Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Eureka Campground, KY

Just spent the weekend at Eureka Campground, Grand Rivers, KY. This is a Corps of Engineers campground on Lake Barclay. It was nearly a disaster, but we’ll probably go back. I made on-line reservations for site 11. How can you go wrong… their reservation site lists 11 as a 90 foot pull through. Even my 3400 should fit. Only two things were left out of the site description; the 45 degree bend half way through the site, and the large oak tree on the edge of the site right on the inside edge of the bend. I have a small scuff mark to scrub off the middle of the bedroom slide, and a very red face as memories from site 11. I did have a recommendation for site 10 from Gene; but it was booked. We ended up is site 26 with a steep downhill back-in. Both 10 and 19 are strong candidates next time. The internal road (one-way) is paved, but narrow. 10 requires a right turn back in, but it ends up just a few feet from the shore with a great view for the Mountain View windows. 19 is a much easier turn to back in. Both will hold the big Montys. Water and 30 amp on the sites. Dump station has a tight turn out.

I’m looking for state park or state forest campground recommendations for the U.P. of MI in September.

Gordon

GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 05:52 PM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Gordon,

I always love it when you get a "pull through" with a bend in the middle which they put there to get around a tree. Then there will invariably be a tree opposite the bend which will prevent your cutting long to get around the tree in the bend. When this happens the "pull through" becomes a "back out". Hopefully, you get to stay a couple of days on the site so you can plan how to get yourself out of the mess! Thanks for the info on the campground.

Happy trails,
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the pointers guys. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:20 AM   #4
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by GordonR

Just spent the weekend at Eureka Campground, Grand Rivers, KY. This is a Corps of Engineers campground on Lake Barclay. It was nearly a disaster,
-----------------------------------------

Gordon,

If all the campground site and pad designers were laid end to end--that would probably be a good thing.

I swear their site design templates are based on 24 ft rigs.

As trailers get longer and taller some RV organization needs to get proactive on this or there will be no place left to park except WalMart and Flying J God bless them..

A tree in the way is a weed! Move it or replace it elsewhere.

I like trees. I've planted lots of them. Fertilized them. Watered them. And after about 10 years trim them like crazy as they try to take over the property.

Mutter ...mutter..grumble... bitch and moan..etc.

Got to go put some roof seal along the upper edge of the Montana. Met a tree I didn't like!

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:12 AM   #5
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Thanks for the replies. I feel a LITTLE better. One conversation I had while at Eureka was with the campground host. He did say that the Corps was a little paranoid about cutting anything with a trunk and a leaf. Random Line is correct. Most of the public CGs older and seem to be built for smaller units. (Which may have been the big units of their time.) However, we do like the woodsy sort of places; preferably with some utilities - but not necessarily. (Although it is necessary to hold the 3400RL now.) My experience so far is that I can't find a commercial campground that'll take my rig, give me the woodsy ambience, let me have a campfire, and be more than a couple feet from my neighbor. Admittedly, we're still weekenders - with a two week trip thrown in from time to time. Maybe my retirement job should be building a campground so I can get what I want. (However, that's a subject for another thread.) Have a great day!
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:56 AM   #6
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I guess I have to give a pat on the back for Oregon State Parks where they have been thinning out trees for the past few years and improving sites. At Harris Beach in Brookings, which overlooks the ocean, they have trimmed back enough trees so you have a view of the ocean from the campsite. It is hard to get anyone to take out trees in Oregon! Now if they will only update the electric, which at some sites is still 20 AMP.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote