Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #21
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
The difference in cost from 7k to 8k use to be $500. I had the 7k installed on account even loading heavy I was still in specs. Mor-Ryde weighed the rv before and recommended the 7k on account they new I wanted a better ride and the 7k is not as stiff as the 8k. As said the weight of axles is usually not the problem.The 8k hubs come with the Kodiak brakes no matter which axle weight you get. I run at about 6400 pounds per axle and this is considered heavy. This includes the tires and wheels on those axles so in actuality the axles don't have but close to 6300 pounds on each axle as the tires and wheels are carrying axle instead the axle carrying the tires and wheels . It is harder to overload the axles than what people think. As for as the never-lube bearings Mor-ryde didn't recommend them as they seem to fail sooner than they like. I've never heard of a Mor-Ryde suspension failing but I'm sure one probably has somewhere. The brakes and suspension is probably the best option you can install on your rv but at a considerable cost.

Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #22
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I know for a fact that the springs are rated for 3500lbs.
Are you replacing your springs with 4000lbs rated springs ? I assume they make them. ?
Yes the axles are coming with new springs that are at rated for the axles. The 7k spring pack has 6 leaves in the pack and the 8k have 7 leaves, each one is thicker than each in the 7k.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Its a dam shame we have to modify nearly brand new trailers to make them safe to tow and handle the weight they should have been designed to carry from the factory.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #24
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Its a dam shame we have to modify nearly brand new trailers to make them safe to tow and handle the weight they should have been designed to carry from the factory.
I've said the same thing for years!!!! It's absolutely ridiculous!!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #25
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
They should at least offer an option... Keystone told me that since 90% of their customers rarely carry more than a 1000 lbs... they are geared for that market. If they can offer FBP, or legacy pkgs or other expensive options... they should offer a better suspension pkg also.. stiffer frames too. JMHO

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
These things are built like the cars of the 70,s & 80,s where you were lucky to get them to go 100k miles. Im thinkin, sooner or later it will change for the better. Look at the $$ of cars now and imagine what campers will cost when they figure it out. LOL
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #27
ingalmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21665
My 2 cents and what I did made sense to me. 1st DO the upgrade from drum brakes to Disc brakes, 2nd no need to change axles however when doing the disc brake upgrade make sure to upgrade the rotors to the 8k rotors which will give you the 8k bearings and a 9/16th lug nut stud. My total cost of the upgrade was $1600.00 and I did the work. Not that difficult if you’re mechanically inclined. If you want piece of mind do an axle alignment check (laser), lots of folks around the country do this and the cost is generally less than $200 unless the axle needs tweaked and then may cost slightly more. Good luck and safe travels.

Mike & Anita
2017 3921FB, MoRyde LRE4100, Xfactor, Pin Box, Titan Disc Brakes
2016 RAM 3500 DRW, Cummins
ingalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #28
Barefoot Bill
Established Member

M.O.C. #22623
We just had Morryde install IS with Timkin bearings and Kodiak disc brakes, Morryde pin box, plus new wheels and Sailun tires, $10k altogether. I intended to upgrade to 8k axle version of IS, but Brian at Morryde said 7k would be adequate and give a better ride, so I went with that. I hope I made the right decision. After installation, with water tank at 2/3, weight on axles is 14,040. This is for a 2010 3400RL that we bought last summer to replace our 2007 3400RL that we had beat the crap out of.

We are FT and put on a lot of miles, so felt the expense was worth it. We're headed to Alaska this summer.
Barefoot Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #29
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Here is a statement from your trailer’s federal certification label.

“This vehicle conforms to all applicable U.S. Federal motor vehicle safety standards in effect on the date of manufacturer shown above. All weights are approximate.”

Here is another statement from a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Q&A document.

“The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.”

Alterations to the vehicle certification label can only be performed by the vehicle manufacturer or someone having the authority (certified) to alter the vehicle. (See 49 CFR part 567 – certification).

The point for all of that is all about durability. Changing wheels/tires, axles, brakes, springs, etc. can all be considered increasing the vehicle’s load capacity reserves by the addition of items that provide more durability. Those items DO NOT increase the vehicle’s basic manufactured limitations such as GVWR or GAWR values.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #30
Bevard
Established Member

M.O.C. #21636
Thanks for all the info Ron. Did the height of your Montana change after installation? Read a couple of other posts that mentioned it went up, and that leveling afterwards sometimes the wheels would be off the ground. Thanks!
Bevard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #31
BrianA
Established Member

M.O.C. #10381
How often do you need to replace the Morryde shear springs? Anybody know how much difference there is in IS (such as Morryde's) and a torsion axle (Dexter Torflex, Lippert)? Thanks.
BrianA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #32
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Barefoot, forgive me if I'm reading the numbers wrong, but you went with the 7K MORryde, so total of 14K, yet you say you have an actual axle weight of 14,040. So it looks like as it sets your already 40 pounds over your axles.
I think I would be questioning MORryde on why the suggested you go with the 7K setup.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #33
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianA View Post
How often do you need to replace the Morryde shear springs? Anybody know how much difference there is in IS (such as Morryde's) and a torsion axle (Dexter Torflex, Lippert)? Thanks.
There are ways to check if they need to be replaced or not. Visually inspecting them is the best way. If they have cracks that are visible that are 3" long or more than 3/4" deep, then they need replacing. I bought new ones for mine to replace them while I had the new axles going in so I wouldn't have to do it again, but they were absolutely fine. No cracks at all. Mine is a '16.5 with about 23,000 miles on it. I've seen some last a lot longer and some not half that. Here is MorRyde's document on when to replace them.
http://www.morryde.com/downloads/tec...20Criteria.pdf
Old 05-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #34
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevard View Post
Thanks for all the info Ron. Did the height of your Montana change after installation? Read a couple of other posts that mentioned it went up, and that leveling afterwards sometimes the wheels would be off the ground. Thanks!
Bevard,

The increase in ride height was about an inch and a half. The IS suspension also has an increase in vertical travel over springs.
Thinking about the leveling process, it seems that it would make very little difference what suspension you had on your rig.
But would depend on how unlevel the site is.
Several time I've had tires off the ground after leveling before the IS install.
Since getting IS, I haven't been at a site that unlevel.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #35
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Having Performance install Disk brakes today. We leave here (Stephenville, Texas) Tuesday headed for Bastrop and I will let you know the difference.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote