Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
best upgrade

Today the automatic LevelUp by Lippert was installed on the rig. Amazing is all I can say. Position the truck. Lift the front of the rig to disconnect height. Disconnect the truck and drive it forward. Push the button labeled "Auto Level" and within about a minute it beeps and your done. Amazing!!!

This is the best upgrade ever. I saw a Big Sky frame at the installation site out fitted with the leveling system. Factory install would be much easier than retrofit. If I were buying a new rig, I would certainly get the Auto Leveling option if available.

Perhaps next year I will get the disc brakes. I was quoted $2800 installed. This included new 8000# axles. Being able to stop more effectively give me pause to think about it.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Glad you like it Stiles. I'm very happy with ours. By the way, what was the name of your chairs again? Thanks
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Those were Ekornes chairs. They have a web site.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Today the automatic LevelUp by Lippert was installed on the rig. Amazing is all I can say. Position the truck. Lift the front of the rig to disconnect height. Disconnect the truck and drive it forward. Push the button labeled "Auto Level" and within about a minute it beeps and your done. Amazing!!!

This is the best upgrade ever. I saw a Big Sky frame at the installation site out fitted with the leveling system. Factory install would be much easier than retrofit. If I were buying a new rig, I would certainly get the Auto Leveling option if available.

Perhaps next year I will get the disc brakes. I was quoted $2800 installed. This included new 8000# axles. Being able to stop more effectively give me pause to think about it.
Leveling system is my next big upgrade. Just wish they had a dealer near Charlotte, NC.

If you are going to replace the axles, I would look at the IS System, and say good bye to leaf spring U bolt torquing. October Trailer Life had a good story on the IS and disk brakes. I think you can read it online.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Would it be rude to ask what the upgrade cost, Stiles?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Mike, I got the special promotional deal offered to the MOCers at the Fall Rally. It was $2,400 installed plus tax. I think the price will be around $3500 + installation. If it were done here in Goshen, the installation cost will run $900. Our installation took about 7-1/2 hours and he worked steadily the whole time. Hopefully that price will come down.

I will say the installation done by Ron is very good. He is very experienced and knows his hydraulic systems. I would come to Goshen to have one done.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
We agree Stiles!! Ron was very good to us!! And... we have his phone #! How good is that if we have questions!!

This is a great addition to our traveling life! We/I am constantly amazed at the ease of hook-up/unhook!!!

Keep it Simple is our theory and this definitely does!!!

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
Auto Levelers are wonderful. One of the reasons I went with an SOB 2 years ago was because of the technology. Earlene really liked the Montana and wishes she still had that kitchen. However, she was thinking about me when she said one day when I was hooking up, "Why don't you get an SOB (sic)before you have a heart attack?" Now who am I to argue with her. I can pull in and unhook and then 10 minutes later after pushing a few buttons I'm sitting in the chair programing the television (well, that's automatic also.) We truly live in a wonderful world.

Had the 5'er had the automatic leveling system (Monty that is) we would still have it. You'll be happy you have it - especially on those rainy days.

Congratulations.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just a quick note: TrailAir is the only place you can get the Level-Up System installed. They have an exclusive contract with Lippert through at least sometime in the spring. Maybe they will eventually authorize other installer, but for the present Ron and the crew are it. What did everyone think of the rainey day project in the shop, the slightly modified MH tow rig?? Quite a project with the engine relocated in front of the rear axle and lots and lots of work yet to be done.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
As much as I hate to admit it, Mobile Suites was our first choice above all other 5vers but we just couldn't swing the cost for what we wanted. We met one of the Mobile Suite owners while we were having our system installed at Trailaire. Very nice guy and was willing to talk about us "crossing over". They must be making money if they can afford the work on their TV.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Stiles what does the new system have to do with hitching and unhitching. explain, I havn't heard or seen the levelers? Thanks Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
Montana_10714
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10714
I am new here...just ordered by 3580RL today....

This Auto Level up system - is it available on the Montana -
direct from factory ?
My unit will come off the line on Nov.17th
Just wondered if I could have them added while still at the plant.

Thanks...

Reading and learning..here
Montana_10714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Joe, check with your dealer. The operation and service manual I received from Jerod Lippert is for OEM installation so I'm assuming it is available. I think we saw them on units during our factory tour at the MOC rally.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks for the info,m Stiles. I appreciate it. I am going to miss you next week at the NWBC convention in Pasco. We will have to cross paths somewhere in the future. Have a great day and safe trip to SC(?).
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
From what I saw, the factory installation would need to occur before the frame gets to Keystone. Lippert builds the frame, installs the leveling system on the frame, then ships the frame to Keystone for the building of the unit. I don't know if they are ready or capable to do that yet, but you can ask. I am not sure they have enough people trained properly at this point.