Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
"Weight-distribution equipment"??

What the heck is "weight-distribution equipment"??? Is this something only for trailers and not 5vers? Like stabilizers on tow hitches? Seems like it, but this article is not very clear...

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2009/08/rv...towing-mishaps

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Trailers only, but not just travel trailers, car trailers can benefit from them too. They transfer some of the tongue weight via torque bars to help level both the tow vehicle and the trailer.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Yes, for trailers. They transfer weight from the the hitch ball, to the frame of the TV through the hitch to distribute weight farther forward. It basically resists the truck/car and trailer from pivoting down at the hitch ball, which keeps more weight on the front tires for improved steering and braking.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right as others have said, plus there are add-on's to assist in managing sway from passing vehicles.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sounds like an expensive add on that many don't want to put the money into. Govt may get involved in this? Or is this a State by State issue?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right and none of it applies to 5th wheel technology...its all done in an attempt to transfer the load so it emulates putting the load over the rear axle of the tow vehicle.
I had the Reese system on my previous TT which I upgraded to the Reese cam-sway system and it all worked Ok...but gotta say that old 30ft TT didn't pull anywhere near as nice as this 34ft 5er.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
I wouldn't tow a TT without one. My previous RV was a Travel Trailer and I always used the equalizer hitch with an anti-sway bar and at times it was still white knuckle driving in certain wind conditions. I couldn't imagine what the guys going down the road in the "V" configuration were dealing with. But you also have to know how to set your hitch properly. You set it to high and you could severely reduce the weight to your rear wheels and not have the proper traction or not set it high enough and not have adequate steering control.

I never realized how easy a fifth wheel was to tow! I will not go back to a Travel Trailer again!
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I had a weight distribution system (torsion bars)on my 16 foot flatbed trailer that I used for hauling wood and hay when I lived in California. It made a tremedous difference in the way the trailer towed when loaded. I wouldn't tow a pull behind trailer without it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Here is a link that shows a WD hitch is recommended at 6,000 lbs and up:

http://www.drophitch.com/index.asp?P...n=custom&id=14

A WD hitch only pertains to towing at the "bumper" and not a 5er.

I never towed my 7,200 to 9,000 travel trailer without a WD hitch. I also added a sway bar. Some WD hitches integrate the antisway but it depends on how much you want to spend on it. The irritating thing about the sway bar is it had to be removed when backing up. I forgot what would happened if I forgot to remove it, but since I never forgot to remove it, maybe someone else can comment.

I still have my WD hitch just in case.

ON EDIT: My WD hitch made by Husky, rated for 10,000 lbs GTW was $250, so it is quite an expense for a one time use, but above 6,000 lbs you are ASKING FOR TROUBLE not using one. It is even more important to stay within the Back end tow rating of the TV, too. I am sure this is another part of the problem.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I used a weight distributing EZ Lift hitch on our first 18' Prowler TT back in 1967, so WD hitches have been around for quite awhile.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #11
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
Wieght Distribution Equipment is for towing trailers. Typically bars are connected to the trailer frame and then to a weight distribution hitch. This tranfers some of the weight off of the hitch ball and evens on the load. They are quite effective for trailers.
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
You guys ought to remember the old outdoor show stunt from 100 years ago...the guy drives onto the floor in a Olds Toronado with the rear wheels off pulling a trailer?? That was the old EQualizer hitch.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

You guys ought to remember the old outdoor show stunt from 100 years ago...the guy drives onto the floor in a Olds Toronado with the rear wheels off pulling a trailer?? That was the old EQualizer hitch.
I remember it, but I didn't want people to know how old I am...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote