Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Black Tank Problem

Black water tank appears to be blocked/plugged and believe problem is likely at outlet end. Slide/blade valve is working properly as I get some minimal flow when it's open. Need some ideas as to how best to resolve/fix this blockage. Thanks, B

barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First stick a hose down the John and stand back.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
barmar, I'm thinking I would call a RV Tech, or plumber, that has a camera that can snake down the drain pipe to see where the plug is before starting to pull things apart. Have not experienced the dreaded "PLUG" but did have the tank replaced due to a crack. Not a nice job, to say the least. A plumber may be able to break things up......I have heard that when they cut the opening for the drain holes on these tanks that sometimes that piece drops into the tank and they don't remove it and it eventually gets sideways and causes problems. Good Luck though!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I had a clear elbow with a hose connection to reverse flush my old TT. I wonder if closing the other tanks leaving the black tank open and use the reverse flush with a garden hose might help dis-lodge the bockage. Might be worth a try.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I recently had the same problem with the black tank. I think we may have bought the wrong paper.
I filled the gray tank and opened the gray and black at the same time and the gray flushed into the black and broke it loose.
When the gray was about two thirds empty I closed the valve and let the black drain and I flushed at the same time until it ran clear.
I then dumped the rest of the gray after closing the black to clean the lines.
Hope this works for you.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sounds like a TP blockage or a piramed that has slid to the opening and blocking the flow. good luck if it were me I would call the honey dipper truck they will clear the blockage.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I, like brenkco, have used a Flush King occasionally.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Did the blockage occur because you left your black water valve open? I know that's a dumb question to ask but recently we met with someone who said she always leaves her black water valve open and uses a lot of water. That won't work because you can't flush enough water to get the stuff out due to the very slight slant of the outlet.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
If the Flush King doesn't work I think I would try a plumbers blowbag if you can snake the hose and blowbag up the black tank dump line. Thinking I could do that on our 3000rk. Not sure of the piping on the 3400. If it worked you would definately know as you can hear the water flow change as the blockage is removed. Shut the valve and turn off the water at the same time (two person job)to avoid putting pressure on the dump valve. Let us know how you come out. Jim
Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Thanks for all your ideas. I tried a bunch of different approaches frontend/backend with water flushers, etc but nothing worked. Had a mobile RV Tech drop by and $155. lighter I was still no further ahead as he tried some of the same stuff I did with no luck--his conclusion was a foreign object in the tank and big $$ to investigate/fix. Decided to hook up the rig this morning and with 2/3 black water on board hit the road for about 1/2 hour to shake up the black water----IT WORKED!! Regret I didn't do this before calling the RV Tech so lesson learned.
barmar is offline   Reply With Quote