Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
ksb72

M.O.C. #10765
Slides stall!

It has been awhile for me but our slides seem to stall out when we put them in or out. The motor just stops. WE wait and push the in/out and they come in/out. Thank you for your help.

ksb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
When you wait do you hear a click coming from the front storage of the coach? It could be the auto reset breaker resetting.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There can be many reasons - I'll cover the four that worked for me...

1. Check the fluid reservoir when the slides are in. Use ATF Type A or comparable to refill to 1/4" from the top or the reservoir. (It came from the dealer like this - another good reason for a PDI, which I did not do.)

2. Make sure your batteries are in good condition - fully charged, topped off with distilled water. The batteries should be connected even when using shore power/12v converter.

3. Make sure the rig is level and stabilized (stabilizers nice and tight) to prevent any extra movement of trailer as the slides are moving in or out. The manual is not clear on this, but it's there.

4. Larger autoresetting fuse(s) - (80 or 100amps), or install two 40 or 50 amps in parallel to get the same rating (use the same values). The 40 or 50 amp are easier to find and much cheaper than a single 80 or 100amp. If you use the dual circuit breakers you will also need to construct a couple of jumper/shunts, using #6 wire and with connectors. Here's a picture. The red jumper/shunt goes to the battery, the black jumper shunt goes to the "auxiliary" or in this case the slideout motor. But use can used any color of wire you want. I used Red and Black for myself to differentiate the Bat and Aux connections. Lippert (vendor for the slides) has a documented procedure on this tendency and if you need it I can send it to you.

All of these cases eventually caused my slides to have this problem because any stress may cause an increase in amperage and therefore a problem. Now that I keep the batteries charged, the fluids filled, the stabilizers in place prior to slide movements and the dual CBs are installed, I have had NO problems with my slides. I can't do anything about the speed of them, but when my wife operates the slides this speed allows me enough time to get around and make sure there won't be any problems.

If I do have a problem in the future it will be because of a significant problem and then another member will have to step in because this is beyond me.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Very common problem several of us have had. Usually it is the auto reset circuit breaker for the slides. Some have installed two breakers in parallel (as noted by Art) or installed a higher amperage breaker. Some of us have simply replaced the old 50 amp breaker with a new 50 amp breaker and solved the problem. Apparently just a weak breaker.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Ours was a 30 amp breaker which was replaced by the 50.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
I just upgraded to a 50 Hi-Amp Auto-Reset breaker. Worked fine ever since.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I put in two 40 amps as previously mentioned and recommended by Lippert back in 06 and haven't had the first problem since then. And having a 3400 I have 4 slides to contend with.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Is this happening when you use the remote or the switch inside? If it only happens with the remote the remote battery is probably low.
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If it used to work fine but now it doesn't, then something is causing it to draw more amperage than it used to. That could cause it to exceed the rating on the breaker, so it pops the breaker. When the breaker cools, it closes and you can move the slides again.

It is easy to assume it's a bad breaker and sometimes that is indeed the case. But the most common reason for a breaker to pop is increased amperage draw because the slides are harder to move because the lubrication on the rail teeth and in the gearpack has dried out or otherwise quit doing a good job of lubricating.

When I start having this problem the first thing I do is lubricate (use a dry lube, even silicone if you have to) the slide rails and I shoot a little into the gear pack that runs the rails in and out. That almost always fixes this problem for me. It's cheap to find out and if that doesn't fix it, then move to the next possible solution. Just a suggestion but one that works for me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ksb72

It has been awhile for me but our slides seem to stall out when we put them in or out. The motor just stops. WE wait and push the in/out and they come in/out. Thank you for your help.
Yep as everyone here has said replace the circuit breaker. I used a 80 Amp Car Circuit Breaker cost about $8.00 + shipping. There are many that have adds on eBay Stores, here is example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/80A-CIRCUIT-BREA...item4aa4c0fa4f

It started out being the front and rear feet would not go up or down unless I used the remote. Then got worse from there. I had my unit up to CW three times, and they never figure it out. I replaced the Circuit Breaker with one above, and have not had any more trouble.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
shotdir

M.O.C. #10807
I would like to say thank you to Art of Atr n Marge.

He sent me pictures, instructions, PDF's, Lippert info and everything I needed to make this the easiest project I have ever done!

What a guy, he even volunteered to come over and help if I needed it.

Art, Thank you very much

Ed
shotdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
These MOC folks ... are they great or what?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shotdir

I would like to say thank you to Art of Atr n Marge.

He sent me pictures, instructions, PDF's, Lippert info and everything I needed to make this the easiest project I have ever done!

What a guy, he even volunteered to come over and help if I needed it.

Art, Thank you very much

Ed
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote