Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
valve stem problems

Getting ready to go on our first trip of the new season and new I had one valve stem leaking so after hearing your comments I decided to have all four stems replaced including the spare. One problem stem replaced last year.

After stems replaced and nail removed from TV, slow leak, I kept a check on all tires and everything good. We are at the CG in Pittsburgh, PA 365 drive one way. Checked all tires and everything good.

I don't understand why such an important safety issue as tire pressure would be compromised by the manufactures not using the best products available. Reference post responding to my previous questions on the subject where you guys had changed to stems.

For whatever reasons my attempts to learn more about tire/valve stem problems didn’t seem to be a concern. My dealer told me to make an appointment and bring the unit in so they could check it and take care of the problem. It cost me less to have local tire shop change all the stems then it would have cost in fuel (160 mile round trip) to take it back to the dealer to look at and maybe fix one tire. This would still be a safety issue since the one tire would only hold 40-50 lbs of air not the 80lbs required and I would have to drive 80 miles with this tire having low pressure. I had a concern driving the 4.5 miles to the local tire shop.

Maybe now I will feel comfortable pulling camper and not expecting another bad stem on every trip. I had only put 531 miles on the camper prior to this trip and 6 months I have had it.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420

Quote:
quote:For whatever reasons my attempts to learn more about tire/valve stem problems didn’t seem to be a concern.
Mainly because there is no problem about the tire/valve stem. Any single product manufactured will have a few defective ones get by. This is not uncommon in any industry including the valve stem industry. Have been in tire sales and service for many years I have seen many a defective valve stem but these defects are the minor exception rather than the rule. My previous 04 2955RL was drug around the eastern US for 3 years of full timing and NEVER a valve stem problem. I had picked up nails in both the Monty and the TV which were repaired. In not one of the flats did I bother to have the stem replaced. The few instances of defective valve stems you have seen here are minor compared to the thousands of Montanas you see on the road.
As a dealer I would have tried to explain this to you but if you want to replce all your valve stems I will do just that and I will make money in the process in the new stems and the labor. Afterall that is what we are in business for, to make money.
Unless I happen upon a defective stem, I replace all valve stems when I purchase new tires not before.

Quote:
quote:Maybe now I will feel comfortable pulling camper and not expecting another bad stem on every trip. I had only put 531 miles on the camper prior to this trip and 6 months I have had it.
This maybe true but there is no guarantee you didn't get another bad stem.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:15 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Cyrus,

I agree with Glenn. We don't replace valve stems when we repair a flat, unless the stem is defective. We DO replace the stems when we install new tires, and yes we have had new stems leak. As Glenn said, defective valve stems are the exception, not the rule.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I understand what you are saying but I am one of those people who sees things as right or wrong not almost. My many years of experience in electronics and computers gave me a mind set that it either works right or you fixed it what ever it takes. People could be killed with wrong answers.

One valve stem ok, unit failure, two valve stems bad there is a problem in the manufacture process and not acceptable. Fix in my world is replace all and go from there since I no longer trust the other three. I don’t need this on my mind.

We are supposed to be enjoying these toys.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we are another one of those "minor execption" with the Valve stems as have many others on the forum. New higher quality valve stems..not a problem. I replaced them all on the advise of our Tire guy ..Who also hauls a boat and camper. My question is always very simple. What kind of Valve stems/ Tires. etc do you have on your equipment..I will take the same kind.. I also have the same mind set as Cyrus..In my previous life in Aviation Electronics...
Minor Execptions kill..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:28 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Cyrus: I'm with you -- had one stem leaking -- so I replaced all 4 with metal stems. Tire dealer was very adament that I could also have leaks with the new valves (nut could come loose; rubber seal could leak in time) etc., but it is a piece of mind thing; Plus it just bothered me that I could 'wiggle' the valve when I checked the air (that is actually what caused the first one to leak - I was a little off center and when I put the tire guage on it pushed the stem to one side and it literally popped out of the wheel ; I don't have that problem with the metal ones (at least should not have that problem unless I really screw up .

