Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I came from Ford dealership then ran a service call this afternoon, I told the dealership I wanted a SUV or the Flex wagon. I can't run service calls out of a Taurus I can't get in and out of, and there is no room to keep all the boxes of thermostats, relays, capacitors, motors and all my service instruments and tools.
I now have a Ford Flex wagon, lots of room. I promised them I would not strap a ladder on top...
I went in to the service desk and asked the status of my truck.
I told them that spraying deodorizer in the coils would not make me happy, I want the fan motor replaced, that is the source of the burned wiring smell, it has to be, and I told them I would go as high up the 'ladder' as it would take to get the problem resolved.
I asked about the rear turbo noise, the service writer told me it was the Regen that makes noise. I told him I am quite familiar with that noise and it is the rear Turbo that is bad, not the Regen noise.
I reminded them that I am losing money each hour they keep my truck and put off fixing it because they are stumped. I left it at that.
I just got a phone call telling me that they are replacing the fan motor, the service dept. troubleshooter found a burned fan motor and also they have ordered a rear turbo, it will be in Monday.
And it is all covered by Ford.
The squeaky wheel gets the oil.....
and Sue didn't have to post my bail.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #22
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good work, Ozz. Your advantage is knowing what you are talking about. Can you imagine what you may have gotten if you hadn't?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Stiles. But.......that is what they said, we shall see. Sometimes I am not as smart as I think I am, and sometimes they do not do what they say they will do.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #24
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
TRUST but VERIFY always
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These days they rely on the Computer to trouble shoot everything..No code..no trouble.. I think if the motor was on fire and it did not throw a code..there would be....no trouble.
One does have to be firm...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Oh boy, yesterday they called me and asked me to come to the shop Monday at 10:00 and take a ride with the mechanic, they wanted me to see if the noise they hear is the one I hear.... This is after they said the rear turbo was coming in for replacement, after they said yes, we heard the noise, it isn't normal and we are replacing the turbo.
I may end up in jail yet...
You are right Rich. I think they are over cautious because they probably have made mistakes in the past and had to 'eat' a repair because they could not document that it was a defective part, or made a diagnostic mistake.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #27
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Sometimes the method is called: R & R remove and replace until you find the problem with no effective trouble shooting. Think of the cost to the Dealer and manufacture. Had my 09 in for a left hand heater/ac control modulator that was defective; impossible to arrive at a temperature set point. Stopped at a Dealer in Phoenix, AZ and it took the Tech a good hour of testing before he agreed with my logic and pinpointing of the problem. Once problem was located we had to set another appointment for a day to repair ( book says 6-8 hours). Complete dash had to be removed and replaced to change that modulator out which was only a small $38 item!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ellis, in my trade that is not permitted. We are held to a higher standard, I have to be able to go into a 2 million population, repair any Boiler, any rooftop HVAC system, any refrigeration unit; walk-in cooler, freezer, or under counter refrigeration unit and pinpoint the problem, replace the part, or repair the component. In our trade we call the R & R guys hacks and 'Parts changers' I am a Machinist, ran a machine shop for 4 years, repaired Submarines, Nuke and Conventional in the Navy, the print, or worn part would come in, we would take the raw material from the stock rack and build it. I went through 5 years in a Pipefitter apprenticeship, then had 3 more years of schooling, just last week I attended trouble-shooting and equipment updating school for a 8 hr day. That is what it takes for commercial HVAC and Electrical repairs in the market. I make mistakes and I also 'eat' my mistakes, my customer doesn't get charged when I put in a part and it doesn't fix their equipment. It is a tough field, but I love the challenge.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #29
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
And just remember if you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbhd2

And just remember if you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #31
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I just called the service writers boss and unloaded on them, still have my truck, didn't call me yesterday or today, haven't fixed the truck.
I think they are just parking it on the back lot and hoping I go away.... I am not going anywhere.
Communication, that is all it takes to keep a customer happy in a tough service problem. grumble...grumble...
Old 04-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #32
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ozz,
Had mine in 4 times for a fan motor (very annoying) tic behind the instrument panel. Told them to keep it until they find and fix the problem. If it was longer than a month they could make the payment since they now own it. Fixed the next day.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #33
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mike, I might use that
Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #34
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
There is a servo motor that controls the blend door air flow on the ATC units. It makes a ticking noise when it tries to adjust the air temp that they know is a problem. I've had four put in and it still does it occasionally. They won't fix it unless they can hear it. But the new one still makes the ticking noise. Just put another in it don't fix the problem.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #35
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
They replaced that motor last time it was up there. (Instead of replacing the burned fan motor..) They replaced the burned motor this time, finally.
Well the service manager called just now, They are stumped, had all the best troubleshooters look at it, checked Ford's service Hot line he said.. Now they are using a wireless 'Mike' they will put the transmitter up on the engine, drive it, then move it around.
I asked him if they ruled out the rear Turbo (that I told them was the problem when I took it up there) he said we have ruled out nothing at this point.
I had to tell them to drive an identical truck like mine, listen to it, then drive mine again.. He said the other truck did not make the noise mine did. DUH! That's why I brought it in to them!
Tomorrow, it will be 7 days they have had it.... Morons.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #36
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Come on Ozz what do you really think?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #37
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Come on Ozz what do you really think?
Lynwood
You do quality work! What was the oddest and most interesting machining job you have done?
I can think of one for me, it was machining a shaft bearing for a conventional sub, out of a swamp tree that was submerged all it's life, they brought it into the machine shop in a container of water. We worked all night on it.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #38
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Interesting? I don't know. Fun I can tell you about that. I make ammo reloading equipment. All of these guys have guns, hunt and fish. I have a buddy almost everywhere in the US. I could leave home and stay at a different friends house every night and see the whole United States. These are the most wonderful people. A guy will call and order something, I trust him, put it in a box with a invoice and send it to him. They ALL pay. Where else could you find that?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #39
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That is fun, I went to your website and saw your work, very nice.
It's uplifting to deal with good people.
Take care.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #40
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Still have no truck.
I called and spoke to the service manager, I asked where they were at in diagnosing my truck, he told me about the wireless 'Mike', after he did that, I told him that his service writer told me that 2 days ago...old news. I also stated that tells me they haven't made any efforts for 2 days. I then explained to him 'How the cow eats Cabbage'.
I said my next phone call is going to be to Ford, I will open a file on the dealership, and I was tired of them running over me. I asked him what the problem really is? He said he has 40 vehicles to work on, 4 Diesel mechanics, one broke his shoulder, one out sick. My truck has a very unusual complex problem. I thanked him for his honesty, but told him I will not be put off any longer, I will be looking over his shoulder. That afternoon the lead mechanic called me, told me a Ford Corporate troubleshooter was coming in Monday to help find the problem, and that will give him added approval to dig deeper.
I knew when I looked under the hood and saw the complex engine equipment, it could be a serious problem. That is why I bought the best 0 deductible bumper to bumper policy I could buy. Now it's up to Ford.
Making me craZY.