Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Screeeeeching Jacks

We are back in Texas - Boy is it HOT!

I went out today tore-level the Monty and one of the Jacks screeeeeched in cadence. Like sceech... screech... screech as it went up - almost a pumping sound. The reservoir is full and I added the hydraulic fork oil back in April. I have greased the poles and sprayed with WD40. I looked at the lines nothing looks crimped.

Any suggestions? Your help is always greatly appreciated.

Don

awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Rick Seely

M.O.C. #23400
Don, I would not spray the poles with WD40 as it is a petroleum product that can disintegrate the hydraulic jack rubber seals. I would use a silicone spray or grease.
Extend the jacks as far as you can then add the silicone then retract and extend a few times.
My jacks have done screech a few times and this has fixed the problem.

2017 Montana 3000RE, Reese Sidewinder 19K King pin
2013 Ford F350 Short box
Rick Seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
WD-40 will remove any lubricant you had. Use a product that will lubricate but not attract crud.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Seely View Post
Don, I would not spray the poles with WD40 as it is a petroleum product that can disintegrate the hydraulic jack rubber seals. I would use a silicone spray or grease.
Extend the jacks as far as you can then add the silicone then retract and extend a few times.
My jacks have done screech a few times and this has fixed the problem.

Thanks. I will wipe down and re-apply the grease.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
WD-40 will remove any lubricant you had. Use a product that will lubricate but not attract crud.

Thanks. I will wipe down and re-apply the grease.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
On aircraft they would wipe the landing gear hydraulic struts down with a rag soaked in hydraulic fluid. It helped make the seals last longer.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That is what Lippert currently recommends. Wiping them down with the same ATF we use for hydralic fluid. Grease will cause grit to adhear and ruin the seals over time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We had the same problem last year when we went to the Fall Rally. Lippert reps came to the unit and I demonstrated what the problem was. They asked what I was using on the struts and I told them silicone spray that the rep recommended the year before. The policy had changed over the year and Lippert now recommends as Daryles and DQDick stated in their posts to wipe the struts down with a rag soaked in hydraulic fluid or ATF. The Lippert reps told me they found out that silicone dries out the seals and that is what is making the screeching sound when extending or retracting the legs. I keep a rag in the front storage compartment soaked in hydraulic fluid in a resealable plastic bag and a quart of the fluid as a spare there also. I now wipe the struts down with the rag prior to retracting them each time we move the Monte.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Thanks

Thank you to all who responded. I will be working on this today and will use the hydraulic fluid - that makes a lot of sense!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Don
Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Rick Seely

M.O.C. #23400
Very good to know, I will be making some changes to my supplies.
Rick Seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #11
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
We had the same problem last year when we went to the Fall Rally. Lippert reps came to the unit and I demonstrated what the problem was. They asked what I was using on the struts and I told them silicone spray that the rep recommended the year before. The policy had changed over the year and Lippert now recommends as Daryles and DQDick stated in their posts to wipe the struts down with a rag soaked in hydraulic fluid or ATF. The Lippert reps told me they found out that silicone dries out the seals and that is what is making the screeching sound when extending or retracting the legs. I keep a rag in the front storage compartment soaked in hydraulic fluid in a resealable plastic bag and a quart of the fluid as a spare there also. I now wipe the struts down with the rag prior to retracting them each time we move the Monte.
You know for us members who can't make the rally, this would be great to know. I was told to use silicone spray once a week when extended, I hope its not too late to change my maintenance. Do they have a recommendation for the frequency of the wipe down?

One more suggestion. When the rally is over why can't their be a thread created that highlight new things and changes from the manufactures, that could affect us all. That would dramatically improve information sharing on this forum.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #12
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
You know for us members who can't make the rally, this would be great to know. I was told to use silicone spray once a week when extended, I hope its not too late to change my maintenance. Do they have a recommendation for the frequency of the wipe down?

One more suggestion. When the rally is over why can't their be a thread created that highlight new things and changes from the manufactures, that could affect us all. That would dramatically improve information sharing on this forum.

This is a GREAT idea! While we would love to attend one of the rallies, we are full-time and it is not always convenient to do so. I would love to read all the new/revised methods of maintenance.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #13
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
We are back in Texas - Boy is it HOT!

I went out today tore-level the Monty and one of the Jacks screeeeeched in cadence. Like sceech... screech... screech as it went up - almost a pumping sound. The reservoir is full and I added the hydraulic fork oil back in April. I have greased the poles and sprayed with WD40. I looked at the lines nothing looks crimped.

Any suggestions? Your help is always greatly appreciated.

Don
Well, it turns out the jacks were in a bind. The concrete pad we are sitting on is sloped (higher back end) and the unit became off level. I hooked up the truck and BINGO no more screeching or noise. I added more pads to the front end and level became easier and without the front jacks being so extended. Took the strain off all the jacks. Everything is now all oiled up, level, no screeching, and no strain.

Thanks for all your help.

Don.