Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Murphy Got Us

As a prelude to this story I must tell you a little about us. I am the patient, calm, optimist and Ed is the inpatient, pessimist who has been know to blow his stack.

The saga begins in Elephant Butte, New Mexico. We were scheduled to leave on Monday (Jan. 7) and were headed to Benson, AZ which is where we originally had planned on spending the winter. We usually get all ready the day before so the morning we leave is not hard. However, it was very cold and windy (30 mph). The park had arranged for a large propane tank for us during the 2 months we were there. They had trouble getting it hooked up and we knew it was going to be as hassle to get ours hooked back on. We decided to wait until Monday morning to attempt in the hopes it would be warmer and less windy. We finally got the big tank unhooked but could not get ours hooked back up. We decided to go anyway and hopefully get into warmer weather and use our two electric heaters.

We planned on only going to Deming (100 miles) as we were going to be in head winds all the way. We traveled down I-25 and took the highway 26 as a shortcut to I-10. What I didn’t realize when I planned the route was the 26 took us beyond the campgrounds in Deming. We saw one after we got on the 10 but there was no way to get off. So we thought we would go to the next exit and circle back. The next exit was 10-15 miles down the road so I got on the computer and found a KOA at Lordsburg. In the meantime we are hungry as we had planned on having a late lunch in Deming. So we pulled off and parked on a turnout. There was a small truck stop there. The wind was blowing so hard I could not get the door of the Monty opened., Ed walked over to the truck stop and bought us a couple of hamburgers. We then took off for Lordsburg.

The KOA is Lordsburg was in a very bad part of town and had a very rude manager. We got parked and decided to stay hooked up as it was still cold and windy and there was no place decent to eat anyway.

However, now we realize we can’t cook because we have no propane. I remembered we had brought the electric skillet so we got it out and I made eggs, sausage and hash browns. All is now well again and we have the electric heaters running.

I wake up the next morning and realize it is very cold. Ed is in the living room and not a happy camper. The old (6-7 years) heater has died. We know we can get another in Benson as there is a Wal-Mart there. So we take off. Still cold but not as windy. We do need fuel before we get to Benson. We see a sign that says Chevron – Diesel so we take the turnoff. At the end of the turnoff it says Chevron – 7 miles. So we drive through this little town and see a Chevron and pull in. But this is not the Chevron with diesel so we have to pull out and it was a very tight turn. The attendant tells us diesel is down the road about 4 miles. We find the diesel station right next to the turn on back to the Interstate. We pull in and Ed fills up the truck. He goes into the Monty to use the restroom. I’m in the truck and I hear a lot of banging but I figure Ed is shutting a basement door or something. But the banging and shaking doesn’t stop and I don’t see Ed anywhere. So I open the truck door and I hear a voice. I get out of the truck and I hear Ed calling me from inside the Monty. He cannot get out of the bathroom as the handle has broken! Now I am running back and forth from the basement to the bathroom trying to get screwdrivers to take the handle off before Ed tears the Monty up. We finally get it off (in pieces) and free Ed.

Even though he was awfully mad while locked in, we have a good laugh about it once we get under way again. We arrive in Benson, find the RV park which is very nice and get set up. We found the Wal-Mart and buy a new heater and a door handle. But Murphy wasn’t done with us yet. The door handle will not work because the strike plate and faceplate had not been chiseled in when the Monty was built. This now means we have to find the chisels which are in the very bottom of the tool box on the truck.

We get the handle fixed and the next day when it was warm and not windy, Ed gets the propane hooked up. We hope Murphy has gone on to other places and people.

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sue,

You should have warned him after reading our 2 experiences with bathroom doors

DO NOT SHUT THAT DOOR WHILE YOU ARE ON THE INSIDE!

Goodness, you have had your share of Murphy, send him elsewhere, but, if you don't mind, could you send him to Asia or someplace, I don't want him near me, I had my share of him last year too.

Glad you got it all figured out, Life in a Montana IS an adventure, eh???

Thanks for sharing.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Sounds like you guys had quite the trip. Aint Murphy grand?

Looking forward to seeing you in Tucson.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It's too bad that folks who don't own an RV get to experience life on the road. Or do they? I was in Spain in the 70's and had just had a new baby, our first, and Cathy was a stay at home mom at the time,. I came home one afternoon and announcd that I was home. Cathy yelled out to me as she was in the bathroom. I went to open that door and the handle was laying on the floor. I told her the door was broke and she said "NO ____"! She and my son had been in there for 4 hours. Luckily she had taken Patrick in there when she went to bathe, if not she probably would have had to break the door down somehow.

Thanks for the tip about the bathroom door. Maybe I should leave a screwdriver on the shelf.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sue and Ed,

Now there is an adventure to remember!

Sorry to hear about all your troubles but ain't it fun?!

Take care and see you in Q.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
So sorry about your encounter with "Murphy".

When we had our Monty we had a screwdriver in the bathroom at all times. We still do with this new trailer.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, you have used up all the bad luck for awhile so should have some smooth sailing coming up!

26 is a good choice for a cutoff. We've taken it several times, too, and see lots of rv's on that road.

Next time you're in Lordsburg, there's a Flying J on one of the Lordsburg exits. It's the cheapest diesel in a couple hundred miles either way. Or was when we came through there last month.

I'm glad to hear you two are ok. And we'll see you Wednesday at Galleano's.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey! Remember, Murphy is an optimist!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I am a personal friend of Murphy and he will get you when ever he can. Thanks for the warning, I will pass this on to Sallie so she won't get locked in while I am out on my quad.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Sue,

Sounds like you kept your sense of humor. That makes life's little trials much easier to deal with. And as the Presbyterian said, "Lord I'm glad I got that behind me."
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Well you two are going to have some great stories to tell around the campfire at Q. See you there.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:00 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
oops, Vicki tells me it's dinner, not lunch.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Every RV I have ever had the bathroom handle needed to be changed out. Had hoped the Monty would be different, but from the sounds of things I think I will do this ahead of time.... When Murph is not with you, he certainly finds time to vist me. I can relate to your plight. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt....Nice you can laugh about it afterwords though... Best of luck the rest of the season, you have certainly put in your time with my old buddy....
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:08 AM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Sorry to hear Muryphy came visiting. I shoooed him away when I got locked out of the Monty in The Woodlands. Sure hope I didn't shoo him your way. I never shut that door....I just reminded Bob that he shouldn't either.

Question for those that have been locked in. Can you use a screw driver on the door when it is closed?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Coleen,
How much do you want out of the Monty? Screw driver might work, as would kicking the door open, or exiting through the fire escape windows (drop to the ground, but you'd be out.) All methods may cause damage. A big question is do you have a cell phone in the Monty. It's cheaper to call a locksmith and have minimum damage is my opinion.

Also, was the basement doors locked? if not you could get out that way through the hamper.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #16
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Waynem,

I was very lucky when I got locked out of the Monty. The basement wasn't locked and I had a band of fellow RV'ers that helped me get back in through the laundry chute. Still haven't had the spare key made.... that is on the to do list after our cruise.

I was wondering if a screw driver would actually help you out if you were stuck in the bathroom with the door closed. I don't shut the door as it would be my luck that hubby would never hear me screaming. He would find me only when he needed to use the potty I would rather not have a bruised shoulder trying to break down the door. It looks like it might be a losing battle unless you are pretty strong.

If I had a fire in the Monty I would be breaking out what ever window I needed to, heah a chair to the bay window would work if needed.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oops! Didn't mean to get so far off-topic.

Murphy says:

"If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong."

"If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway."

"If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop"

Remember, Murphy was an optimist! :-)

Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Sue and Ed,

Sorry for laughing....see you at Q!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Sue
Glad to hear "Murphy" is riding with you. We wondered where he was. He's usually with us. Made it all the way from Michigan to San Antonio without any problems. Now that's a first.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I guess we've just been lucky. Five fifthwheels in 13 years and we've never had a problem with a bathroom door handle. Now that I've said that...