Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Clogged AC drain?

Today I set up my one year old Monty 3150. It was 90 degrees here in Louisiana and the humidity was high. I turned on the AC and visited with my neighbors for several hours and then came to my RV after dark. What I found right under my rear AC vent was water that had leaked on the chair and floor and it must have been leaking for some time. When I went outside I could see that some water had drained on the rear left side of the RV but none had drained on the right rear side. Does this sound like a clogged AC drain and if so is there anything I can do about this before taking it to the dealer?

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
With high humidity, I'd keep the A/C fan on high instead of auto for more air flow. You might remove the filter door off the inside ceiling cover and snug the 4 bolts that clamp the A/C to the roof. You want the gasket to compress evenly about 50%. As to the water running off the roof ... if you're slightly off level, the water will usually drain off the lower side. You can always remove the half a dozen screws and pop off the outer shroud to see if something is in the drain holes in the metal pan the compressor is bolted to.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I had a very similar event early on. Iadjusted the pressure on the seal as suggested before. No further problems.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
So, first thing this morning I tried the first two things you suggested. I put the AC on fan only and took off the filter. After letting it run a while I went outside to climb on the roof to check the bolts and I could already see that the drain was flowing freely.

Maybe cranking up the AC this morning in 60 degree weather had something to do with it, rather than trying to cool down an already hot RV in 90 degree weather.

Anyway, the aC is draining fine now. I am anxious to see how it does this afternoon when it is 90 degrees again. Of course by that time the unit will have been cooled all morning. I will wait to see what happens before I take the cover off to see if the there is a clogged drain. .
Old 05-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just so we're on the same page ... I meant leave the A/C on cool, but put the fan on high instead of automatic. The compressor will cycle, but the fan will run continuously on high speed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
I understood what you said about leaving the fan on cool but turning it off of automatic. As I last said, the next day the unit ran fine in the morning (60 degrees and the humidity was lower). But, in the middle of the afternoon heat the thing started draining again on the inside of the RV. I still had it on fan and I had the filter removed. When I first turned the unit on Saturday morning it drained down both the right and left side of the RV just like it should. That should tell me that the drain isn't clogged shouldn't it? I checked the bolts on the unit cover and they are all tight. Still at a loss. First time this has ever happened.