Glenn and Lonnie: Hear what you both say and had it not been for what occurred to me on my Mountaineer I'd probably still have the rubber stems in place. I, for one, really appreciate the great information you provide us here and hope You two keep up the great work.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Glenn and Lonnie: Do you recommend going to metal values when the tires are replaced or just staying with the rubber values?
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As a point of reference -- when I asked for metal valve stems the local Goodyear dealer's truck/trailer center first showed me rubber stems that had a brass core in them that went the length of the stem. They asked if that was what I meant by metal or if I wanted the ones with the nuts that tightened them in; I went with the all metal ones with the nuts even though the tire manager was very emphatic that they 'have semis rolling down the road using the rubber ones with the metal inserts.'.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
I have rarely had a tire stem problem with a new tire, wheel in my lifetime until I purchased this 2007 Montana 3000RK. Trying to get this rig home in one piece was a challenge as one valve stem would leak after 40 lbs of pressure and a second one would drop from 80 lbs to 50 lbs shortly after filling and yet a third stem leaked very slowly. Changing tires on the road at 5.00 am was not my idea of fun either. Oh, and did I mention that the owners of two separate large tire service center both stated that these original valve stems were of a very inferior quality and should never have been used on high pressure tires. It makes me wonder just how many Keystone owners out there have also had the same problem but did not bother to post on this forum.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Per an email (dated May 1) from Mike Spencer (in response to questions by Verle)regarding the Big Sky, "We have just made the valve stem changes to prevent the leaks. Thanks, Mike" Not sure if this is Keystone wide or just on the Big Sky, but they are obviously aware there is a problem. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
hawkeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #3663
Well I for one have replaced all the valve stems with metal ones becauce I had one blow out in a C.G. and one at wal-Mart parking lot. How lucky for me that I was not on the Hy. The metal part of the valve stem blew out of the rubber. This was a couple years back in 2005. Hawkeye
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings but once again I feel I have to tell it as it is....

For those that want everything defect free and perfect, all I have to say is "Dream on". As I stated previously everything that is man made, including electronics, computers and aircraft electronics, is subject to and will have defects PERIOD Some defects occur to one individual item while some occur in batches. Even the shuttle which cost millions upon millions of dollars using nothing but the BEST ENGINEERED, MOST EXPENSIVE, MOST INSPECTED AND RE-INSPECTED PARTS THAT MONEY CAN BUY gets defective parts on occasion. We all witnessed how something as small as an o-ring can be defective and cost not only millions of dollars but lives as well.
The world is far from perfect and so is most anything man made. So we all get new valve stems, big deal. What's to say they are not also defective after all they are also man made?
If you go through life worrying about every little part you won't have time enough to enjoy your toys. If I were to let something as trivial as a valve stem worry me than I would park the rig, truck included. "Why that doesn't make sense" you say. "Well it makes a ton of sense" I say. I could be much more concerned thinking about the all junk laying on the hiways we all travel. I know I can speak for Lonnie when I say "In all our years in the tire business we have repaired more flats due to nails, screws, scissors, wire, bungee cord hooks, sharp pieces of wood, and other assorted junk including a pair of needle nose pliers, etc found on the hiways than we ever did with defective valve stems".

Now if you really really feel this is a highway safety issue with human lives at stake, than I would strongly suggest contacting someone at the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). Explain your concerns and just maybe they would consider a total recall of these valve stems.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
Glen. I know that anything made is subject to failure at any given time and I do not WORRY about every little thing in life. On the other hand, even a brain surgeon ( now don't all you brain surgeons get upset ) would know that there is a valve stem problem after having three out of a possible five stems leaking air on a brand new rig. ( manufactured 04/12/2007) My main reason in posting on this forum is to alert other members of a potentially serious problem. I have no idea if these stems are a defective batch or this is a continuing problem with poor quality valve stems used by Keystone. I will say that based upon the response I get from Keystone I may contact NHTSA.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

This is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings but once again I feel I have to tell it as it is....

For those that want everything defect free and perfect, all I have to say is "Dream on". As I stated previously everything that is man made, including electronics, computers and aircraft electronics, is subject to and will have defects PERIOD Some defects occur to one individual item while some occur in batches. Even the shuttle which cost millions upon millions of dollars using nothing but the BEST ENGINEERED, MOST EXPENSIVE, MOST INSPECTED AND RE-INSPECTED PARTS THAT MONEY CAN BUY gets defective parts on occasion. We all witnessed how something as small as an o-ring can be defective and cost not only millions of dollars but lives as well.
The world is far from perfect and so is most anything man made. So we all get new valve stems, big deal. What's to say they are not also defective after all they are also man made?
If you go through life worrying about every little part you won't have time enough to enjoy your toys. If I were to let something as trivial as a valve stem worry me than I would park the rig, truck included. "Why that doesn't make sense" you say. "Well it makes a ton of sense" I say. I could be much more concerned thinking about the all junk laying on the hiways we all travel. I know I can speak for Lonnie when I say "In all our years in the tire business we have repaired more flats due to nails, screws, scissors, wire, bungee cord hooks, sharp pieces of wood, and other assorted junk including a pair of needle nose pliers, etc found on the hiways than we ever did with defective valve stems".

Now if you really really feel this is a highway safety issue with human lives at stake, than I would strongly suggest contacting someone at the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). Explain your concerns and just maybe they would consider a total recall of these valve stems.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
OK Glenn, I've got to ask. Are you on Keystone's payroll?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not at all!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #16
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
I think anyone who has read any of Glenn's postings on previous tire issues knows of his extensive work experience in the tire industry and that is where he is coming from, just trying to be helpful with his expertise. And we can all either take his advice into consideration or move along with what we feel comfortable with. I don't think anyone is trying to convert anyone to a particular perspective here. We all share what we have encountered & hope to help the next guy coming along. Just a thought folks. Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #17
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
The fact is you have to drive at your comfort level. I have had a stem blow out of a tire at highway speed and do much damage to my rig. I have also gone to air up a tire and had the stem come out in my hand...actually a couple of hours after the blow-out. When I fixed those problems turned out I had two more bad stems. That made four out of five on the 5er. It doesn't really matter what the statistics are, if you are it, you have the problem. If you have a bad stem, common sense says check the others.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
This is my last post on this subject. We all know that we get defective products. There are acceptable failure rates, and unacceptable failure rates. Buying a new vehicle with multiple bad valve stem failure is an unacceptable rate of failure in my opinion. This indicates a lack of quality control in the manufacturing process.

When I called Keystone about the issue, if they had responded in a manner of concern, and had offered to cover the expense of the new stems, I would have most likely thrown the old ones in the trash, and dropped the whole issue. They didn't and I'm not. I have multiple warranty issues that I would have repaired myself, but now they will repair them, or we will end up having a neutral party settle our differences.

BTW, I think the loss of the shuttle was human error, not material failure. The o-ring was not designed for the temperature it was used in.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #19
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Grant, the valve stems on my truck and on my trailer are brass with a molded on rubber grommet where they go through the wheel. These are snap-in high pressure valves rated to 100 psi cold. They are very dependable, and I am completely at ease useing them. The clamp-in high performance valves are the ones with the replaceable rubber grommets, a washer and nut to hold it all together, and are rated for 130 psi cold. These are probably the best, but I have seen them leak too, nuts work loose, rubber grommets crack,.....etc. The high pressure snap-in valve stems on my trailer, came on it, and I have had no problems. I took it on a short trip for Thanksgiving and it has been parked ever since. I checked the tire pressure yesterday, and found 2 with 80 psi, 1 with 73, and 1 with 70, satisfies me.

I still agree with Glenn on the bad stems being the exception not the rule, but I can also see the other side of the "coin", as I'm sure Glenn can too. Obviously, there is a problem with some of the stems being used on these wheels, and Keystone needs to be made aware of the problem. I'm sure they buy these stems in bulk, and probably from the lowest bidder. Being made aware of a problem may cause them to re-evaluate the supplier, I know it would me. JMO.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:03 AM   #20
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I feel good after our trip.

We got back from PA last night, around 700 miles and all tires holding pressure for the first time, truck also. With a $5.00 per tire investment for new stems, installed, it is the first time I am able to check the air and not have to turn the air pump on. This is not only a mental relief but also removed a physical pain in the "B", putting air in the tires.

I appreciate the members sharing their problems and comments on the site. I have learned much from reading your comments. Please keep up the good work.