Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
PEST CONTROL IN RV

HELP! HELP! I opened a kitchen drawer last night and there was a small (not a baby) possum in the drawer laying on my kitchen towels. It just looked at me and made no move. I called animal control and someone came out after a couple of hours. Yep you guessed it, the possum was gone from the drawer. He checked all the other drawers and under the cabinet and couldn't find it. I'm hoping it got out the same way it came in, which is another mystery. I put a packet of Havoc under the cabinet and hope that will do the trick. I'll appreciate any and all advice. Thanks

ajjoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You don't list the make, model and year of your trailer.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Sorry 'bout that. It's a 34' 2002 Arctic Model.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Do you mean Artic?? Is that the brand??? If it is a Montana, then, your model number is a number, as ours is. we have a 3295 RK.

Model numbers sometimes can be found on the outside wall, right by the entry door.

Good luck!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My 02 3295, I know different, had a back the water heater stoored in the back corner. The installers cut a big 2.5'x2.5' hole to allow access for install and wiring. They did not close up that hole. So I believe you may find things like that on your model. You will have to look. Not sure where you water heater is located.

I did put Bay leaves in our unit when I winterized it. I believe they worked well.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Do you mean Artic?? Is that the brand??? If it is a Montana, then, your model number is a number, as ours is. we have a 3295 RK.

Model numbers sometimes can be found on the outside wall, right by the entry door.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
It is Arctic (meaning very cold), 3295 RK. And, yes it is a Montana Keystone.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think ajjoez is referring to the arctic package for Montanas....

I have a feeling momma possum came by and rescued the baby. What you don't know is if momma left the trailer with the whole brood after being discovered, or just created a more hidden home within the rig. There are lots of spaces where momma can nest and with the very thin walls can probably gnaw away to gain space and nesting materials.

I believe you're gonna need to open a whole lot of panels to ensure the possum family is gone from your rig completely. Be very careful, I have seen them play dead but not around their younguns, then they get mean-looking and hiss and make all kinds of fuss. I'd wear big gloves, and make lots of noise as you scout around and open things up and expect a fight. If you have lots of fear, you might have to pay someone, but you'll definitely want to check.

I can't imagine these things traveling with you and worse case is that poor opossum family getting separated as you travel. There's a place for all of God's creatures somewhere, just not in YOUR rig.

Keep us posted. This forum is riddled with all kinds of "visitor" stories and their results.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
This wasn't a baby. but not big enough to be the mama so hopefully it's the only one. We no longer travel, but still do live in our RV in Ft Worth (Cowtown), Texas. We live in an RV park, but somehow these critters can make their way around in the city. Can't imagine they'd want to; we'd love to live in the country again, however circumstances are such that it's not feasible now. We did Workamping for several years and really, really enjoyed that, especially when we worked on the Strait of Juan de Fuca in Washington and lived right on the strait. We do love the ocean and the mountains. AND the climate. This summer Texas has given us a preview of how hot it must be in HELL and I'm really sure I don't want to go.