Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
2004 3295RK Shower Question

I have an old Montana 3295RK I am constantly tinkering with, and one of the improvements I want to make is to install a real shower valve!

I have owned 5 - 5ers in the last 20 years, and this is the first one that has had no access to the back side of the shower plumbing. It is against a cabinet in the LR right by the entry door. There are no removable access panels.

Can those valves be removed / serviced from the front side?

On another note... we conserve water when we shower by shutting off the flow at the shower head rather than closing both valves. When it's rinse time there is always an ice cold stream of water for a few seconds (not bad when it's expected) and that is why I want a single handle valve like a Moen so that we can remedy that issue.

That phenomena has happened in every camper I have owned. Can anyone explain why that happens?

Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I have a 2002 3295RK that I changed out the shower valve in. I cut a large portion of the closet wall behind shower and then cut a piece of 1/4” Oak plywood to seal it back together. I installed a single valve handle Delta shower system in place of the old tub valves. Easy job to do if you have a few woodworking tools.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #3
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I figured that is what I would have to do. I have some other work to do on that cabinet anyway dealing with a wall mount TV the PO put up there... That project is in the works, so I will just incorporate the shower valve there.

Did that valve cure the cold water mixing thing? Still wondering why that happens. Seems to have something to do with the shower head valve not closing 100%. If I close both hot and cold valves on the faucet all is fine. Wish I could get my head around what is going on there!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
One thing I did install on the water system is a recirculating system that helps with the problem of having to waste so much cold water till you get hot water to the shower. But as for the cold water mixing thing I think you are referring to the problem of getting a shot of cold water while showing. If that it is what’s going on it is caused by the wife using hot water for dishes at the same time I am in the shower. Brrr..
Old 06-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
I figured that is what I would have to do. I have some other work to do on that cabinet anyway dealing with a wall mount TV the PO put up there... That project is in the works, so I will just incorporate the shower valve there.

Did that valve cure the cold water mixing thing? Still wondering why that happens. Seems to have something to do with the shower head valve not closing 100%. If I close both hot and cold valves on the faucet all is fine. Wish I could get my head around what is going on there!
When you shut the showerhead off with the little push button valve, the cold water is usually under a little more pressure than the hot. The two handled shower faucet allows the ccccold to be pushed back into the hot side.
Darned uncomfortable if you forget!
Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
When you shut the showerhead off with the little push button valve, the cold water is usually under a little more pressure than the hot. The two handled shower faucet allows the ccccold to be pushed back into the hot side.
Darned uncomfortable if you forget!
Mark
That’s a wired phenomenon. Funny how cold pressure overcomes the hot... especially if the water heater is running. (Heating water expands) Issue seems more prevelant when using pump vs. city water connection.

I’ll be installing a new valve soon!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
LOL ours does the same thing dishes being washed or not, I just move out of the line of fire for a second.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I installed a shower head without a shut off valve as I do not like the shut off on the handle. We dry camp quite a bit and do not have a problem with water conservation. I installed a two handle mixing valve, one with Hot/Cold and one with flow. I works great.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
There is a cure for the burst of cold water. I have done this on all my campers. Simply install a one way check valve in the cold water line to the shower
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
There is a cure for the burst of cold water. I have done this on all my campers. Simply install a one way check valve in the cold water line to the shower
Would that then require you to blow out or purge with antifreeze for winter? As the low point drain wouldn’t drain the shower valve?

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Yes it would require you to blow out of antifreeze because water would be trapped. I use antifreeze anyway so no big deal for me. I don't trust blowing out. Know way of knowing for sure if there is a pocket of water left somewhere.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I think the check valve on the back of the water heater that is there for winterizing is the cause of the cold burst when you turn the water back on in the shower. The spring loaded valve stops any hot water to flow when the button on the shower wand is closed. The extremely slow water flow isn’t enough to keep the check valve open, so the only water flowing is the cold, until you open the valve on the wand when hot water starts flowing again. If you never had to winterize, you could just remove the check valve and probably would never have a cold burst of water again.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:28 AM   #13
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I think the check valve on the back of the water heater that is there for winterizing is the cause of the cold burst when you turn the water back on in the shower.
Plausible, but I cannot agree. Only 2 of the 5 rigs I have owned in the last 20 years had the check valve. 1 of them had no water heater bypass. 2 of them had a 3 valve system you had to use to bypass the water heater.

All of them had this phenomena.

It doesn't matter if I am hooked up to city water, or using the onboard pump. Same thing happens! I don't understand the physics. If anything one would think the heating water in the heater (expanding) would win out in the pressure war, but it never does. Good thing too I guess... would hate to get scalded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje
Good idea, but like MARK A said... you would have to be careful winterizing.

My answer is going to be installing a residential type valve and related plumbing in my shower later this summer as part of a cabinet remodel. I'll take pictures and share here when I get to it.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
i have a similar issue with SB. only it is really hot when turning shower shutoff back on
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote