Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
50 amp breaker on slide making noise

I had a dealer change out my 30 amp to a 50 amp on the slider. Now when we tried to pull it in it was making a beeping sound like when a truck is backing up then it stops making the noise. I sure don't want to hook the trailer back up and go back to the dealer. Is this a normal sound?

Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
In a word, no it's not normal. I wonder if they hooked it up right. The breaker should have one side marked to indicate current flow (from battery to accessory - in this case your slide motor). You can check that yourself, but if you're like me, you might need a magnifying glass. If it's hooked up wrong, you can unhook it and turn it around, but unhook your batter and unplug from shore power first!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This happened to me when the Circuit breaker was STILL not strong enough and caused the battery voltage to drop so low the propane detector was "beeping" because it's warning that the battery was dying (or in your case being overly stressed). 50 amps is not quite enough.

If you are interested on how this is SUPPOSED to be fixed - most dealers are either too ignorant, too lazy or too cheap to fix it RIGHT - then give us another post. My dealer did the same thing but only went up to 40 amp from the 30 amp. They think they are heroes but are not doing enough! When this is happening have someone stand next to the propane alarm to confirm, but I'm pretty sure it's the propane alarm crying for help.

They should be using an 80 or 100 amp breaker but these are hard to find and generally more expensive. Lippert (manufacturer of most slide systems) has a documented procedure to use higher amperage circuit breakers or like many of us in MOC we installed two less-expensive, much-more-available 40 amp (or 50 amp) in PARALLEL to get the same amperage value. This has solved the slide out start/stop problems pretty much 100 percent.

Do make sure the reservoir is full of fluid (1/2" from the top of ATF type A), your rear stabilizers are down (to prevent excessive movement and lessen stress) and your batteries are in tip top shape (almost 13v and all cells are filled with distilled water). These can also cause extra stress and power weakness.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Since I really don't want to go back to the dealer on this, is this something that my husband and I can do? Is there a step by step instructions on how to do it?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Yes, I have this information that I used that I got from another member. Send me an email, then I will forward it to you with instructions, attachments and pictures.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Art I sent a e-mail but here's it is just in case it didn't go through. dasher51@juno.com
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Thanks for providing your email address because I did not receive an email if you sent one. I had sent one via MOC, too and I'm not sure it got through (I don't think it did or you would have replied). It might be the MOC website upgrade causing the email function not to work in light of the recent spammer, or the avatars not to work; things just aren't 100%, yet.

I sent the email with attachments and pictures to the email address you provided. Keep in touch if you have any questions.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I am a little puzzled. It is my understanding that the factory supplied breaker for the hydraulic system 50 amps. 30 amps; that will never make it as the pump is rated at 100 amps. Hopefully Art has the info needed. Breakers are available on Ebay at a decent price.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I got the breakers at NAPA, then found them for way cheaper at a couple of RV supply stores.

What can I say SlickWillie? This is what the dealer told me they were and I didn't verify it. Since Lippert now allows 80 to 100amps, why mess around? But this was back when I believed in dealerships and warranties and that they knew what they were doing. Shame on me for not checking, but since joining the MOC I have learned more that most dealer personnel. The techs still might know more overall, but not for long, the way things are going.

Will, last thing, this is the same information I have forwarded to two others within the last 3 months who were scared to fix this themselves and they had no problems. I anticipate Debbie and her husband should have no issues as well. That will make three in a row, not counting me and the person I got the information from. This is one of the most satisfying, inexpensive fixes I have done. The return on the investment has saved a lot of frustration. NO more stop/start!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Today the service department that we took our rig to, sent a service guy to our house at no charge. He checked the slide out to make sure that the 50 amps were working properly and that the batteries were fully charged. Did not have to replace batties they were still in good shape, he checked to make sure that all the power was were it was suppost to be. He rechecked the slides and they are working on the 50 amp the service department put in. We will more then likely put in another 50 amp parallel to the other just in case. Thanks for all the help.