Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Parked next to a Woodals campground evaluator a couple of yrs ago. They noticed some of their lower ratings came out higher when published. The comment was "money talks" as Woodals is paid for the advertisements.
Mike
And there goes faith in the product....

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #22
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Talking with an evaulator a few years ago I got the impression from what the evaluator said was that that he was staying at the campfrounds free.
If this is true, it certainly gives an advantage to the campground for receiving a higher score tha what they deserve
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's what makes this forum so valuable. Ask about a campground and someone usually has been there we can trust.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #24
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
We began 4 years ago with Trailer Life campground directory and (believe it or not) iExit book has campgrounds listed at exits along with fuel, restaurants, shopping, etc. I would check against rvparkreviews at night looking at campgrounds within our route.

Then I got a smart phone and the All-Stays Camp & RV app, Passport America app and then check rvparkreviews while in the truck and we can call about an hour out. In fact, we just did that in Florida and I read about one of the parks having an infestation of bugs as recently as a week before! So I quickly found another park in the area from rvparkreviews (they also list nearby towns & distance from) & avoided the possible circumstance.

Sure do like using the iPhone in place of so many camping books and finding a place for them for convenience. JMHO!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #25
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
We just spent two days over the past week driving around Florida again looking for campgrounds to move our rig to someplace different for a few months. Not that we are unhappy with the place we are now, but after a year of having it set up in one place we are looking for a change of scenery. Having the advantage of living in Tampa and getting out of Dodge for the weekends and vacations allows us to look around without being on the road dragging the Montana and committed to some place based on a written review by someone we don't know or trust.

I am a contributor to RV Park Reviews and it is fair to say the ratings are in the eyes of the beholder, usually based on their expectations vs. what they discovered upon arrival. Florida RV parks priority are snowbirds first with all the things a migrating species could want like entertainment, activities, sewing circles, shuffleboard, Boce Ball, and close by all-you-can-eat restaurants advertising early bird specials.

Many older and smaller parks have given trailer trash a new meaning. It is unfortunate that they are located in some good places for fishing and outdoor activities more to my liking. They advertise themselves as a resort and have beautiful enticing web sites, but in fact are old run down fish camps and mobile home parks littered with tin junk that would disintegrate if you ever tried to move it.

So, on to my quest for a true RV campground, close to or on the water, be it lakes, rivers, or oceans, within 2 hours drive, good access roads, sites large enough to get your awning out without hitting your neighbors rig, pet friendly, 50amp, full hook ups, WI-FI that actually works, some shade, monthly rates that don't require taking out a loan, and close to a bicycle trail. Having said all that, I'm still looking. If the last two days are any indication, I'll be looking a long time, but I will find it.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #26
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Look for the thread just posted by Longwell. Have him send you his list, who knows he may have the perfect spot on that spreadsheet.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote