Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2005, 02:32 AM   #1
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Do you have BOTH Satellite and Cable TV?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before; I searched and couldn't find it. My '02 Montana had both satellite and cable TV ports on the outside so I could hook up to cable TV when available in campgrounds and still use my Dish satellite. I could switch between the two by turning on/off the antenna booster switch inside the bedroom TV cabinet. Now that I have a new and improved '05, I only have a satellite connection outside. Keystone customer service tells me they never provided both satellite and cable TV hookups. Is this true? Do any of you have both? If so, did you order it as an option? Did your dealer add the second connection?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:12 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gypsy, we have both. We have the cable connector, which is connected right now, on a back corner next to the phone connector. We paid extra for satellite prep. It's connector is on the slide next to the front door. Yours wouldn't necessarily be in those locations but this does show many of us have both connections.

I'm curious about you switching between satellite and cable by use of the booster. I didn't know that would work. That booster just sends 12v to the crank up tv antenna. Or does it also send power to the satellite dish? Is yours on the roof? If we ever get a dish, this would be nice to know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:33 AM   #3
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Gypsy,

We have the same model as Steve and we have both connections. As Steve said the Satellite Prep was an extra cost option.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:39 AM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
gypsy,
We have both on our 03 2955RL. I think you can have service from the sattelite and antenna if you use a D920 Diplexer from Home Depot
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
On the 2005s there is only one cable/satellite plug. When using cable, turn off the tv booster as it only applies to the crankup TV antenna. I guess you will have to disconect the cable feed outside and hookup the satellite feed when ever you want to use satellite. Its not that hard to install a second plug for a satellite feed. You would also neet a two way switch from radio shack to switch the tv from cable/tv antenna to the satellite and a RG-6 cable. We chose to install a satellite automatic tracking antenna on the roof of our 2005 Montana. The feed comes thru the front cap and down into the RG-6 cables that Montana installed in the trailer. We look like a pregnate guppy coming down the highway and it raised our height to 13'2". Camping World installed it. I have installed an extra satellite feed on an older RV we had. And it worked fine using the techniques above.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have both Cable and Satellite hook ups on our 3280. The satellite setup consisted of a line from the outside into th bottom of the entertainment center. They failed to cut a hole in the shelves so you could rout the wires from the receiver to the TV. They made a big deal about "Sat Prep" It consisted of one external fitting and two feet of wire. If you hook the antenna line in the entertainment center to the antenna in on your receiver you don't need an A B switch to go from Satellite to cable or antenna. You will have to turn off the booster how ever to use the cable hook up.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have both. As was stated earlier, cable connector is beside the phone connector on the street side rear. The satellite connector is near the fresh water hoopup just forward of the slide. Have not had the opportunity to try either out. I do know you can go nuts trying to get the antenna to work until you discover that 12-volt power supply switch to the thing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Our '05 3570 has both!
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ken

We chose to install a satellite automatic tracking antenna on the roof of our 2005 Montana. The feed comes thru the front cap and down into the RG-6 cables that Montana installed in the trailer. We look like a pregnate guppy coming down the highway and it raised our height to 13'2". Camping World installed it. I have installed an extra satellite feed on an older RV we had. And it worked fine using the techniques above.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
Ken,

You said they ran the cable down into the nose cap. From there, it uses the RG-6 cables that were already in your rig? Is that right?

Did you ask if they might run a cable to where your TV is, without disturbing the existing Keystone-installed cables?

I’m hoping to get something like that. That way, should we trade up again, I could simply take the added equipment off and have it installed on our next rig.

I’d want to have the cables run directly to where our TV is in this 3475. In the slide out. Which would mean they’d have to follow the existing cables.

If I recall right, at the factory, they didn’t really secure the cables in the roof space. So if they had to, they could use one to pull in a pull-string, and then replace the original cable as they installed a new one.

Do you think that would even be possible?

I plan on eventually getting both DirecTV, and DirecWay, so we could use the same antenna & satellite for both TV and Internet.

I’m really tired of having the drop-outs that many Wi-Fi systems seem to be prone to.

And, if at all possible, once that wiring is in place, I’d want to hang my old DSL-type router onto the connection so both my wife and I could use wireless at the same time, sharing my PC’s printer as we used to do back home.

Have you, (or anyone,) had any experience with both those services?

Thanks in Advance,
Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GypsySCM

My '02 Montana had both satellite and cable TV ports on the outside so I could hook up to cable TV when available in campgrounds and still use my Dish satellite. I could switch between the two by turning on/off the antenna booster switch inside the bedroom TV cabinet. Now that I have a new and improved '05, I only have a satellite connection outside. Keystone customer service tells me they never provided both satellite and cable TV hookups. Is this true? Do any of you have both? If so, did you order it as an option? Did your dealer add the second connection?

Hi Sharon,

Our 02 3255 only had cable, our 05 3670 only has sat. I have been able to run cable through the sat. port, (but not both at the same time . I don't think it would be hard to add a cable port, and I may do so, because the campground we use in the winter does have cable.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Our Mountaineer TT did not come cable ready. We decided to use Dishnet at home and I had them bring an additional receiver to be used in the RV. I added exterior f-connectors to the outside of the coach with RG-6 coax runs to both the livingroom and the bedroom. The existing cable and antenna connections were not disturbed. It is possible to use satellite, Cable TV and the roof antenna with just a click of the remote and by choosing antenna or cable with the push button in the entertainment area. We use our satellite connection even when we have cable TV available to keep up with news from home.

If you are interested here is a link to my WEBsite with pictures and instructions for my installation.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedreamer2004/dishinstall.html[url]
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our Montana didn't come with a satellite input connector. I installed one in the curb side slideout and then put a feed-through connector on the inside wall into the entertainment center. Connected the outside connector to the feed-through connector with a 3-ft piece of RG-6 (Radio Shack) and voila! I was able to connect my DirecTV receiver up. I have my antenna mounted on a piece of 2X6 through which I drilled 4 holes - one in each corner. I stake it down with those long nails and washers that you can buy at Wal-Mart in the camping section.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:06 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Our 2005 3400 (fall 04 edition) has both. We have only used the satellite to date. Works great and we can also go the antenna with no problems.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:17 AM   #14
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GypsySCM

My '02 Montana had both satellite and cable TV ports on the outside so I could hook up to cable TV when available in campgrounds and still use my Dish satellite. I could switch between the two by turning on/off the antenna booster switch inside the bedroom TV cabinet. Now that I have a new and improved '05, I only have a satellite connection outside. Keystone customer service tells me they never provided both satellite and cable TV hookups. Is this true? Do any of you have both? If so, did you order it as an option? Did your dealer add the second connection?

Yes, we have both satellite and cable connections on our 03 2955.
Hi Sharon,

Our 02 3255 only had cable, our 05 3670 only has sat. I have been able to run cable through the sat. port, (but not both at the same time . I don't think it would be hard to add a cable port, and I may do so, because the campground we use in the winter does have cable.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote