Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
Weak slideout floor

Just received our new 3400RL last month but just noticed that the floor of the curbside slide sags when I stand on it. The amount of deflection is enough to cause the table to tilt. It feels like I'm walking on a trampoline. A campground neighbor with a 3675RL didn't have this problem. Has anyone else had this problem and what was done to correct it?

hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Erwin, this is a problem with some new 2007's. How 'bout another visit to the Service Center?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Montana_6380

M.O.C. #6380
Erwin, I was your neighbor at Four Paws Kingdom with the 3475RL. I've been searching the forum for any instances of broken
slideout wiring retainers. The tech at Keystone says there isn't a problem with the retainer and since I'm out of
warranty I need to buy one from the dealer. Bummer!!
I joined this forum today and I like what I've seen so far.

Chuck Snyder, Denise and Ashe(the Dobe)
Montana_6380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snydercj1

Erwin, I was your neighbor at Four Paws Kingdom with the 3475RL. I've been searching the forum for any instances of broken
slideout wiring retainers. The tech at Keystone says there isn't a problem with the retainer and since I'm out of
warranty I need to buy one from the dealer. Bummer!!
I joined this forum today and I like what I've seen so far.

Chuck Snyder, Denise and Ashe(the Dobe)
Chuck, Welcome to the MOC Family.

Follow the link below to an easy remedy for your problem
http://www.geocities.com/montanaowne...reSupport.html
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hamcamper

Just received our new 3400RL last month but just noticed that the floor of the curbside slide sags when I stand on it. The amount of deflection is enough to cause the table to tilt. It feels like I'm walking on a trampoline. A campground neighbor with a 3675RL didn't have this problem. Has anyone else had this problem and what was done to correct it?
Erwin, sriegle just went through this in his new 3400RL at the Keystone service center. I am sure he will be along shortly or you can look up his PM and send him a message.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 AM   #6
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
Thanks all for the responses. Keystone is sending me to a dealer near me to get an overlay(?) installed. I'm not sure I like that idea as I would rather Keystone did the work. After all, it was their mistake. Besides, the dealer hasn't returned my call yet and I've called twice. I hate messaging systems. I'll be sending Steve an email right after I close this. I wonder how many others have this problem and I really want to know if it is a result of Keystone cutting corners.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Just had 2 braces break this past weekend. I showed my husband the repairs I would like him to make. We used duct tape for the ride home.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 AM   #8
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I visited the dealer Keystone sent me to in Spartanberg, SC and that was an eye opener. There was only one person there and no full time service facility. Yes Montanas are sold there but I guess from the stock the business isn't flourishing. I'm calling Keystone again today. I have had great service from the service center in Goshen in the past and I'm going to push for a Keystone repair there instead of a dealer attempt. By the way, wswebster, where are these braces you had trouble with?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
hello hamcamper i had the same trouble with my 06,2955. my dealer did a overlay. i was not satisfied with this because they could not get the floor level again. after a few calls to the service center they told me to bring it their. after they looked at it they put me in a new floor. they have the dealers do the overlay because they have to take the slide all the way out and turn it up side down to put in a new floor. and most dealers don't have the equipment to do this. and daryll and george are great people to work with at the service center. hope this help's
haslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Erwin, the braces are probably the wiring looms under the slides. The wiring is routed through them. They tend to break at the folding point. The usual fix on the forum is to install hinges. I think the link Glenn provided, above, shows hinges. I'm going to try to get mine done before they break.

Erwin, despite the new floor there is too much flex in the floor of our main slide. Same thing you have, things on the table move. Or spill. The service center replaced the floor because some of the plywood was not properly laminated. They did a nice job but the floor they're using now is not as thick as in prior years and I suspect that's the problem. I think we can live with it but it still bugs me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Wow! I can't believe their making the floors thinner. Mine is thin enough and I have an oldy. I am just finishing up repairs on my main slide and will probably post pixs when I am done. Ive re-enforced the board floor at the outer edges on each side. Much better than it was before.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Is the slide in or is it out when you are having this problem? The reason I am asking is that my floor is sagged when in, which is scuffing the laminate. When the slide is out, I am not experiencing any problems.

Al
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine is when the slides are out. It's not really a big deal; it just annoys me since I think it should be more solid feeling.

Tom, I wish I had your skills. And equipment.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Thanks Steve, but I don't think I have a lot of skills for this type work. I just do it because I can't really afford to let someone do it for me. I have some final pixs to take on my latest repair of the main slide then I will post them. Everyting that happen to me is preventable, if I had known. Now that they are using thinner flooring it will be more important than ever to protect it.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #15
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
Mine is also when the slide is out and I think it is a big deal for now. If I had been at a dealer looking for a 5th wheel trailer and I had stepped in one with a sagging floor I wouldn't even think of buying it. I think Montana made a big mistake because no one wants to have a sagging floor. It smacks of poor quality in design and construction. Mind you, we really love our new 3400RL except for that specific problem. Our camp side neighbor of last week and our neighbor of today both have Montanas and their slideout floors don't sag. Why should mine. Sorry guys, excuse my venting. In any event, Montana has me scheduled on Dec 11th for the fix. I hope they realize their mistake and re-design the floor so that I can't feel any difference going from the main floor to the slideout floor. Also, for their image's sake I hope they have returned to the old method on all future Montanas.