Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Jekyll Island Georgia, Camp Ground

Well, we are away from the stick house again. I sure will be glad when DW retires. Like I have mentioned before, with her limited time off from work we are stuck with short three and four day weekend trips. This week she managed to take Thursday and Friday off. So we headed up to Jekyll Island Wednesday evening. This is a great camp ground with a lot of shade, and close to a lot of things to do. Only thing that is on the down side is, there is no paved sites or patios. We really enjoy being here,and of course it's close to home, so it fits our short trips. Oh! yes, don't let me go without mentioning, the Seafood Restaurants. A couple of my favorites are, Blackwater Grill and Barbara Jeans, both are just a short drive over to St. Simons Island. If you are ever in the area, you may want to check this area out. I'm sure some of you may have already done so...Joe

ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
Hey Joe, what else do you recommend in that area. We are looking at taking a "get away trip" around the first of the month and looking for places to go and things to do. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Van
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Van, Let me mention that there is a great bike trail that rus all the way around Jekyll Island, if you and DW enjoy bicycle riding. It's about 22 miles long. We break it up and ride it over two days. Anyway there is a lot of history right her on the island that dates all the way back to the mid 1500's, with some of the old ruins still standing. The main Historic District has several home that were owned and occupied around 1900. Also, the Georgia Sea Turtle Center is located here,and is very interesting. Brunswick, Ga is just a few minutes drive, loads of shopping and dining. Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, is about 1-1/2 hrs. away. Jacksonville, Fl, is about an hour south of here. I guess it all depends on what you are looking to do, and how far you wish to drive. I hope this helps you out some. We enjoy just getting away, riding the bikes, walking on the beach and relaxing...Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
we love the place also have been many times. Two things we have found: there is just a small grocery store on the island and things tend not to be very fresh and expensive. Get your groceries before you get on the island. We needed soda and a 12 pack was almost $8.00 when we where there two years ago. Also we went late in the season last time around April and the no see'ms as they call them where horrible. It was hard to enjoy the beautiful place when you felt like dinner for the bugs when you went outside. If you looked around everyone was swating them away. I think they are there starting in April. Besides that we love it there.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote