Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I finally got one!!!

Some time ago I found out that in California, I am supposed to have an RV endorsement if I have only a Class C license, tow a trailer with a GTWR between 10,000 to 15,000 lbs (my Monty is at 14,040) and have less than a 26,000 CGWR.

I finally went to the DMV and went through the test, passed it and they sent me a new license and all this was free of charge. This does not include the time going to the DMV to pick up the booklet, study it, then go in to wait in the lines to take the tests (RV endorsement and Driving knowledge) which I passed.

If you are Class C licensed in California, and tow a trailer of this size, do you have your endorsement? This endorsement did not require the DOT medical test requirement and if your CGWR or GTWR is higher, then the requirement might be higher like a new license (non-commercial Class A?). Just another thing to know about towing trailers, at least in California. I don't think this impacts out-of-state licensed drivers.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Just one more reason I'm happily not a California resident.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Got my endorsement several years ago after reading in the Escapees' Forum. Seems that the CHP was stopping folks headed east out of the Sacramento area. They would check the trailer sticker for weight rating and then see if your license was appropriate. If not the CHP would require someone with the appropriate license to drive OR you would be required to drop your rig where it was and go get your endorsement or find someone authorized to tow your rig!

Anyway I went into the DMV and asked about the endorsement. They looked at me like I had a couple of heads. Finally they found a section that stated what was needed. They had to photocopy the requirements because they did not have any brochures. I ended up having to pay for mine because I was within 6 months of my renewal date.

I have never known personally of anyone ever having a problem because they did not have the endorsement so don't know if it was worth the effort or not. I have been stopped once by the CHP since I got my endorsement (and I was towing). He said nothing about the endorsement so I don't know if it made any difference or not! By the way the nice young CHP officer did not issue me a ticket for my offense. Lucky me.

Would I go through the trouble again? I honestly don't know. I'd think about it but don't know what I'd do. Good luck with whatever you do and Travel Safely! Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Dick,
I suspect each state has its pluses and minuses. Dennis
Old 07-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a money making scheme that many States use to collect $$ from RV'ers.It is a bogus CDL which is not a CDl at all since one does not need a CDL to drive Non Commercial no matter what you weigh.
In Ohio a regular drivers license does the job although I do have a real CDL from a previous job.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Here in Maryland, I've been working with the State Senator about this same issue. Seems that our DMV decided that anyone pulling anything over 10,000# had to have at least a CDL B non commercial license, and the test is the exact same as if you were a commercial driver. So the Senator's office looked into the situation and here is what is now printed in the online DMV manual:

" A Class “C” non-commercial driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds. "

But, I was attempting to have Maryland setup the same as California, just take a written test and get an endorsement on your license. The Senator's office says they are still working on that part.

Oh, and if you want to go get a CDL B non-commercial license, you have to have a vehicle that IS over 26,001#, and someone who already has the license to accompany you to DMV, its just like you don't have a license and you are starting from scratch.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:I suspect each state has its pluses and minuses. Dennis
You're right. In Kansas it's what our tags cost us.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:

Please don't knock my state and I won't knock yours.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:

Dick: I can think or several more. G
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
helmik ... personally living in a state single handedly famous for the largest ball of twine, a nationally labeled "air capital" city that has to pay airlines to use the hub (AirTran), and having miles and miles of nothing with little water to go with nothing ... it's just hard to be humble
Once Californie slides into the ocean ... we'll have to find someone else to razz ... this was all tounge in cheek if you hadn't caught that flavor.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Dieselguy forgot we are also home to the largest hand dug well. Nothing like being famous for a big hole in the ground.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
HamRad, I got REAL lucky. The documentation said within 6 months of past renewal and one will be charged a fee and it had been over 1.5 years since my last renewal, but the dude at the window was so surprised someone actually took the time to achieve the endorsement I think he forgot to charge me for it. It would have been a nominal fee ($15?), but any time you don't have to pay a fee in California is a good thing. This DMV office was familiar with this endorsement process, but you are right, others I've been too and asked about this looked at me like I had three eyeballs. Most CHPs don't know about this too.

My brother used to work for the main CHP office in Sacramento and what he told me is that he thinks the specialty license requirements are only known by the special officers trained to look for these types of infractions. Apparently, there's a whole bunch of other training for these officers after they finish their basic training so this information is not known by the majority of officers unless they learn it for themselves. I also found that there is now a single officer in my city that is now trained to look for these RV and CDL requirements. He made the news and has been VERY busy! Now I'm glad I have my endorsement and I am fully compliant.

The only bad news is that prior license pictures for my renewals always used the old picture from years ago and with this new license they had to take a new one. When I got this new license with the endorsement and the new picture, wow, I've gotten old and ugly! Oh well, the only difference is that I used to be young and ugly.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

...Would I go through the trouble again? I honestly don't know....
I hate to be the one to break the bad news Dennis but that new trailer puts you out of the RV Endorsement (actually I think the proper term is "Section 41 Restriction") and into the land of "Non-Commercial Class A" license which includes a driving test and a bi-annual self-completed health form.

Oh yea, be sure a fully licensed driver delivers your truck and RV to the DMV test site when you take your exam.

P.S. Cali was late to this license party. According to my contacts at the DMV there are six states that license RV drivers and CA actually patterned their requirements after what NV was already doing. The bizarre thing is they have all kinds of hoops for folks dragging a trailer over 10K lbs, but you can drive a 40' motor home weighing over 30K lbs with the same Class C license you got at 16 years old.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #14
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
Got mine about9 years ago after I bought my Montana.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Carl, you are absolutely dead on about Nevada. They require a "J" endorsement for us that tow over 10,000 pounds and an "R" endorsement to tow doubles.

More money for the empty coffers because LEO's are not trained to spot - even NHP Commercial enforcement,
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Do I need any special endorsement to drive in California with my South Dakota license?

Sure hope California takes the money they get from this endorsement spelled "tax" to improve their roads, and state parks. We now avoid California as much as possible because of these terrible conditions. For RVers, IMHO the state parks are expensive, old and poorly managed.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robbie,
You don't need the endorsement unless SD requires one.

Carl,
That is not good news! I didn't share all my problems that were caused by my getting the endorsement. Since I take a lot of meds and have a bit of high BP and diabetes the DMV decide I needed to do the medical screening! I thought the problem was with the endorsement but just before they took my license away I finally understood what they were talking about. The issue was my general health plus the narcotics I was taking. I thought for sure my RVing days were over!

I ended up having to take the medical review plus take the written as well as the actual driving test again! No big deal with either test..... and no additional cost..... Just the hassle of going thru all the hoops! Took about two years but finally got a total clearance from the DMV and a license that is good for the normal 5 years.

I suspect that 95% of CA RV drivers that need the endorsement don't have it. As far as needing the additional license...... wellll. Guess I'll have to think about the new stuff. Guess I wouldn't have any trouble since I essentially already had to do about everything the Non-commercial "A" license requires. I just hate to have to do it all again! And I think you have to do it every two years! I'd have to check on that.

California's parks for the most part have really gone downhill and now they are very expensive. Wanted to stay at Morro Bay SP (no vacancy) and it would have cost $50 per night! That would be FHUs but still that is as much or more than some of the commercial parks! I can't remember the last time we stayed in a CA park.

I don't really think the state makes any money on doing the endorsement thing. There usually isn't even a charge. And they certainly didn't make any money off of all my dealings with them. Of course they make up for all these things by charging an arm and a leg for vehicle registration and sales tax! I'm pretty sure I balanced the CA State budget when I registered my new rig! Travel safely folks. Dennis
Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Hey Robbie you should know by now not to believe everything you read on the internet. The alleged Fee/Tax/Overcharge/Ripoff for the CA RV license is:

Section 41 Restriction - Towing a 5th wheel of 10K to 15K - No Charge

Non-Commercial Class A - Towing a 5th wheel over 15K - $39 every 5 years (v. a normal Class C license fee of $31 every 5 years).

This licensing only applies to CA residents and out-of-state visitors are not subject to these requirements.

The State Parks are everything you said. I don't see much change in them given the games being played the Governor, Legislature, and the Department of Parks and Recreation officials. Google "CA hidden park funds" and "CA parks vacation buyout" for two very recent examples.

Dennis:
The Non-Commercial Class A requires you to submit a new self-completed medical form every two years. A real CDL requires a doctor to provide your medical form every two years.

The license is good for five years.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carl,
Thanks for the info. After reading your post and remembering all I went through I agree. My problem comes when they read my med report. That causes them to call for the additional requirements. The stuff I report causes them to question whether I represent a danger to other drivers. So you may end up having to present more than just a "self reporting medical" report. But if you're healthy and don't take any heavy duty meds then you should end up only having to do the self report. Thanks again for all the good info. Dennis
Old 08-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Do I need any special endorsement to drive in California with my South Dakota license?

On a non-commercial vehicle if your license/registration is valid for your setup in your "home" state then you are legal in all states.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote