Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
jscox24

M.O.C. #10475
RV satellite dish

My husband and I have our Mountaineer at a permanent site. We want to buy the monthly satellite because we have no TV reception. Does anyone have any ideas or tips for the best system to buy?
We've been to Camping World and have seen some of the systems. The portable manual dish ($199) by Winegard seems so light and flimsy and we don't know how difficult it is to set up. There is an automatic system also by Winegard that is approximately $699 that finds the satellites automatically. Of course the other dishes are approx. $1200. We don't have satellite at home. Does anyone have any suggestions on what works best? We have about $1000 to spend. Thanks for any information given!

jscox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have the Winegaurd portable carry out. It works with Dish and Direct but is not HD. Sets up simple and we are very happy with it. Finds it's own signal. We did the portable thing without the automatic and it was the most frustrating thing we ever dealt with. Almost impossible to get set up. Takes patience and time. Ours had a dent in the side before we trashed it from the hundred times frustration got to the high. LOL!! We did however have someone try to steal the Winegaurd Carryout and it was changed and locked to the hitch. So after that we bought the ladder mount $200.00 and mounted it on it which keeps it very safe. We found our's on the net for a cheaper price than Camping World so you if you go that route search the net first. Probably nothing is better than the sat. system that is permanet on top of the camper but those are well over $1000. which is why we went with the Auto Winegaurd Carryout. Someone had one for sale so you may want to search the for sale section and see if it is sold. Good Luck. Definitely go with an automatic which ever you decide you will not be sorry.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If it is on a permanent site, why not contact your local Dish or Directv provider and see about having them install a pole mounted fixed satellite receiver. It will require a two year contract, but I would not think it would cost anything. Hopefully some others with permanent sites will chime in as to what works best for them.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just bought a Wineguard carryout from fellow Mocker and very nice gentleman, millerwm. It works great, after your initial setup which is paint by the number, plug in a 12 volt line and a coax wait 5 minutes watch TV. It is just that easy. There is another, the Tailgater that I know about. Dish network and Tailgater teamed up, so you can only get Dish programing. The cost on it with a 211 HD receiver is about $500. It is also automatic just like the Wineguard, I think. You can check it out at any Dish network dealer.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
jscox24

M.O.C. #10475
Thank you all for the quick replies! My husband and I thought the manual dish would be flimsy and difficult to set up. I will definitely check into the automatic dishes mentioned. Thanks so much! We are from WV and love our Montana Mountaineer. I just started reading the forums and have found some great ideas and tips. Thanks everyone!
jscox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I hadn't noticed the WV roots, never been to New Manchester, but have been as far north as Wellsburg. That is where I got all of our dock parts and boat lift from. A hearty Mountaineer welcome to a Mountaineer owner, that really seems to be a fitting combination!!
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #7
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
I have Direct TV with a manual dish on a tripod. I like Direct TV and am very happy with my dish. I do want to get an automatic one when I get caught up on some things. Most parks I know of know someone that will set your dish up for you for a fee.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I had the manual dish on a tripod. Used it all over the country. Pretty simple after a few set ups.
But being at the same site, I like the idea of calling Direct tv to come and install it. My dish stayed put in some very stiff winds, rain, and gusts. I was very pleased with it. And the cost of it was included in the two year agreement.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
For a permanent site, spending all that extra money for an automatic system seems a waste. I have the "Flimsy" on a tripod, and have never had an issue. Have had the same dish now for a good 8 years, although I did have to replace the transponder. If you want HD, agree with above that easiest way is to let DS or Dish come in and set up for you. I can only speak for DirectTV, but setup for nonHD is easy; I can usually do in five minutes or less once I have plugged in the zip and have correct elevation/azimuth. Have not been successful with HD.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If the Mountaineer isn't going anywhere, here's another idea that won't cost anywhere near $1000.

I bought a flimsy tripod (didn't think it was that flimsy until I used it once or twice, then it was confirmed as flimsy). Instead of spending $100 on something more solid and ending up with a spare tripod, or spending hundreds of dollars for an automatic system (which doesn't support HD) I built a platform of 3/4" exterior plywood, with levelers (5/8" long carriage bolts and use nuts to raise and lower against the wood). I aim this platform north and level it, then drop the tripod into it. I have two parallel pieces of plywood with the top piece has three holes in proper orientation so the tripod matches the north orientation of the platform. NOW, it's very solid and very close to exact orientation and level. This requires only slight adjustments to the dish on the tripod because the platform did 90% of the aiming and leveling. The wood and hardware cost about $25 and with the $45 tripod, it's one of the cheapest and most solid solutions out there. The platform is so low and heavy enough that no other straps, weights or stakes are needed (and ugly enough, no one would steal it).

While this is not automatic, it is way cheaper and since I don't reorient the dish very often, I find this would not justify the cost of an automatic. Plus, I'm pretty good at orienting that thing. Keep in mind this is a very cheap solution and others may make higher investments for greater convenience. Please consider this a very poor man's (or tightwad) solution.

In your case, you might invest in a more solid tripod that has aiming and leveling built in. I've seen these for about $100 to $125 and again, not even close to the $1,000 you've budgeted.

As for satellite service, I've heard that Dish Network or DirecTV have what I'll call "pay as you use it". Apparently they have satellite subscriptions that allow trailer owners to turn it off (and not pay) for when you are not needing the satellite service, and being able to turn it on (and pay for it) when you do want it. I don't do this because I use satellite at home, then drag the receivers along with us when we're using the trailer.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
You dont even need to mess with the tripod for more permanent setups. Here in Florida, I get the same site each year for the winter, and so I anchored a steel conduit pipe in the ground which I attach my dish to once I pull in. Dont even mess with a tripod.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Wineguard and Tailgater automatic domes do support HD with a Dish network 211 receiver.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I have a permanent lot I pay for yr around. Just called Dish and had them do an install. Already had the account with them so no extension of 2 yr contract. Now thats when we are there, but when we are on the road traveling our Winegaurd Traveler works great mounted on top of the trailer. Of course if your in the trees then you are out of luck unless you are me. I then go to the Winegaurd Carryout I can place anywhere!!!

Am I addicted to TV???????????? LOL

Dave

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote