Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #21
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
If the Galley Tank valve is left open, after hookup, will it drain into the second gray water tank until they are both full or are they completly independent?

Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #22
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
On ours, if hooked up to sewer, we always leave the galley tank valve open. It drains into sewer, not into the gray water tank. We tested this recently unwittingly when unhooking. Ed had drained black and gray and close those valves. I was doing some last minute clean up in kitchen and ran the water. He came in and said there is clear water running out of the connection. Then he remembered the galley valve and when we shut it, it stopped.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sweetfire, the water between the two tanks will seek the same level. Since both tanks are about the same heighth above the ground, they'll pretty much fill equally. You know how when your gray shower tank gets full it backs up into the shower? On our 3295RK when we have the tanks in "share mode" it first backs up into the kitchen sink. I guess that's the lowest point.

When in share mode we actually get more capacity than the sum of the two tanks (38 each or 76 total) because we also have water in the dump pipes.

Like everyone else, we had the surprise at the dump cap because of a low point in the dump pipe from the galley tank. That's the main reason we added the second valve.

Good luck. I think this is a very worthwhile addition, although that is just my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:18 AM   #24
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We also added the extra valve and like Steve R we keep the extra valve closed while the Gray and Galley valves are left open. This way we more than double our tank storing capacity. We can than dump the gray and galley by opening just the extra valve. While set up, the only time we close the gray and galley valves are when we are dumping the black tank. Once the black tank has been dumped and is thoroughly flushed we close the black tank valve and open just the galley valve. When the galley is empty we leave the galley valve open and open the gray valve and dump. When the gray is dumped we close just the extra valve and leave the gray and galley valves open.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #25
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Yea! I found it. On ours it’s at the rear of the living room slide out.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Parrothead, your galley drains into the black tank? Yours doesn't have a galley gray tank with separate dump valve?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #27
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve
Guess I didn't make myself very clear. No it doesn't drain in the black tank. What I was trying to say when the galley valve is open it drains right to the sewer hose and out. The example I mentioned was when Ed had closed both the gray and black valves, I was running water in the kitchen and it was draining out the outlet (he hadn't put the cap on yet) because he had forgotten about closing the galley valve. He thought we had a leak in one of the tanks. I don't know whether our galley would overflow to the other gray tank or not because it has never been full.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #28
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The three tanks empty into the one waste discharge line. Each of them have their own gate valve (the ones you have seen). When the valve(s) are open, the tanks drain into the main waste discharge line. And, alas, that can be the source of "surprizes". Leaking gate valves may be a problem also. The third source of surprizes may be the afore mentioned incomplete dumping issue. In all three cases, the terminal gate valve on the end of the discharge line can save the day.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote