Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #21
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Just a thought but if you have an airbag suspension would removing the blocks and putting in 2 inch ones be a big concern? If this is a factory fix, as discussed above, I presume the air suspension is able to adapt to the changed clearance. A good spring/suspension shop would be able to give some good advice.

RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #22
jksimons
Established Member

M.O.C. #9659
Send a message via AIM to jksimons
Thats a good idea..I'll have to call and ask.
jksimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jksimons

I told that option to my husband, and he was not at all comfortable changing the blocks out on the truck. My gooseneck horse trailer is alot of wieght, enough that we need to be adding airbags. The truck is a 2006. This is getting kinda frustrating. Hubby is considering trading his truck in for a different one, but with Arnolds increase in DMV fees and taxes..need I say more. We just want to get on the road and enjoy the trailer!
Those blocks have absolutely nothing to do with suspension nor how much weight the truck can handle. They are merely spacers to increase the height of the rig. The larger ones on the 4x4 are to give it more ground clearance for items above the axle. On the trucks I noted, the 4x2 came with 2" spacers, the 4x4 with 4" spacers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RCN.Stoker

Just a thought but if you have an airbag suspension would removing the blocks and putting in 2 inch ones be a big concern? If this is a factory fix, as discussed above, I presume the air suspension is able to adapt to the changed clearance. A good spring/suspension shop would be able to give some good advice.
Good question. It was the Ford factory that made the change from 4 to 2" when requested. The dealers did the actual swap. Ford then changed to the smaller spacers for later years. The airbags should have plenty of "squash" room and it wouldn't be a problem. If it were, then you'd have the same problem each time you hit a bump that caused them to compress more than they are at a stop. I had Firestone airbags on my last Ford (2005 model) 4x4 and the truck had the shorter blocks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here is the text of the latest Ford technical service bulletin (that I know of) concerning the problem.

07-7-2 REAR OF VEHICLE IS TOO HIGH/LOW - 5TH WHEEL AND GOOSE NECK APPLICATIONS - 4X4 VEHICLES ONLY

Publication Date: March 26, 2007

FORD: 2005-2008 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2008 F-Super Duty vehicles my exhibit a clearance concern when using the vehicle to tow some goose neck and 5th wheel trailer applications.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to change the rear ride height.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Rear ride height may be reduced or increased by:

Lower - vehicles that have the 4" (10 cm) spacer block by installing a new 2" (5 cm) spacer block along with the other rear suspension hardware
Raise - vehicles that are perceived as riding too low (no spacer block installed) by installing a new 2" (5 cm) spacer block along with other rear suspension hardware

LOWER VEHICLES WITH 4" (10 cm) SPACER IN PLACE

Raise vehicle on hoist and support rear axle.
Remove rear axle U-bolts and nuts.
Lower rear axle and remove 4X4 rear axle spacer blocks.
Place new spacer blocks (Figure 1) on axle and raise axle to bottom of springs, seating springs in axle seat.
Install new rear axle U-bolts and nuts (Figure 1). Torque nuts to 185 ± 28 lb-ft (250 ± 38 N-m).
Remove rear axle shock absorber bolts and nuts, and remove rear shock absorbers.
CAUTION: DO NOT OVER TORQUE SHOCK ATTACHING FASTENERS.

Install new rear shock absorbers (refer to Figure 4 and 5 for correct application). Torque both upper and lower shock nuts to 62.5 ± 9.5 N-m (46 ± 7 lb-ft).
NOTE: FAILURE TO UPDATE THE CENTER BEARING BRACKET (FIGURE 2 AND 3), IF REQUIRED, MAY RESULT IN DRIVELINE SHUDDER.

If necessary, install new center bearing and/or shim (refer to Figure 2 and 3 for correct application) assembly as required.
For checking driveline angles, refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 205-00.
Adjust headlamp aim by referring to the WSM, Section 417-01.

RAISE VEHICLES WITHOUT 4" (10 CM) SPACER

Raise vehicle on hoist and support rear axle.
Remove rear axle U-bolts and nuts.
Place new spacer blocks (Figure 1) on axle and raise axle to bottom of springs, seating springs in axle seat.
Install new rear axle U-bolts and nuts (Figure 1). Torque nuts to185 ± 28 lb-ft (250 ± 38 N-m).
Remove rear axle shock absorber bolts and nuts, and remove rear shock absorbers.
CAUTION: DO NOT OVER TORQUE SHOCK ATTACHING FASTENERS.

Install new rear shock absorbers (refer to Figure 4 and 5 for correct application). Torque both upper and lower shock nuts to 62.5 ± 9.5 N-m (46 ± 7 lb-ft).
Replace rear axle brake jounce hose assembly with new assembly, refer to the WSM, Section 206-00.
If vehicle is equipped with a rear suspension stabilizer bar, replace rear stabilizer bar links with new stabilizer bar links. Torque stabilizer link nuts to 70 ± 15 N-m (52 ± 11 lb-ft).
Bleed rear brake system by referring to the WSM, Section 206-00.
NOTE: FAILURE TO UPDATE THE CENTER BEARING BRACKET (FIGURE 2 AND 3), IF REQUIRED, MAY RESULT IN DRIVELINE SHUDDER.

If necessary, install new center bearing and/or shim (refer to Figure 2 and 3 for correct application) assembly as required.
For checking driveline angles, refer to WSM, Section 205-00.
Adjust headlamp aim by referring to the WSM, Section 417-01.
NOTE: RIDE HEIGHT ISSUES RELATED TO A CUSTOMER'S TRAILER ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #26
jksimons
Established Member

M.O.C. #9659
Send a message via AIM to jksimons
I spent some time discussing this with my hubby while doing the dishes and he thinks that the rear of my truck does sit higher then the front. He was going to look more closely at it tomorrow. I think if it does have the four inch blocks and we will change them out to two and add air bags (which would be awesome with towing my horse trailer). I'm just ready to go camping! We are going to buy the B&W Companion hitch to two the fiver with and this will be simpler for even me to interchange. I will know a bit more where we are at clearance wise once we get the companion hitch. Thanks again for all your help everyone, I love this place!
jksimons is offline   Reply With Quote