Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Wasps, Wasps & more Wasps...

On our last trip when we went to Michigan, we stayed at a private campground near Marion, OH. While not trying to bash this place I thought I would caution everyone about opening up the electric box during set up.

I placed my fingers inside the lip of the box to open it like I normally would and to my surprise a swarm of wasp came out. I did get nailed in the wrist by one of them. It didn’t take very long to start thinking about how I should approach this situation in the future.

Just a word of caution; be careful if you’re in a park that doesn’t have a large turnover each night. You might end up with a few unexpected surprises. This was at a place where most campers were set up for the season.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I haven't been driving my truck much lately. Last week when I opened the driver's side door, I saw (at the very last moment) a rather large wasps' nest that was being built INSIDE the door frame near the upper door hinge. Not kidding...

Now my truck's going to stink or another week or so from the spray deluge I inflicted on the nest.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Saw one go up into the propane tank compartment last night, did battle and found a large mud dauber nest. Then saw one go into the other side and haven't found the nest yet. Probably behind the bottle. That should be fun. Buying more spray before I take that project on.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Good friend hit a low tree branch and cracked his front AC plastic cover. Since he is physically unable to climb on the roof, I volunteered to replace it for him. Started taking it off and out come the wasp. Not a good thing when you are on the roof with no place to go. Surprisingly, they were rather sedate. Two fell on the roof and I mashed them with the screwdriver handle. A couple flew away. He threw up some wasp spray and I eased up the cover and sprayed the rest on the fairly large nest.
After taking the old cover off, I found the inside of the AC unit also had a lot of dirt dauber nests. Cleaned all those out before installing the new cover.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When I go on roofs to work on the HVAC I take a big can with me, almost always there are wasps. I have all my vents covered with screen in the Monte, but the A/C units up there are not.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I had one big problem with the bee's or wasp or hornet what ever it was.. flew away before I could tell what it was...I leave the flip flops outside when I enter the Monty.. about noon the other day I stepped out of the Monty and into my flip flops.. I then limped around for 3 days.. whatever kind of bee, wasp or hornet he did a good job on the bottom of my foot..now I check my flip flops before I step into them...

lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Now I've found them in the MorRyde mechanism where the electric box is.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
They also like to build nests in the pinbox, as do birds. At this moment I have two large throw rugs rolled up and shoved inside the pinbox, hoping to keep them out. It might work for birds but the wasps will probably find a way to get in and will consider the obstructions help protect their nests. I'll find out when I pull those rugs out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote