Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Montana_2591
Established Member

M.O.C. #2591
Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point)

Hi
It's been a while since I've been here.
Can anybody give me a suggestion about staying in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. The Playa Bonita Park is full. Has anyone stayed at any of the others. I'm a bit concerned about it.

Your info would be really appreciated.

Michael T.
Mountaineer 318

Montana_2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
mtjtb04,
Michael we were in Puerto Penasco for the first time last February. We were only there for a few days but it was very nice. We stayed in a CG very near Playa Bonita..... Playa del Oro. Actually I think they are just across the street from one another.

West of town about 4 or 5 miles there is an area that can be used for boondocking. It is just west of the high rise condos they're building. By now they may not allow boondocking there. And adjacent to that area is a very nice full hookup RV park. I do not remember the name of it but it was very nice. Both of these areas are right on the beach! Sorry I don't have more specific information. Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Montana_2591
Established Member

M.O.C. #2591
Thanks, we might give it a try next week.

Michael
Montana_2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #4
Montana_335
Established Member

M.O.C. #335
We camp in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) a few times year, just returned home 10/12th.

Playa Bonita is not next to Playa De Oro. Playa Elegante RV Park is. This is the park we always stay at.
The RV Park on Sandy Beach Is The Reef. Nice large spaces right on the beach and they just completed a great restaurant. Had breakfast there last trip. It is a little further out of town but quieter.
I will attempt to forward some links to the campgrounds for you. You may have to cut and paste.
If you need more info I have numerous web sites for you

http://thereefrvpark.com
http://www.playabonitaresort.com
http://elegantervpark.com
http://playadeoro-rv.com
Montana_335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
CathynMel,
Thank you for the information. Glad someone was there to straighten me out!

By the way when we were there they had free wifi. Actually could connect to Playa de Oro and if that didn't work could sometimes connect to Playa Elegante wifi. Don't know if they've changed or not.

Do you know if the boondocking area is still available?

Thanks again for the great info. HamRad
Old 10-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Montana_335
Established Member

M.O.C. #335
HamRad,
Yes wifi is available at both campgrounds.
Yes, you can still boondock next to the Reef on Sandy Beach. When we had breakfast at the new restaurant we could see the RV's on the beach.

Cathy
Old 10-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Cathy,
Thanks for the updated info. Puerto Penasco is a nice place and we definitely want to go back sometime but won't we able to do so this coming year. Maybe next.

We are going to try making Quartzite. Are you folks going?

HamRad
Old 10-27-2005, 05:13 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Cathynmel, What do you think our chances would be if we just went there withour reservations around the first of December? Bill is getting the itch to try Mexico for a week before we head for Yuma and Quartzite.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Ademoll,
I think you will be OK at the reef. The ones in town might be full. The other option is the RV parks on the way into town. They are in the desert some distance from the beach but it does provide for a plan "B" if things are too full up.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:27 AM   #10
Montana_335
Established Member

M.O.C. #335
Adelmoll, I think you will be able to find a space at a campground along the beach. “The Reef” is a good suggestion too. We have never camped on the outskirts of town. Our purpose in camping in RP is to be near the water. Outside of town is too far from the water for us. Also, don’t forget about Playa Bonita. Check out the web sites I forward on my previous post. If you need more let me know and I can send them on to you. If push comes to shove and nothing is available because of all the Snowbirds, then l it would have to be on the outskirts. Out last trip a few weeks ago showed a few new campgrounds on the way into town on the left side. Have fun; I just love Rocky Point and its people!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:37 AM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Ademol,
One other thought. We lived in Rocky Point for several years and noticed that the tourists really drop off between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is almost like August. Never figured out why but it should make it easier to find a place at that time.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks for your help. I think we will just wing it like we usually do. Only once were we stuck without at least and electric site and that was in Medora, ND on the 4th of July about 5 years ago. The temp went up tp 102 degrees that day and all we had was a spot to dry camp. We drove around a lot that day in the a/c truck. Not bad though when you consider we have been traveling for about 8 years and very seldom make reservations. We do try to stop early in the day and many times have gotten the last spot or maybe put up in a dry spot for one night but move to another the next morning.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:11 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
adelmoll,
I doubt you'll have any trouble getting a place. I think the only thing to really avoid is "Spring Break". The college students take over.

Go and enjoy. Hope to see you folks at Quartzite.

And don't forget that the Organ Pipe National Monument is on your way to Puerto Penasco. They have a very nice park. Very natural setting but the sites are concrete. They have very limited generator hours. I believe they are 12 noon to 4pm. There is an excellent driving tour just to the east of the park. Well worth the trip.

HamRad
Old 10-29-2005, 04:50 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Wow Dennis. Thanks a lot. We planned on stopping to see the Organ Pipe but never gave it a thought about staying there. We'll be sure to try that.

When do you and Mary Kay go to "Q"? We'll look forward to some hints from you as this is our first time there.

Helen
Old 10-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #15
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
Forgot about spring break. Does anyone know what time of the spring to avoid in Puerto Penasco. We are thinking about going down the first two weeks of March........hope that is a little early.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:20 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Helen,
I thought you folks had been to Quartzite before. If you're coming up from the south then you'll see lots of folks between Yuma and Q. The largest areas right on 95 are located about 6 miles south of Hwy I-10. The BLM actually has some CG areas setup in that area. Not much there but they do have trash pick up and I believe they even have dump stations. They also provide water of some sort. Can't remember if it is a tanker that they bring in or from wells in the area. The main thing being that they are somewhat organized in these places. There is a charge for staying in these areas.

Of course there are some commercial parks in town also. To stay in one of these you probably needed to make reservations at least a year ago.

Located all around the town are places where you can just pull off the road and setup camp. No organization no fee no services. Now having said that.... there are folks who provide dump station services for you right at your trailer. They charged about 15 dollars per visit last year. Just call the "Honey Wagon". If you want fresh water for your on board water then they have folks that come around and do that too. Don't know what they charge. There are both dump and water stations in town. Pretty reasonable. But can be really busy. If you pick your time and day it can go really fast. You just have to watch and see what will work for you.

We plan to be in Q about the Th or so and will probably stay for about a week to 10 days. Then we'll be heading back home. By the way we will most likely stay north of town about 6 miles on Plomosa RD. Much less dust out this way. We hope to see you and several of the others that will be at the big Q. Should be a real hoot. You've never seen so many RVers in one spot in the whole world. And they sell EVERYTHING here. There are shows and booths setup all over the downtown area. You can shop till you drop!

Good luck and let us know if we can answer any questions you might have. Dave Anderson and Gypsy will both be there and they both have lots of experience in this area too. So see you all soon.

HamRad and PERetired
Old 10-29-2005, 09:24 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
thook,
I think you'll be OK with that date. But you may want to visit the Phoenix and Tucson Universities and see when they break for the spring. Seems like it is a little later.

But heck as young as you guys are you can just join in the crowd and no one would know the difference. Have fun.

HamRad
Old 10-30-2005, 02:01 AM   #18
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks again Dennis. We have been through Q before but never stayed there. This time we will be staying with the Escapees "Fulltiming Class of '05". Just want to make sure we see you guys too while we are there so keep us posted when you arrive.

Helen