Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #21
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Typically the outlets in an RV are designed as. Sefl contained. Not needing an in wall box. If you make the change be sure to install a box. Be certain to check the depth of the wall to be certain the box will fit. Either 15 or 20 amp is good as the circuit breaker protects the wiring. There are in wall boxes that install using a toggle system and you can get them is SHALLOW configuration.

paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #22
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
There are 1A. and 2A. USB outlets and now even 3A. Also the regular 110V plug in converters come in all sizes. Read the output specs. on the unit. Some are as low as 500ma. They won't even charge my phone. You should use at least 1000ma or 1200ma. My Motorola Turbo charger puts out 1600ma and puts a full charge in my turbo phone in about an hour.
DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #23
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We have one that has seven ports, we take it when we travel via air or cruise. Great in the hotel room or cabin.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #24
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I see no point in changing out to receptacles with USB ports since the adaptors work just fine and can be moved to where you need them to be.

I will however mention that we boondock a lot, so I installed several 12 volt cigarette lighter stile outlets so we can charge up phones or whatever when we are not on shore power.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #25
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I see no point in changing out to receptacles with USB ports since the adaptors work just fine and can be moved to where you need them to be.

I will however mention that we boondock a lot, so I installed several 12 volt cigarette lighter stile outlets so we can charge up phones or whatever when we are not on shore power.

Real boon dockers leave their their phones at home!!

Who wound Jeff up again?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #26
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
There are literally dozens of USB outlet chargers on Amazon. I considered changing one out but since there are multiple portable outlet plug in chargers that can be moved around as needed, decided to go that way. The Anker brand is what we are using.

Also, even with a breaker limiting an outlet, a 20 amp receptacle has a different configuration for a specific 20 amp plug. Yes, 15 amp plugs also work too, Not really a good choice when limited to 15 amps as someone in the future (a technician?)may decide that it's OK to use for a high load device.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote