Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Beating the heat.

It's hot everywhere. Currently in Titusville FL, and we have been here for the past year. We have learned to start cooling the rig early in the morning before it gets hot and the interior has warmed up. We run our 2 ac's on a 40' Montana at 70 degrees on high fan, auto does not work and is hard on the motor and we have 2 small fans in the rear living space which helps cool the front of the rig and lower kitchen space. We recently installed cardboard inserts in the windows that get the most sunlight during the day. Wish I would have thought of this 5 years ago in Arizonia. There are all kinds of gimmicks out there for window shades, we have slide toppers and shades, but simple cardboard works just as well, what a difference, and the cost is way lower.

Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 05:38 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Whatever works. I'd look at a 3rd Ac and I found a solar window shade that looks interesting.. I'll try to find and add to post
Old 08-05-2023, 08:59 PM   #3
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Actually, we are maintaining a 20-degree differential temp. throughout the day, with the outside temp. at 96 degrees.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:39 AM   #4
AnArky
Established Member

M.O.C. #28708
Make sure to cover your heater intakes and outlets. It helps.
AnArky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:14 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The Feds like to say that 78 is an ideal temp between being comfortable and being energy conscious. If I was in your shoes, at 70 I'd be looking for a sweatshirt!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
https://www.shadepro.net/product/win...aAj1LEALw_wcB#
Old 08-07-2023, 08:30 AM   #7
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Bubble Foil; google it. Cheap, easy to cut with a scissors for perfect fit and works (reflective). Been using it on RVs for 15 yrs in TX, hot summers in CO (intense sun with no atmospheric filters) and when traveling just remove as needed and stow behind coach or recliners.
182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:42 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We're still in North Carolina near Mount Airy. The temps here are in the high 80's ... low 90's on side of this mountain! The air conditioners (2 of them) are set on 69 and under these trees we are doing fine ..... except .....

The ceiling is dripping from condensation! like .... rain falling from the ceiling.

So, every couple of hours I have to turn both AC's off, wipe the water from the middle of the ceiling, following the air ducts in the ceiling, and wait for the ceiling to dry good again. Then start all over. It's kind of weird, we've never had condensation on the ceiling before, even at the air ducts. It reminds of the sweating the camper does on the outside when we can see the outline of the wall studs.

BUT ... we're staying nice and cool inside ..... that is, until I go outside and start cleaning fire pits again! Then I really feel the heat!

But gosh dang it's beautiful here!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 02:47 PM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I had a similar issue once with the sweating ceiling. Luckily it wasn't very far from a ceiling diffuser. Popped the diffuser out and could look in and see the duct had separated or at least was letting hot attic air into the cold duct. Appeared the tape on the outside of the duct had come off. Was able to contort my arm enough to get in there with some Aluminum tape and seal it back up. Solved the problem.
Perhaps a snake scope like member Daryles often recommends will allow you to see further into the duct.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:00 PM   #10
Majorpolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #19958
Completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182flyer View Post
Bubble Foil; google it. Cheap, easy to cut with a scissors for perfect fit and works (reflective). Been using it on RVs for 15 yrs in TX, hot summers in CO (intense sun with no atmospheric filters) and when traveling just remove as needed and stow behind coach or recliners.
Go buy a roll at Lowe’s and cut to fit. If you cut it right, it will stand up in the window a reflect all the heat away.

Been using it in Texas on three different campers.
Majorpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 04:57 PM   #11
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The Feds like to say that 78 is an ideal temp between being comfortable and being energy conscious. If I was in your shoes, at 70 I'd be looking for a sweatshirt!

Noway I'm keeping my home at 78, 68 - 70 sounds much more real, after all 68-70 is room temp.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:01 PM   #12
LJSantore
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30397
Give this a try plenty of the guys on youtube claim 40% more air flow from the ducts Times that by two units. https://rvairflow.com/
LJSantore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 09:36 AM   #13
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
We're still in North Carolina near Mount Airy. The temps here are in the high 80's ... low 90's on side of this mountain! The air conditioners (2 of them) are set on 69 and under these trees we are doing fine ..... except .....

The ceiling is dripping from condensation! like .... rain falling from the ceiling.

So, every couple of hours I have to turn both AC's off, wipe the water from the middle of the ceiling, following the air ducts in the ceiling, and wait for the ceiling to dry good again. Then start all over. It's kind of weird, we've never had condensation on the ceiling before, even at the air ducts. It reminds of the sweating the camper does on the outside when we can see the outline of the wall studs.

BUT ... we're staying nice and cool inside ..... that is, until I go outside and start cleaning fire pits again! Then I really feel the heat!

But gosh dang it's beautiful here!
Have you checked the humidity inside your RV? It sounds like it might be quite high.

Do you keep your AC blowers running in manual or leave in auto? There are differing opinions on this subject, but I leave mine running in manual constantly. When the compressor cycles off there is a quantity of water on the evaporator coil that has to either be evaporated back into the air or drip off into the drain. The air going through the ducts will get quite humid for a few minutes. The longer it runs, the better it will mix the humidity back into the indoor air, there's probably not enough to raise the overall humidity more than a couple of % points. Leaving the blowers running will also add constant filtration and help prevent hot/cold spots inside the RV.

I don't know if the OEM thermostats offer this option, but the MicroAire does. If you can adjust the span from 1 degree to 2 degrees, it will dehumidify better. An AC removes humidity, but only while it's running. This should give you longer cycle times and longer times between cycles. Most people probably won't notice the additional 1degree rise before cycling the AC.

I don't know which brand ACs you have, but I've found the Dometic's to be very efficient in removing humidity. That's the only brand I have experience with. There's always the option of buying a small dehumidifier.

I just got a new psychrometer (gadget junkie) that will measure enthalpy. I'm going to do some measurements on mine this week and will post the results. This is the only way to accurately measure total heat and humidity removal. You can also calculate the actual capacity of the unit with these values.

I refer to humidity as "The wicked witch of the south"
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 02:00 PM   #14
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSantore View Post
Give this a try plenty of the guys on youtube claim 40% more air flow from the ducts Times that by two units. https://rvairflow.com/
I’m not able to get to any of the Montana rallies so seeing this type of information online is very helpful. Thank you for putting it out there.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 02:54 PM   #15
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The real secret is camping in cool areas. That is why our rigs have wheels.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:15 PM   #16
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
The real secret is camping in cool areas. That is why our rigs have wheels.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:29 PM   #17
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Yea I usually don't have to move too far.:s ocool:
Old 09-07-2023, 07:25 PM   #18
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have never heard of 'Frostbite Falls' before - and I grew up in Iowa (for 39 years LOL).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 07:37 PM   #19
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
How about the Icebox of the Nation?