Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Little Wolf CG, Tupper Lake, NY

Well, we called ahead first to Blue Jay campsites, but were told that they could only handle 36 feet, SO, we called Little Wolf Campground in Tupper Lake, NY and they can handle 40 feet.

We arrived today around 3:30 p.m.

My father was born in this town, and as I was growing up as a boy we came here every year and visited relatives in the area. Relatives with the Surname Miner, Delair, Lafave, and maybe some I have forgotten. I'll be making a few calls to see if any of them are still around.

Oh! The campground! Well, it is run by the town of Tupper Lake, NY. It is a public beach with campsite access. Today, as it was 40 years ago, Little Wolf is frequented by the locals. They put their RV's here and come down for the weekend. There are several sites that are not long term, and we have one for the next three nights with FHU. There is a stone fireplace at the site. Trees provide shade, but there are open areas also. The beach opens for swimming on July 1st. That give you an idea of the water temperature. Today's high was about 65. This is a public beach and park. There is a very small refreshment stand, but it also is not open for hot dogs or hamburgers, just candy bars, ice cream, and soft drinks.

The grounds are as they have always been, hard packed sand and grass. I placed boards under my leveling jacks for support. They work fine. With 15+ tons of weight on the tires and jacks, it is necessary to have good ground support.

What is there to do in Tupper - not much I think. There is a meuseum of some sort and we will check that out. The nearest Wally-world is 56 miles away. I guess ol' Sam Walton didn't think there was enough of a population to build a store. There was a plastic utility (fork, knife, spoon) factory here, but I was told today that it closed about 2 years ago. Now the economy is dependent on a state hospital and prisons for their livelihood.

It's a nice place to chill for a few days, but then, anything in the Adirondacks is nice. Spectacular views and huge lakes, and I mean huge.

Oh! And the price for the 3 nights totaled $64. (let's see - Hmmm! that comes out to about $21.333333333 cents a night) It's so cheap because there are no television signals on the batwing.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote