Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Lighting and other Modifications

We all make changes in our trailers and I am no different. I posted this under another Subject kind of accidently and decided I should post it stand alone in case anyone would like to copy anything I did.

I have never owned anything that did not receive modifications. We have added LED lights to all of the outside compartments switched so that any door turns them all on. We added LED strips to the step area and to the rear of the trailer wired to the porch light so one can see to walk around the trailer at night. The tail and back up lights were changed out to LEDs for a brighter behind.

The left hand storage door located behind the big pass thru compartment was turned upside down to get it out of the way when open. The fifth wheel hitch stayed with the dealer and was replaced with a Goose Box so it would connect to my goose neck ball in the bed of the pickup. The release cable on the Goose Box was nearly unreachable so it was extended to the rear of the mount. A hanger was installed on the rear of the mount to hang the light and breakaway cable on when not in use. The TV tie down straps were padded so the buckles would not be rubbing on the screen. We have added Dish TV satellite to the TV's so we can watch and record favorite shows while on the road. A four inch memory foam pad was added to the original king mattress in hopes that we will be comfortable.

Now that we have used the trailer and are spending a few nights each week in it another very important mod will be made shortly. As those of you familiar with the 3725 know lights in the living area will come on when the door is opened much like an automobile which is very nice for getting in the house when I forget to leave a light on. However, when the door is closed one is left standing in the dark fumbling for the control panel and trying to remember switch turns on and inside light.

I have two ways to approach this issue but as yet have done neither. I will first try a delay timer in the circuit as many late model vehicles have to maintain the lights on until a switch can be easily reached. If that fails to work out I will mount a switch on the wall behind the switch in the door that will give me a manual override for the lights when I come into the RV. If I can remember to do it I will post what happened with this mod after I get it done. If anyone has already solved this defect in the trailer design please let me know account you might just save me some time.

hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nice mods, but the only caution is the goose neck conversion. There was a time (maybe it's still that way), that Keystone or Montana did NOT recommend using a gooseneck adapter because it created more stress to the fiver's front cap, then warranty issues are compromised in the event of a failure. I suppose this would not be a concern on a utility/horse/cargo trailer since the size of the front cap might make a difference, but you might want to look into this or maybe others can comment either way.

Regarding the delay timer, I'd prefer the override switch since I'd anticipate I wouldn't be happy with whatever delay it would be. Sometimes a convenience can be inconvenient.

Have fun keeping up with those mods.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Art N Marge
The dealer I bought from called the factory and they told him (he said) that the goose box was the only goose neck option that would not void the warranty. I hope that is right and that long term there will be no problems. We shall see.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Nice mods, but the only caution is the goose neck conversion. There was a time (maybe it's still that way), that Keystone or Montana did NOT recommend using a gooseneck adapter because it created more stress to the fiver's front cap, then warranty issues are compromised in the event of a failure. I suppose this would not be a concern on a utility/horse/cargo trailer since the size of the front cap might make a difference, but you might want to look into this or maybe others can comment either way.

Regarding the delay timer, I'd prefer the override switch since I'd anticipate I wouldn't be happy with whatever delay it would be. Sometimes a convenience can be inconvenient.

Have fun keeping up with those mods.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'd at least get that in writing from the dealer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote