Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Fantastic Fan Won't Open!

I just know someone here will have a good suggestion for us. We got our Montana last October and haven't used the Fantastic Fan yet. Took her out this weekend and wanted to check it out - it wouldn't open We have the automatic, rain sensor, model, with controls mounted on the wall near the slide-out switch. You can hear the motor working and trying to open the top. We have a Maxxair vent cover. I also did a "search" on the MOC and found quite a bit of information on these fans, but nothing about our problem. I thought at one time I had read something about putting a small dab of Vaseline around the seal once you get the top open, but can't find it now. Do any of you know how to get this fan to open?

Thanks! We don't post too often, but we read and learn on a daily basis. Chris and Dave

CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We had that problem. Someone suggested you have to go up and open it then put the vasiline on it. Never had to do that, it eventually popped open.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
It may be hanging up on the Maxx-Air vent cover. There should be four screws holding down the vent cover on the roof. Loosen the screws, remove the vent and see what happens. I do not have a cover on my Fantastic Fan and have never had a problem with it not coming open. Until you know that the cover is free from obstruction I would be cautious about how long you make the motor try to open the cover as it could overheat.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
This a common problem. Just pop it open with the manual knob. The problem is associated with the putty used to weatherproof the fan on the roof. When the vent closes, it will sometimes settle into the putty and become stuck. If you trim the putty a bit, it will solve the problem.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Thanks for your quick responses! We'll (well, ONE of us anyway) will climb up and take a look at the Maxxaire as Charlie suggested. Mazeeff, I think we are missing the manual knob. Is it black and have four arms? If so, ours is gone. I assume Dave could use pliers instead? Is it a "push for automatic, pull for manual" knob? Once we get the fan open, Dave will trim the putty for sure. Don't want to do this again! Again, thanks for the help - you guys are great!
Old 06-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CanDo

Thanks for your quick responses! We'll (well, ONE of us anyway) will climb up and take a look at the Maxxaire as Charlie suggested. Mazeeff, I think we are missing the manual knob. Is it black and have four arms? If so, ours is gone. I assume Dave could use pliers instead? Is it a "push for automatic, pull for manual" knob? Once we get the fan open, Dave will trim the putty for sure. Don't want to do this again! Again, thanks for the help - you guys are great!
Yes. It is the knob labled "push for automatic, pull for manual". Pull it and turn it. It will pop the vent open. If I recall, you tuen it counterclockwise.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Ours does this regularly too. I have crawled up and put Vaseline on the seal and that does help.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I called the Fantastic Fan company and they sent me some 303 lubricant wipes, which I thought was a little silly. Why should they put a gasket on the fan that would need lubricant? Who really wants to climb up there and lubricate it? I think they know they have a problem but have not figured out how to resolve it so they send you a few lubricant packs which do not work for very long and it starts sticking closed again.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:33 PM   #9
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Thanks CanDo for bringing up this topic. Our Fantastic Fan, on occasion, also does not open. We weren't quite sure how to address this minor problem, but will now have hubby go up on the roof and lubricate the gasket.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Like DHenry I got the lub from Fantastic and used it. Not long after it was sticking again. I now use the manual knob to get it started if it sticks.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 AM   #11
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Since you hadn't used it since October, I'd say it wouldn't be unusual for the seal to stick a bit.

When I've had a similar problem, if it doesn't open after two tries with the electric motor, I try a couple of times with the Manual knob. I try to be a bit careful with that as well, since I'm not sure how much stress the manual knob will take or how much the rest of the linkages will take. If that doesn't work, I go to the source of the problem, the cover and seal. I've only had to go up on the roof once or twice in 2 years to help "unstick" from up there while my wife operates the manual knob from the inside. We have had no problems when we are using the fans fairly regularly, and we do use the Fantastic fans frequently in the warmer weather. If they sit unused for a while, especially in damp weather, the seal will stick sometimes.

You might want to consider getting a replacement manual knob from either Campering World or the manufacturer. Probably need the correct screw to attach it, as well. Sure woiuld make life simpler if you encounter the problem again.

Best,

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:53 AM   #12
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Ours sticks as well. I found when its cool outside, the manual knob will release the lid and then everything work fine. Tried opening it up during the heat of the day after it was parked for some time and it was really stuck---did not want to break it, so I waited until it cooled off. I wonder if the seals expand in the heat?
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have some 303 but haven't looked to see if it has any silicone in it. If not, I wonder if a little silicone spray on the seals would help keep it from sticking. Our fan is in the bath area and gets used whenever we shower, to exhaust moisture. So it gets regular use. Plus our rig is never stored and not in use anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #14
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Luckily ours has not started to stick yet. Maybe it's too new but a friend of ours has the problem. He has to use the manual knob to break the seal EACH time he opens it.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #15
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Thanks to everyone. You have given us several things to try and will do so next time we take Monty out for a spin (end of June). Chester, I hope ours doesn't stick every time! Will let you know what works. Happy Trails! Chris and Dave
Old 06-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #16
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Ours wouldn't open and Don got on roof,it was stuck to the rubber. He opened it and no problem since but will try the vaseline trick to keep it from sticking.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote