Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #61
LckyTinyTrailrLivin
Established Member

M.O.C. #19045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemus Gordon View Post
We routinely get 115-117 during summers in Redding. This year it hit 116 in June. I learned to put both units on "high Fan" during the day. We get RV down to 74-78 depending on which end you travel. Here the units freeze up and just blow hot air if left on Auto. With AC unit fans on high, the units run full time and no icing issues. Also learned that setting thermostats below 70 rarely makes a difference. We also bought exhaust vent insulation inserts for all four fantastic fans, and one for skylight in bath. Along with shades pulled completely down we survive. That said I just bought a free standing AC for front living room and vent it out the basement. This will be first time I use it later this week, will report results.
Artemus Gordon - What do you mean by "venting to basement" for the free standing A/C unit? (i'm a newbie)

LckyTinyTrailrLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #62
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
AC Unit

Artemus. Sound like you have it all together. One suggestion. Icing is caused by the airflow of supply and return air not matching the specifications of each AC unit. In my Montana my Blizzard NXT in the rear needs @least 48 sq inches of supply duct volume capacity to keep the coils from icing. Dometic recommends a minimum of 4 ceiling registers of 14 square inches of free airflow per register. My penguin in the front has an almost identical requirement. So in my Montana I had 7 ceiling registers but found out they were only capable and designed to deliver 10 inches of free airflow. So if you want to improve the system and allow the fan to run on auto adding more ceiling vents to meet least the minimum recommended Dometic air flow I had to add three additional identical vents. This brought me up to 100 sq inches of supply airflow and I can run both my units in auto fan without icing. I am behind you on getting heat sources fixed! I have however gottenall interior air to properly circulate without hot spots.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #63
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
about three years ago I camped at a Regional MOC rally and it was the first hot camping we had done. I complained to the others about my cold bedroom and hot living room and HOOK showed me that I had my bedroon A/C dumping straight down and not into the ducts. That solved most of my issues, but 20 degrees delta is about all you can get. It really helps to put the silver reflecting bubble sheets in the windows that face the sun and behind the furnace return air grates. (under the steps) on a 3402RL.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #64
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I get 29 degrees drop in both units. I am now adding slide covers and window awnings and will equip all other windows with sunscreen snap on covers with a pouch if I have to use foil. I have shades over skylights and need to fix the two door windows to block light attractively! I spent weeks sealing and insulating basement with more work ahead on this. I added the vents to the hot areas so I got more even cooling. Adding foil is a great idea but if you have double pane , which I do not intentionally, the double light incident and reflected makes the glass far hotter and eventually deteriorates the seals on double pane causing fogging and very expensive resealing. That is why I am either buying exterior sunscreens with pouches for foil or making them myself.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #65
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
about three years ago I camped at a Regional MOC rally and it was the first hot camping we had done. I complained to the others about my cold bedroom and hot living room and HOOK showed me that I had my bedroon A/C dumping straight down and not into the ducts. That solved most of my issues, but 20 degrees delta is about all you can get. It really helps to put the silver reflecting bubble sheets in the windows that face the sun and behind the furnace return air grates. (under the steps) on a 3402RL.
How do you switch that? Mine dumps into the bedroom but I just figured that's the way it was..

Mark
Old 06-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #66
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Mark, it's a slide on the A/C cover.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #67
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
Mark, it's a slide on the A/C cover.
I went right out and looked, and by crackie there it was, hiding in the discharge grate. I love this forum! Thanks!!

Mark
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #68
LckyTinyTrailrLivin
Established Member

M.O.C. #19045
What does "venting to basement" for the free standing A/C unit mean? (i'm a newbie)
LckyTinyTrailrLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #69
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I'm wondering ~~ Main AC is ducted pushing forward, front AC is ducted pushing rearward. How efficient can it be using the same ducts????
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #70
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
The ducted system is very lilely marginal to Dometic Specifiations as it is sized for only one rooftop unit. If you investigated the fan specs for each unit they deliver about 300 cu feet/min each or 600 cubic feet per minute. If you measured the airflow out of each ceiling vent you should get close to the total of 600 cu feet per minute. You would need to rent a hood and meter to measure airflow. If the duct met specs for two units it should work fine. The pressurized duct should give equal flow to each ceiling register if they are all identical freespace per register.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #71
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Thanks to this forum, I went out and checked for some of the a/c issues other members are experiencing. I removed my return air grates and found both of my return air ducts collapsed down to about 1" opening. Like others, I used some pvc pipe cut into 6" sections and inserted them into the duct to hold it open. I haven't measured my air flow, but i could tell the difference just standing under vents.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #72
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
mine is still setting at Camping World in Lowell AR since 7/3. They called me last week, said no trouble found, its blowing 50 degrees.

I told them see their mobile tech, he came out and saw it was blowing 50 degrees but it was 93 outside and 89 inside. Park it in the sun and try again.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #73
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
That is what they will tell you and then do nothing! The problem with the Keystone AC Systems is that their installs do not meet dometic Specs and their coach is so full of holes you are trying to cool the outdoors. Try closing off all your floor registers, blocking the return air vents at the stairs and see if that helps. If that helps also try pulling off all the ceiling register grilles and see if that helps.