Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Slide Out won't extend

Help!!! My slides won't extend, they will retract fine. I have checked the fluid and the batteries. Any suggestions before I take it in and run up a huge bill?

pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would think the solenoid on the pump is not changing motor rotation. Might do a little electrical trouble shooting on it, checking wiring and for voltage. If possible, you might try running the pump with a drill and see if the slides will extend. I think that is a different brand pump than the newer units, so you may or may not be able to use the drill.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Thank you Willie. The pump not changing rotation sounds good but I am not sure where there would be a solenoid. It appears to be a motor, pump, and a reservoir for the oil. It does not opperate with a drill but it has a ratchet like a jack to operate the slides by hand. I've tried a new battry, hooking it up to shore power and my truck. The battery does not seem to be the problem, allthough it ran out this morning after being plugged in all night.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
If you can access the back side of the switch, check for loose connections. Bill
The switch contacts could be melted too.
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
I don't see a problem with the switch. It works and sounds the same when you operate the inside switch or the one next to the pump. Is it possible that some gunk could have gotten into the hoses. I can't figure out why it will come in so easy and won't go out. The oil seems to be flowing because when I overfill the res. and get it started out, then when it stops, I bring it back in and it pushes the excess oil out of the res.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
I believe your polarity reversing solenoid by Trombetta is faulty. You can find that unit on the Lippert web site and the part #214-123-A61-06 is listed for $69.95. This solenoid is along side the pump and very easy to change. You can switch the wires on top of the unit to check if your switch is OK and not sure but may you be able to move your slides out by reversing the wires and then changing them back to close.
I had mine go out in a 2980RL on a rainy night and not a good feeling.
I assume that you have hydraulic slides and if not this information is for naught.
I took mine to a dealer the next day and their tech tested my solenoid using that method.
Did not have a replacement but put in a used one he had in the shop and it is still working. I now carry a spare to replace the current one when that fails.
Good luck.
The Kountry Traveler
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pchaas

Thank you Willie. The pump not changing rotation sounds good but I am not sure where there would be a solenoid. It appears to be a motor, pump, and a reservoir for the oil. It does not opperate with a drill but it has a ratchet like a jack to operate the slides by hand. I've tried a new battry, hooking it up to shore power and my truck. The battery does not seem to be the problem, allthough it ran out this morning after being plugged in all night.
Like I said, I think you have the old style pump. Seems it changed in 2003 or so. Something has to change the fluid flow. On the current pumps, it is done by reversing the motor on the pump. Seems someone on the site just replaced a pump like you have; perhaps they will chime in.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote