Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Is Propane Regulator broke ?

Several weeks ago I ran out of propane in one bottle. I flip the regulator Bottle switch to the other bottle and removed the bottle to take home so I would not forget it. System worked fine with bottle removed. (trailer is parked at deer lease)

This past weekend at the lease I turned gas on when we arrived. I had not replaced newly filled propane bottle. PROPANE immediately began to release from the danggling unused propane hose that connects to the removed bottle. The direction switch was still pointing at the good (and only attached)propane bottle. I tried turning the switch back and forth to see if the leaking source would stop. It never would. Once I replaced the newly filled bottle the leak stopped.

Is regulator broke ?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:30 AM   #2
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
yes
We had this problem and you might try turning off the empty tank before you remove it. Then switch over the switch. Then remove the empty tank. Check it. If the valve is hanging up, you will be able to hear a slight hissing coming from the open hose and/or smell propane.

We replaced ours once from a propane dealer (not RV place). It still hangs up on occasion and sometimes if we leave the empty tank connected and open, it fills up to level with the full tanks.

We found the best way is to run with only one tanks open at a time.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
G,

I would agree with Radhazjoe. Sounds like the regulator changeover valve is sticking. You wouldn't believe how much oil residue passes through there from un-pure LP, which I think can cause problems. A new regulator assembly can be purchased through Marshall Gas (#250) for about $38, or Camping World carries a different brand (not sure of cost).

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote