Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #21
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Broke my hip while on active duty with the Army. Because of my age, they recommended against a hip replacement and suggested I elect to have it pinned, braced and grafted. I was bed and chair bound for 4 months and spent another 18 months on crutches. You should have seen the brace they fabricated for me at Walter Reed. Extended from my calf up to and around my chest. I had to wear it for 6 months, whenever I was walking. I lost ¾ of an inch of the injured leg. That shorting has really ended up causing me some real problems. As with Don, sometimes I need to use a shopping cart as a makeshift walker. The VA is going to fabricate shoes for me that should help out.

Doris has had 2 full hip replacements. The first one in Jan 2003. In Feb and March 2003 we were hiking around Iguassu Falls and Machu Picchu. She has minimal pain in that hip. She had her other hip replaced in Dec 2007. It is still giving her trouble. She a scheduled DR’s appointment last Friday, but Tropical Storm Fay shut Jacksonville down all day.

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #22
GOFNUTS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3053
Dennis, we hope the hip replacement will help you feel better. If there is anything we can do for you or Mary Kay let us know, as we are certainly close enough!! The American Heart Association has a good diet, a it limiting on what you can eat but it does work. Send us an email if you are interested in it. You both are in our thoughts and prayers. By the way, love the cute picture of B & B.
GOFNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #23
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Karen is right. I had rt hip replacement 8 years ago. I kept putting it off and living with the pain. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE. I have no pain even today. I play golf and do a lot of walking. After eight years I can almost bend over and touch my toe. I am not supposd to be able to do that. Start doing leg exercies now and strengthen your hip and leg museles. It will definitly help you in your recovery. GET THE HIP REPLACMENT, you will not be sorry. First week of recovery is hard. The exerice today will help you. I am 68 years old. If this one goes bad, I will definitly have a replacement again. Good luck.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #24
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Dennis and Don,

Let me add my 2 cents worth. I had a total hip replacement one year ago tomorrow. I have to say that it was probably the best decision I ever made. I was up sitting in a chair less than 24 hours after the surgery. They had me walking the next day. Had the surgery on Wednesday and was home on that Saturday. I had four weeks of physical therapy and was fully released by the Orthopedist by the middle of October.

The only problem I have had is that I still have a little problem stretching to put on my left sock. I stand on my feet for ten hours a day at work and have no problems at all.

The key to your recovery like others have said will be how hard you work on your rehab.

Good luck.

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #25
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Good luck Dennis - we'll be thinking of you and wishing you well.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #26
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I am so happy to hear that you are going to have the surgery that will stop your pain Dennis but I sure don't envy the diet you have to go on to lose the weight. As you know, most RVer's travel around the country to sample all the food.

Please let us know when your big day is. You have so many of us pulling and praying for you.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis, you will be in our prayers. As you know, we've enjoyed several visits with you and Mary Kay. You clearly try hard not to show the pain you're going through but we have seen it in a few of your unguarded moments. We're hoping this hip replacement turns out to be a real blessing for you, relieving much of the pain you're dealing with.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote