Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
bikefever
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9158
Axle and Wheels

Sometimes when backing up especially when making tight turns I notice the rear wheel not lined up withn the front. It maynalso happen when turning and go forward as well. The tire may be turned inward and slanted. The side which I see this is on the left, on the drivers side. Have not looked to see if wthe rear right tires does the same thing. As I straighten out so does the tire.

Does not seem normal, but checking with the forum to see if there is a problem that needs attention. I always thought that both wheels should track the same.

bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
That happens on all multiple axel trailers. The tires get torqued when turns are made. The tighter the turn the greater the torque. It's not a good thing and I try to avoid it as much as possible. Turning on loose surfaces instead of paved ones allows the tires to slip a bit and reduces the stress also.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
It is normal during turns as Lee stated. I have been told not to leave them torqued after backing into a spot but rather to pull forward a good amount and back in as straight as possible to realign the wheels for extended parking.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
When I park mine at home it so tight I can't pull up and back so i jack my axels up to relieve the stress on the tires and axels then set it back on the ground.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
That is why trailers/fifth wheels should have ST vs LT tires...or so I read.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
When backing in tight turn or pulling forward in tight turn I always pull forward a few inches when backing to unload the side torque or back up to unload side torque in tight pull forward turn.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
X factor by MorRyde helps to significantly reduce the stress under those conditions...or so they advertise.
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
As others have stated, this is completely normal for multiple axle trailers. It's not good for the trailer, tires, or wheels, but it is unavoidable. The best thing you can do is try to minimize it as much as possible, and as others have said, pull forward to relieve the stress then back up in a straighter line.

Quote:
quote:By CamillaMichael

If the ST rated tires actually performed as they were designed I would agree with this. They don't and I don't.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This is the kind of stresses caused by fixed axles and there's no differential to help the tires travel the varying distances and to help keep the tires vertically oriented on a turn.

This is a common fact about trailer suspensions and like many have already mentioned, why you should drive forward or backward after you've turned and allow the tires to reorient themselves to the vertical. If you don't do this you are abusing not only your tires but the suspension of the trailer and its axles since it must now try and hold this stress.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Three X Factor braces by MorRyde are going on my trailer next month. 3580RL Big Sky.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

As others have stated, this is completely normal for multiple axle trailers. It's not good for the trailer, tires, or wheels, but it is unavoidable. The best thing you can do is try to minimize it as much as possible, and as others have said, pull forward to relieve the stress then back up in a straighter line.

Quote:

If the ST rated tires actually performed as they were designed I would agree with this. They don't and I don't.
Expected more "reaction" from the ST/LT comment...made more in jest, thinking a little humor is good and a lot of humor is better.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:

Expected more "reaction" from the ST/LT comment...made more in jest, thinking a little humor is good and a lot of humor is better.
Yes, a little humor is good and a lot of humor is better. I guess I just missed it. As to the "reaction", I guess I was in a "mellow" mood.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I don't agree with Art's comment that a differential would help. The torquing happens because the centre of rotation of the turn is between the front and back tires of the tandem, so the front tires are pulled inside and the back tires are pushed outside. Friction with the ground opposes the push and pull, so the wheels twist to balance the opposing forces - one in and the other out. As somebody noted, a surface with less friction lets the tires slip to reduce the twist. Moving forward and back does the same thing.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #14
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
This is a natural on tandem and tridem axled trucks when turning right or left. Those axles on trucks will move out or in as much as 3 to 4 inches when turning sharp especially with a load!! That's why they are equipped with heavy rubber bushings. Now trailers? The springs actually take the sideways torque and in extreme cases the shackle hangers will bend or tear from the frame. Factors are: tire air pressure, surface being turned on, tread design, and weight of trailer. If you park with this torque or twist present one would have to jack the trailer at the frame to alow the axles to find "home".
Yes the x-factor does help to take that stress off the shackle hangers!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 AM   #15
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
First time I noticed this was with our TT while passing through Texas...When we were at a gas station, I happened to look back at the street-side wheels and went into panic mode!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I was aware of the torque on the tires, but never realized how much till last year returning from a trip to the Outer Banks, stopped to fuel up and because of the setup, the Monty was still at an angle to the TV. After seeing how much torque was on those Marathon China-Bombs, I replaced them with the 614s shortly after getting home. Yes the 614 will torque, but nothing like those light weight Marathons.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
http://www.arizonarvpartscenter.com/...vice-s/294.htm
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree it's very normal.

Michael, I guess I was sharing Lonnie's mellow mood... I just looked at that comment and thought "here we go again and I'm staying out of it!"
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote