Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #61
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I'm sitting at Darien lake. 85 today. Wow. What a difference my unit cooled down super quick today and my Front Ac kicked off my 7 pm. 66 upstairs 68down. Both thermostats set at 68 so far so good. When i stand under one of my modified vents I feel the cold air while sitting in my couch. Don't feel that from the unmodified vents.

2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #62
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Well there ya go....PLEASE Montana are you Listening? it is not a hard fix ,You have to count on us backyard Mechanics to solve this??? Whisper Air is is Awesome with the Mods,Like I have Always said it really helps if you are a good Handyman owning these rigs,....THANX DAD!!! for teaching me how to fix things because when I Was Young we had very little Money and HAD to figure things out on our Own on the Cheap I Guess I was Born to be a full time Rv'er HUH?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:47 AM   #63
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
alias, I still have the issue of the upper AC not cycling on, had it set to 68, this morning when I woke up was 72 up there, and I had to reset it to get it to kick on....I have tried it all, time for a new thermostat or control board. I still am very pleased with the way the hole system is cooling now though, when it is working correctly HAHA
Old 08-25-2016, 04:59 AM   #64
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Have you tried switching the thermostats? Make sure power is off to the units.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #65
Bryfast

M.O.C. #18535
I don't know if it's the thermostat or not. Both my a/c do the same thing as Kozzy. The ac in the front is a penguin and the one in the rear is a blizzard. When mine get to 72 degrees it turns off no matter if I have it set to 65 and then they don't come back on unless I turn them off and back on. I guess I'm going to call dometic and see if they can help
Bryfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #66
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I'm not gonna bother swapping the thermostats. At this point I'm just goinng to take it in. I don't want to jinx the one that is working lol
Old 08-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #67
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bryfast

I don't know if it's the thermostat or not. Both my a/c do the same thing as Kozzy. The ac in the front is a penguin and the one in the rear is a blizzard. When mine get to 72 degrees it turns off no matter if I have it set to 65 and then they don't come back on unless I turn them off and back on. I guess I'm going to call dometic and see if they can help
Sounds to me like it could be the freeze control sensor shutting the unit down!
You did not mention what the outside temp was when you set the stat at 65.assuming high 70s or 80s the AC unit is going to have a difficult time cooling the interior and not cycling on and off and the coil is freezing
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #68
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

Sounds to me like it could be the freeze control sensor shutting the unit down!
kozzy, it sure sounds like what kdeiss found. Is it freezing up? Grab a flashlight and look up inside the unit next time it shuts off.
If you do take it in, tell the service tech to check the integrity of that metal divider. There have been a lot of reports of it being out of place which causes freezing. May save a month of troubleshooting.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:58 AM   #69
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
What I have found that helps the freezing issue from early AM run the fan on the high setting.about 9 Pm last night i changed the setting to low so we could here the TV.In about an hour I could accually here ice on the Fan!
Tech to be here next week to check the divider plate issue.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #70
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
not freezing up, going to swap thermostats and give it a try on Friday, calling CW tomorrow anyways about some other things they need to fix, hopefully after this weekend I can bring it in and get that looked at and fixed up
Old 08-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #71
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Is it still not cycling back on after the thermostat gets satisfied, even though it is not freezing up? That's what mine was doing.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #72
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Nope. Reaches temp and shuts down. By morning it's like 5 degrees hotter upstairs and won't cycle back on until I turn it off and then back on again.
This last weekend I just set the fan to HI and left it on. I could hear the compressor kick on and off though
Old 09-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #73
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kozzy

...going to swap thermostats and give it a try on Friday...
Did you get a chance to swap the t-stat? Curious as to what you found.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #74
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Not yet. Hopefully this week ill get a chance. I might just wait for storage time at this point
Old 09-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #75
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jameswbarton

If you are icing you have low air flow through the coils. Are all of your registers open and ducts clean? Are your coils in need of cleaning.
All the above is A OK?... When it gets 80 and above the unit never shuts off! Have been running fan on high not Auto all lights are LED VERY LITTLE HEAT, have been cooking out side. vent and fan on when showering
I have been doing a lot of research on my icing problem.Both of my units are Dometic Brisk Air ii. The sensor should be mounted in the evaporator coil 1 inch into the coil approx 1 inch above the bottom of the coil.
When checked the main unit the sensor was hanging by the wire you could see it was mounted in the center of the coil.The bedroom unit was sitting in the drain channel no evadence that it ever was installed.
The sensor will,shut the compressor off fan will continue and defrost then come back on.
Dometic has a few different configuratios for Freeze Sensors they mount diferently again this mounting is for Brisk Air II fairly new model
Old 09-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #76
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you are icing you have low air flow through the coils. Are all of your registers open and ducts clean? Are your coils in need of cleaning.
All the above is A OK?... When it gets 80 and above the unit never shuts off! Have been running fan on high not Auto all lights are LED VERY LITTLE HEAT, have been cooking out side. vent and fan on when showering
I have been doing a lot of research on my icing problem.Both of my units are Dometic Brisk Air II and have an Ice Sensor. The sensor should be mounted in the evaporator coil 1 inch into the coil approx 1 inch above the bottom of the coil.
When checked the main unit the sensor was hanging by the wire you could see it was mounted in the center of the coil.The bedroom unit was sitting in the drain channel no evadence that it ever was installed.
The sensor will,shut the compressor off fan will continue and defrost then come back on.
Dometic has a few different configuratios for Freeze Sensors they mount diferently again this mounting is for Brisk Air II fairly new model
Old 09-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #77
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have been doing a lot of research on my icing problem.Both of my units are Dometic Brisk Air ii. The sensor should be mounted in the evaporator coil 1 inch into the coil approx 1 inch above the bottom of the coil.
Interesting... thanx for letting us know what you found out. Did repositioning the sensor fix your icing problem?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #78
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I started the unit at noon it 6.20 no iceing so far and it is cooling nicely #128522;
87 degrees currently
Old 10-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #79
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Well, I stalled and never got to look at this, but my unit has been in for warrantee, I had them look at the AC, the turned it on, got the coach down to 55 and used a heat gun to raise the temp on the thermostat, temp went up, but the unit wouldn't turn on...Bad Thermostat...for those that were following anyways
Old 10-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #80
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Air conditioners ice due to high humidity and low airflow. Keystone barely meets minimum airflow requirements and the huge amount of humid warm outside air allowed to enter the RV from the basement compounds the issue. That is why everyone tells you to run the fan on high constantly. You can increase airflow by insuring the ducting is clean and intact and the ceiling vents are properly installed and not blocking the ducts. You can also add ceiling vents. If you suspect vents are the problem try removing all the vent covers and running the AC to see if it helps. I have also done as others suggest and replaced all the floor registers with ones that I can close in summer.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote