Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
jeffwilliams1954
Established Member

M.O.C. #7585
I think I smell LP gas.

I am wondering if anyone knows I would smell propane in my 07 3400 RL? I noticed it about a week ago and I have since shut off both tanks to make sure that is where the smell is coming from. Sure enough, it dosen't smell like gas when the valves are closed. Could it be a problem with a regulator or maybe it being low on propane? My LP detector hasn't went off yet thank goodness. I would like your feedback on this. Thank you

jeffwilliams1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Could be a lot of things. We had a problem with our 2007 3400RL. When we would come in after a couple hours, and we would smell propane.

This is just our case, but maybe... Our stove pilot light knob leaked. Just had it replaced. Only leaked when the oven pilot light is ON. If not lit - no smell.

Also, as we were concerned that our propane detector was not registering this fairly high concentration, the dealer replaced that also. It took a huge amount of butane from the service tech's lighter to set it off - way too much.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think you have shown you have a leak by the smell going away after you shut it off.

My 2003 had leak in the fitting that crossed over between tanks. I denied it was happening until my Mom commented on the smell. I found it within a few minutes with soap in water and a toothbrush. The dealer fixed it.

You are still under warranty. I wouldn't even mess with it myself. I would get it in to the Dealer and not use it until it's fixed. They should be eager to fix it and have better instrumentation to find the leak. Good luck!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Where do you smell it the strongest? I had this very problem on my way home from the fall rally in Goshen last year. Keystone had even replaced a regulator that was going bad while the coach was in the service center. On the way home I was getting a strong smell of propane up in my bedroom and could not figure out where it was coming from. It took my dealership a good half days investigating to find the leak. It was leaking out of the top of the propane bottle threads where the open/close valve screw into the bottle. The shop gave me a brand new bottle, have not smelt any propane since. You might want to check there.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Good advice above. If you want to "investigate" yourself, I've used a bottle of 409 or such cleaner. Spray on your fittings with the gas on, and look for bubbles! Bingo! You'll know where it's leaking. I had a problem w/the crossover pipe between tanks. Tightening solved the problem. Good luck.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Here is our latest with a "propane" leak. DW woke up at 3 am to wake me up saying that the propane detector was making a noise. Sure enough, there was a chirp every once in a while come from the refer. area. After some swearing, turned off the propane and all was quiet.
Forgot about it, and DW wanted fire to cook dinner. No noise all night long. Next morning at 4 am, more chirps. Sure I could smell propane and had thought we had a leak where the quick disconnect for the propane heater had been installed. Turned off propane and it took a while for the chirping to stop.

Repaired the poor installation, put bubbles on the connections and it looked great. Two nights later, more chirping. Turned off the propane and it didn't stop for a long time. Left it off for a couple of days hoping to buy a leak detector at the RV show. At least there were no cheeps---until day three. Again in the middle of the night. Decided the the hardwired detector was bad and yanked it out. As it lay on the dining table, it chirped again. Must have been its dying breath. Took it outside and locked it in the TV. Then there must have been a ghost! Another chirp! It was the damned smoke detector telling us the battery was low. Always before, they just kept on chirping until you replaced the battery!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote