Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
Roadster31
Established Member

M.O.C. #5548
Brake problem

I have an intermitten brake problem on a 3500RL. After stop and go driving in city traffic the brake controller goes wild and indicates an "over load". I am told that is a direct short. Took it back to dealer and he did not fix it. Called Keystone today and they found me a closer dealer. I am going to try then oin Monday.
Has anyone had this problem?? Any ideas?? I think it is in the magnets but can't prove it. Any help will be appreciated

Roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:51 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ted,

Hopefully J&D will jump in on this. He was descibing a problem with the wiring to the brakes scraping somewhere (brake hub or spring) and causing a short. I don't know the details, but there were a couple of folks that said they had similar problems.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Ted
I had the same problem, as well as others, and we found a short in the magnet wire inside the wheel.
On mine the actuator arm had rubbed a bare place in the wire and would short out after using the brakes a few times. The worn place was very small and I really had to look hard.
Hope this helps.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:49 AM   #4
PAIC 01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6429
I had a brake problem on my 06 336RLT with less than 500 miles on it The dealer kept telling me it was working just fine. I took the liberty of taking the wheels off myself and found ALL of the brakes shoes were worn/broke/cracked etc. The brakes had overheated and basically ruined everything. It took another month to finally get Keystone to replace all of the brake components, including the drums and all bearings. They finally admitted or more like suggested there was a short in the system somewhere. We never did find it because I believe it was corrected when everything was replaced.

Good Luck.

Giddyup!

jpp
PAIC 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:00 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
The "goes wild" part before the OL indication was similar to our problem, but it turned out to be corroded wiring in the tow vehicle at the conncetor end. Actually, as I recall, it was in the area of the connector we don't use (there are two connectors on our TV) Easy enough to check that out first and save the time/effort of towing the rig. Just a thought..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Ted, We had the same symptoms and the problem was a short at the right rear wheel brake magnet. The only way I could "prove" this wasn't in the TV was to recreate the problem on the lot by jamming the brakes while thay had their diagnostic tools on between the TV and trailer. Good luck.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
This subject has not been discussed in some time and I thought that Dexter had solved the problem. Yes, I was another one with a wire caught behind the actuator on the passenger side rear wheel. That is the one that you should have the dealer check first.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Ted,

As Brad said, heres a copy of an older posting.

"For those of us out there pulling our monties with 2005 Ford trucks with the integrated brake controller.

Like others, I kept getting warnings on the message board in the center of my dashboard telling me my trailer has become unplugged. that in itself was bad enough but that constant beep that came with each warning was enough to drive you nuts.

Now thanks to this MOC Forums I found the problem. It is not easy just to pop over to our dealer (100 miles away plus a ferry to catch ), it costs too much to go there with every little thing that's wrong, so I try to fix as much as I can on my own.

I had checked all connections, ( junction box under the pin box and all the connections to the brake drums, and could not find any problem.
I was sure my truck was OK as we have pulled our last trailer all over the west coast and never had a problem.

...........anyways after reading as much as I could find on this forum I decided it must be inside one of the brake drums. Now which one?
It seems that most of the problems were found in the right rear drum, so why not. I took the tire and then the drum off and there it was, right there.

The Magnet has two wires going to it and one of them was rubbed right thru to the copper wire. The wires have two little clips that hold them to the actuator Arm, and one had come loose or was never clipped on. The rubbed part of the wire was about 1 & 1/2 " in front of the magnet. It was rubbing on the face of the brake drum right where the wheel studs go thru the drum. Not a hard fix, a little Electrician's tape, Hook up the wire clip properly, make sure nothing is going to rub and put the drum and `wheel back together. Took it out for a 15 mile ride a little while ago and not a peep.

thanks to everyone who takes the time to post on this forum. It can be very educational when we all work together, like we do on Montanaowners.com

John & Dawn "
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yes! Been there done that for me it was ALL 4 wheels... My brake controller would look ok for a bit then suddenly start rapid flashing the leds, had the Sentinel back then now have a Prodigy which I did just because not for this issue. Anyway here's whats being described as potential or likey cause and make sure the wire routing is correctly done.
Chuck
Incorrectly routed and insulation rubbed through

Correctly routed

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #10
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Thanks for the good info. I don't have the problem, but the info will be filed away for future reference.

I just love this MOC website and ALL the good info.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:22 AM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Same problem here installed two new magnets in warranty. Also wrapped all four magnets wires with wire Spiral wrap tubing after 15,000 miles no problems so far.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote