Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
Awning question

We just bought a 2008 2955rl from the original owner, it is in great shape. He said he replaced the awning and I am wondering if he did something backwards. First: he switch operation is reversed, retract is extend and vice versa. And I think it is rolling up backwards. When rolling up the awning wraps around the bottom side of the spool, which means when it is in the retracted position there is a “valley” that collects debris. Also when extending once it gets started it about falls open the rest of the way.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Stevhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Fairly easy fix, push the switch to extend the awning and hold it until the awning fully extends and then retracts to the wall. Now it's stored correctly. Push the side of the switch that should extend the awning and see what it does. If it extends, you're done. If it doesn't, you can pull the control panel and swap the two wires on the switch at either end. That should reverse the polarity and the awning should operate normally. Good luck, drive safe, and enjoy.

Concerning the awning falling open, after you get it stored correctly, see how it does. If it still acts like this, there may be a problem with the springs in the awning tube, which means a trip to the dealer.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Gramps: This is a 2008 model which didn't have an electric powered awning.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for Stevhop. I have never disassembled that awning. But you are right, it is backwards. It should be rolling over the top and not the bottom of the roller.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
That's moost likely the solution. Remember, the awning doesn't stop on it's own once it's fully extended. If you keep pushing the button it will completely extend then keep rolling which will rewind it in the reverse direction. Following the advise above will likely set it right.

Then pay attention when you use your awning so you let go of the button once it's fully extended.

Edit...just saw the latest post. If it isn't electric then someone rewound the springs backwards. They can be tricky but will need to be relaxed and wound correctly. Be very careful or have it done for you.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Awh, you're right. When he said switch, my brain shot straight to the electrics. Sorry, I suffer from sometimers. If it's falling out, then the springs are either broken or weren't properly tensioned when it was installed. If new fabric was installed, there's a good possibility it was wrapped on the tube backwards and the springs not wound to put tension on them.

I'd have a shop do the work though. If you're not familiar with the workings of those, a misstep can have it slapping the tar out of you. Not fun. Good luck.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
If the awning is nonelectric then why did the OP ask if the SWITCH operation is reversed?
Sheesh people, read the question.
On mine if you hold the switch in the extend position it will roll up the awning upside down.
However, in replacing the awning spring operation could have been affected but if done correctly the spring should have not been touched.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
If the awning is nonelectric then why did the OP ask if the SWITCH operation is reversed?
Sheesh people, read the question.
On mine if you hold the switch in the extend position it will roll up the awning upside down.
However, in replacing the awning spring operation could have been affected but if done correctly the spring should have not been touched.
Yes,

Most 2008 models are 10 year anniversary and our 3000rk has a remote. Never had an issue with it over extending and rolling backwards. course we watch it the whole time and release at full extension.We did replace the fabric in 2017 but it still rolls out and and back up the same way it always had.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #8
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
Awning is electric. I tried Gramps idea, motor did not have enough muscle to wind it back the other way. As to going to a dealer to fix springs....that is not an option...I will fix it myself somehow.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #9
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I just helped to change fabric on an electric Dometic awning last weekend. We wound the spring the wrong direction the first attempt. Watch a couple You Tube videos. It isn't that hard...just be careful. It is a 2-man job

First, open the awning so the top of the arms about about 1 foot away from the trailer. You will need to put a stout pin through the rear spring assembly to keep the spring from unwinding. Then disconnect both front and rear assemblies from the awning arm and unfurl the awning then rewind the correct direction. Reattach the motor end to the arm. Firmly attach vice grips to the tab on the rear spring end and hold on while removing the pin. Help the spring to unwind (if it's wound backwards it will want to unwind clockwise which means that the tension was set counter-clockwise)

Since the motor is on the front end of the awning, starting with a relaxed/unwound spring and the arms in a near upright position, you will likely need to wind the rear spring clockwise about 10 turns. Brand specific direction may give an exact number of turns.

These are generic directions and may have some differences depending on brand and how the motor is attached. Do your research first. Good luck...just be careful. The spring will hurt you if you're not (ask me how I know)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning.png
Views:	55
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	3695  
Old 05-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #10
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
Follow on awning question, awning arm caps say wind this way to increase tension. I assume caps have to be removed from arm ends to wind for more tension. Must be directions posted somewhere for doing this action.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
Gramps: This is a 2008 model which didn't have an electric powered awning.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for Stevhop. I have never disassembled that awning. But you are right, it is backwards. It should be rolling over the top and not the bottom of the roller.
Our 2008 3400RL which we purchased new did have the power awning.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill8 View Post
Follow on awning question, awning arm caps say wind this way to increase tension. I assume caps have to be removed from arm ends to wind for more tension. Must be directions posted somewhere for doing this action.
On the ones I've worked on you have to drill the rivets to remove the cap.

It's best to start with the awning about 2 feet out from the trailer. You first have to lock it with a pin through the provided holes...this is critical. Then unbolt the head from the arm and lift it out. Grab the tab with a vise grip, hold on, then remove the pin that is locking the head. The spring can now be unwound to relax it, then rewind to the proper number of turns (usually adding 2 turns for the 2' distance from the trailer), the lock pin replaced, and the head rebolted to the arm. Replace the rivets, remove the pin and try the awning.

Again...this was my experience on the awning I was working on. Make sure you understand the methods and specs on yours. Also, handled incorrectly, the spring is not your friend. Just be careful.

Watch a couple YouTube videos on the topic. Best if you can find one for your model.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #13
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
I figured it would be akin to spring on roll up garage door, handle with extreme care.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #14
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Correction: If all you're doing is re-tensioning the spring you don't need to remove the rivets since you're not pulling the spring assembly out of the tube. Skip that step.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #15
cwestl
Established Member

M.O.C. #20911
Send a message via AIM to cwestl Send a message via MSN to cwestl Send a message via Yahoo to cwestl
Talking Awning work

These instruction may help some in what you are trying to do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic 9100 awning drive installation instructions.pdf (2.06 MB, 66 views)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #16
dlscott185
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevhop View Post
We just bought a 2008 2955rl from the original owner, it is in great shape. He said he replaced the awning and I am wondering if he did something backwards. First: he switch operation is reversed, retract is extend and vice versa. And I think it is rolling up backwards. When rolling up the awning wraps around the bottom side of the spool, which means when it is in the retracted position there is a “valley” that collects debris. Also when extending once it gets started it about falls open the rest of the way.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
Gramps is correct. The previous owner held the Extend button too long and wound it up backwards. Mine does this if I don't stop quick enough.

The fix is to push the "Retract" button to roll it out, then continue until it's retracted against the side wall. Then use the buttons correctly, stopping before it rolls back up again.
Snowy
dlscott185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #17
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
I tried holding switch until it went beyond but it will not roll up, (also when unrolling.....once it starts it will unroll the rest of the way itself). Am I right in thinking that there is not enough tension on the spring? If so then to put more tension on the spring I should roll up till about a foot from the top..slid a pin through to hold..remove arm, clamp on vice grips and wind approx 8 turns, slid in pin and reattach. Do I have that right?
So now if I press retract let it roll till it is all the way, out keep pressing retract it should roll back up...yes...no?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevhop View Post
I tried holding switch until it went beyond but it will not roll up, (also when unrolling.....once it starts it will unroll the rest of the way itself). Am I right in thinking that there is not enough tension on the spring? If so then to put more tension on the spring I should roll up till about a foot from the top..slid a pin through to hold..remove arm, clamp on vice grips and wind approx 8 turns, slid in pin and reattach. Do I have that right?
So now if I press retract let it roll till it is all the way, out keep pressing retract it should roll back up...yes...no?
Almost. You will want the correct total amount of turns for your awning. If you need to rewind it then you will need to completely unwind it first so that you know the exact number of full turns starting from a relaxed spring. 8-10 full turns is typically about right for an electric awning.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Steve, Be VERY CAREFUL when you are playing with those springs! I've seen some really nasty wounds and nearly lose of fingers because they did not follow directions or proceeded to a next step without following safety procedures. Awning springs are VERY non-forgiving!
Good luck and let us know how things go!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #20
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
Thanks to all for input...so far...Ok today I tried to retention the spring as has been discussed. With the awning approx 1 foot from the top I installed pin to hold in place, removed from arm, removed pin and there was almost no tension on the spring so I put 8 clockwise turns on the spring. Put it back together pressed retract intending to let it all the way out and hopefully retract, however it basically fell open. So I figured I wound it the wrong direction. So I went through the process again but winding the other direction. After reassembly it is back to the way it was when I started. I.E. open when pressing retract and would not go past open and retract as it should.
So next am going to try to tension the spring while it is fully extended. I want the tube to roll clockwise to retract so I plan to load the spring 8 revolutions counterclockwise.
Thoughts anyone?
Again thank you.