Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
water filtration

I'm toying with the idea of installing a water filtration system.I snowbird in FL.and the water is awful from the tap.I get bottle or go to the water machines for drinking water,also the water back at the campground back home is bad.I don't know how much of a process I want to do without going overboard or not going far enough.I wonder if I could get some feedback on what you guys and gals are using.

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Know what you mean about Florida water. We are near Disney and the water is undrinkable.. Well it is drinkable if you can get past the smell and the taste.. We purchased a system at a Escapee's rally from these folks www.rvwaterfilterstore.com

We use a F5/cfb-10 plus 5 micron filter and a F1 cbfc-10 1 micron filter in series along with the proper canisters and fittings. They must be good filters and they are not cheap. The entire set up cost , I think 200.00 or so.. It cleans up that foul Florida Water to where it is completely drinkable.. We have one of those water testers and the Water tested nearly as pure as spring water but the smell and taste was horrible. You can call these folks and tell them exactly what you want to fix and they will build a system for you....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I use the double jumbo filters from www.rvwaterfilterstore.com. Call them and they can fix up whatever you need. I also intalled a waterpure filter and seperate spigot under the kitchen sink. We drink our water wherever we are and have been doing so since fulltiming. I Change filters out every 6 months. They can even do soft water if you want it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We use a Seagull IV system on the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink for drinking and cooking water. We also use a Taste Pure in line water filter mainly to remove sediment but it also improves the taste
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
We carry bottled water with us in case we run into a place with bad smelling/tasting water. I have never used a filtration system before and have a few questions before installing one. We have a 3400RL we would be installing in and would likely use the rvwaterfilter store products.

If I use the jumbo filters is this a "whole house" system?
Does this restrict water flow to the shower?
Is one jumbo filer enough since it's just my wife and I?
Is the system permanently mounted and if so, where?
Do the filters get moldy sitting in storage?
Do the filters freeze in the winter?
Is there a low point drain in the filters?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
One of the first 'improvements' I did after we got our Montana was to put a whole house filtration system on the water line near the convenience center. You just never know what kind of water you'll run into. Like trlrboy, we also carry a few gallons of bottled water.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
trlrboy..as you can see many of us use www.rvwaterfilterstore.com It is all in the filter. We learned so much about filters at the RVwater filter seminars. There are filters that do not restrict flow, You need to pick the proper filter for your particular needs. The store will help ypu on this. The dual canister system cleans up our Florida water. You can install them permanent or not... My guess is they will freeze if iy get cold enough. Filters are changed on a regular basis. Call these folks and ask those questions.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As with Rich, we use the dual filter system - got ours from Lowes - first one sediment, second one carbon. Night and day difference with Florida water (phosphorous in the aquifer). Wally World has replacements.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We keep ours in a milk crate INSIDE the basement. We cut a hole (hole saw) in the side of the convenience center to run the hose up into the filters and then another hole out to the city water connection on the trailer. This way we are able to lock the filters away and no one can get to them. Also, on below freezing nights we just disconnect from CG water and pull hose inside the trailer, cover the large hole and use our onboard water for the night. Don't have to keep putting the filter in and out....Works great for us.......
Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
OK, I took everyone's advice and called the company so many of you used. Amazingly helpful company, aren't they? He explained everything I needed to know about which filter to purchase and why one was better than another. Great help.

One last question. If I install these in a permanent location inside the trailer near the water inlet, how do I disconnect the water line without water going all over the place when I'm traveling? Just screw a plug into the inlet side?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
trlrboy, when I disconnect from the CG water source, I lower my hose and there is a relief valve on the canister I push which empties the line, then I just put it inside the trailer. You could put a cap on the hose also, I don't. I also do not disconnect hose from the trailer inlet port. Just leave it in all the time....... Hope this helps...
Old 12-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I made a short piece of hose - about 3 foot long - that stays connected all the time. It's long enough to pass through the opening in the bottom of the convenience center and hang below the trailer about a foot when in use. On the end of it, I put a shut off valve and a quick connect (with a matching quick connect on my regular water hose). The shut off is one of those 1/4 turn valves, and we not only use it to shut off the water system when traveling, but also when we are hooked up but away from the trailer as a precaution against a leak happening when we're not around.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 AM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Any pictures Tom??
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Any pictures Tom??
Just for you, I braved the cold and damp to take this:

Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697

Tom,

If I'm looking at this right it looks like the water comes from the spigot to the black quick-connect fitting and to the inlet side of your filters. Then it looks like you have it hard-piped from the outlet of the filters to the pressure control valve to the fresh water inlet of the trailer. Is that right? What is the other hose I can see to the left of the convenience center? Nice work by the way.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Tom! Hope you didn't get frostbite from that trip out to the Monte!

trlrboy-- I'll bet that's Tom's hose from the keg he keeps cool in the basement!

Wish I had a rig new enough to have a convenient center!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Thanks Tom! Hope you didn't get frostbite from that trip out to the Monte!

trlrboy-- I'll bet that's Tom's hose from the keg he keeps cool in the basement!

Wish I had a rig new enough to have a convenient center!!
I only wish that other hose was for a keg!!!! No, it's a short piece of hose I have for winterizing.

trlrboy: Thanks for the comments. You've pieced together how it's hooked up correctly.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #18
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I was looking at the big skys one day, kind of dreaming, and saw they have a filter behind the convience center permenetly mounted. I liked the concept as I don't have to hook and unhook from cg when we travel. I have since added a second filter there also. Since these are mounted inside the couch, I do not have to worry about freezing. I have camped in single digits with out any issues at the filter. Works well for us this way.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have an interesting concept going here at The Ranch in Lakewood, NM. A couple years ago, the State of New Mexico insisted that we upgrade our sewer and water systems. We installed (had installed) a lagoon system with new septics and piping; also installed a complete, park wide, RO water system. Boy, you talk about good water -- wow! And, wouldn't you know it, I'm still double filtering the water coming into the rig. Took me about a week to realize I didn't also need to pour the water into a Brita pitcher for another filtering! Love it!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #20
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Tom,
If you get a chance would you take a picture of how you have the filters set up? I'd like to copy your system in my trailer. I promise to put a little sign on my setup that says "Design by Tom".