Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
Banks equipment

A few questions for any F-250/6.4 L Power Stroke owners:

- is any of you running any of the Banks gear?
- If so, did you install it or have it installed?
- did you realize the claimed HP & torque increases?
- how pricey was it?
- would you do it again?
- does this invalidate Ford's warranty?

Thanks for any input.

-Bob

kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
"Any" modification and the warranty is VOID.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
As Bill said they will void your warranty. Any performance enhancing equipment you put on, even if you take it off, leaves a footprint, so to speak, on the computer and they will know it had something on it. Now, I'm told there are some gizmos that can be installed on some of the sensors that will help with fuel economy and regeneration and won't leave a print on the computer but you would have to know where they are so you could remove them before you take it in for service.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Actually in the So. Cal. area, there is at least one Ford dealer that offers diesel mods and not just from Banks, but they must be installed and honored by that dealer. I tried to purchase and install the Banks mods from the Banks Engineering plant up the road from them, which would have been much less expensive than at the dealer. But when I contacted the service desk and told them my plan, they said that was unacceptable because they did not install them. What's up with that? They would honor the warranty from their own second source trained technicians, but not from the persons who trained them.

Otherwise, heed Bill's advice.

Good luck finding a source.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As long as the warranty is in effect I follow all Ford procdures. After that if we still have the truck..we shall see.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Joeagrant
Established Member

M.O.C. #9499
I don't think the Banks, per se, will leave a print on your engine computer, because it alters the signals to the engine after they have left the computer. However if you ever exceed factory parameters,(I.E Boost pressure) the computer will show that.I can definetly feel a difference in the power after installing mine. I had it installed by a shop, and you will need at least a bigger exhaust to realize any gains.
Joeagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Joeagrant
Established Member

M.O.C. #9499
Can someone tell me if there is a way to edit a post. I always seem to fine a word that is spelled wrong, after I do a post.
Joeagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
All depends on your Dealer and to what extent the damage is to the engine for warranty. If you raced it and literally destroyed the power train; yes your warranty will be void. I have a friend that ran chips to increase the horsepower substantially on a 6 liter and had problems with the head bolts. Ford went good on this repair a number of times before they said that the horsepower developed was above the capability of that engine. Remember; Ford wants to continue to sell trucks and the Dealer must move them.
I have personally made modifications to mine and have discussed that with our General manager of the Dealership. I was simply getting tired of high fuel consumption, many exhaust filter regens and lack of capable horsepower. After the modifications my 09 6.4 is a totally different truck. Pulled our Monty over this recent weekend 380 miles at 65 miles per hour and the exhaust gas temp never exceeded 1100F in the hills and 750F on the level with the 210 horsepower tune. The accesability to power train data is just exceptional compared to stock. There is no lag in acceleration and our fuel mileage has increased 2 to 2.5 miles per gallon (hand calculated) while towing the 14,000lbs. We have not had a chance to check the mileage as an empty truck yet.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joeagrant

Can someone tell me if there is a way to edit a post. I always seem to fine a word that is spelled wrong, after I do a post.
There is an extra icon at the top of your post that allows you to edit it. It usually is the third icon which looks like a piece of paper with a pen over it (just in front of the "PM" one). If you float the cursor above it, the words "Edit Topic" will appear. Click on that icon to be put into an edit session on your original text.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
There are modifications you can make that will not effect your warranty, such as air intake and some exhaust mods. Engine tuners are not among them. While tuners may not leave code remnants in the computer (assuming you remove the program prior to taking the truck to the dealer), the computer does record when a change to it has been made, which in itself leads to suspicions.

Other posters pointed out there are some dealers who will install power upgrades and still warranty the engine, but what happens if you are a thousand miles away from that dealer when something happens?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have never had a need to install Gadgets to increase HP or Torq. But we have always had a Duramax/Allison, until we got the Freightliner Mercedes Diesel. If you read the Diesel forums you will see there is a lot of problems with Gadgets that are added to a poven combo like the Duramax/Allison. I was told by a Diesel Tech than run a tuner that any change to the computer on a GM Diesel there will be a imprint and you can't remove it? I want ever know because I want take that chance. With todays problems in the Light Truck industry is it worth taking a chance in blowing up a $12,000 Diesel engine. We always towed over the GVWR and never ever needed more HP and Torq, thanks to the Duramax. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
A great majority of the trucks here in Alberta are diesels and 4X4s and are owned and run in the oilfield.( There are some of the largest truck dealers here in North America). Literally every one is modified, chipped and tuned, the dealers have been very supportive and know that these are their customers and must keep them happy and continue to buy these $60,000 plus units. When a contractor comes in and orders/ tenders for 20 trucks and wants them modified are you as a dealer or manufacture going to turn them away? I don't think so. I guess if my truck craters in another State, and do not support ford's warranty engine wise; yes that would be my problem and negotiation with Ford Motor Company. And yes it is our choice and we will take the risk to get efficiences from a well built diesel engine. I was going to wait another 6 months but could not stand the poor fuel mileage and constant regens that burn additional fuel let alone starved horsepower. This is only IMO and in no way am tryinmg to promote any tune/chip line. I know this discussion could go on and on but that's why we have specific diesel discussion boards to openly discuss these items.
Bob, go to: http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/forum169/ This forum is specific to 6.4 owners and their discuission. I am sure you'll get a detailed answer to your specific questions. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #13
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
IMHO, and with my truck, I have plenty of power to haul the Montana where ever I want to go. It is not worth risking damage to the engine or loss of warranty for a bit more power.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #14
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I put the Banks exhaust on the same week I bought my truck. Yes it made it respond a bit quicker, but would I do it again, NO. My truck had 300hp compaired to the newer 360+hp trucks. Does it sound good? Yes to a certain point but trying to have a converstion going down the hwy, well thats another thing. Once it gets past 72-75 mph then you loose the rumble. Now granted I'm 1/2 deaf but I've riddin in trucks without the exhaust and it is quiet inside. I have checked for leaks and loose fittings but all is good. This is only my opinion on what I myself would do again. Thanks JP
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #15
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
I have had an Edge Evolution fitted to my F350, 7.3 Ford. I'm thrilled with the increase in fuel economy and towing power, but I was warned by the diesel tech that I'd need a new torque converter, because the original Ford part was weak. However we'd had that replaced just prior to the Edge being fitted, and so we went ahead. Edge claims that warranties may be voided, and so will not cover any costs for damage themselves. The Evolution is a 'mild' tuner, and used sensibly will not damage your truck. There are a number of diesel forums with helpful advice, and I'd suggest searching those before deciding. Good luck with your decision.
maintechfotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
For what its worth, I installed the Banks intake and 4" muffler. In a quarter mile test (I do not race but simply wanted to see if it performed any better)it was about 10% faster. At that time I also installed the Banks Exhaust Brake. I have also found that my mpg increase about 1 mpg.

To me, the Exhaust Brake was far and away the best thing I have done to my truck. It makes a significant difference in stopping capability!!! I thought I would only use it when going down steep grades in the mountains, but I have found that I use it all the time. I use just to slow down when coming off the highway into a rest stop. I flip it on when coming up to a red light. Even when it is off, the nearby switch can quickly be flipped on to improve the braking action if/when a scary situation arises.

To date I have not had the kajebbers scared out of me while I was speeding up to fast, but have nearly had to clean my pants several on several ocassions because I almost didn't get stopped fast enough.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Rick,
I believe you made a good investment.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote