Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Vent Covers

Here is another one. The shades do a nice job of darkening in the daytime but this is diminished by the sun vents in the camper. Do darker ones exist ? I figured if I wanted the daylight I could open the vents to allow for the sunlight. Any thoughts ?

Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
http://maxxair.com/ is the MaxxAir home page.

They can be purchased at almost any RV shop, or Camping World.

You can get the dark colored ones to help alleviate the brightness. Plus, having them will allow you to keep your vents open, despite lousy weather.

You'll see covers for the Fan-Tastic-equipped vents as well. "Fan/Mates."

You should be able to camp out in Alaska, during Summer Solstice, then!

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:35 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Camping World also sells "pillow" inserts for the vents. These will black out any vent, and in the winter they help keep heat in. Use during the summer will help keep the heat out.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=26552&src=TSC
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
We just use those inserts that Dave mentioned, when stored, and then put the one in the bedroom at night. We have the covers and really like them as well but we didn't put one on the Fantastic Fan, I've been told that Fantastic recommends you NOT use a cover.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
Come on! Step into your wild side and cover your Fanstastic fan... I did! LOL I have 2 of the vent pillows, since I now have the 2nd a/c I am not sure what to do with the 2nd one? Guess I will throw it on the storage racks inside the closet with the rest of the I dont know what to do with it, but I WILL NOT get rid of it stuff. =)
Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

Actually I was going to order the Fantastic Vent cover from MaxxAir but then I read on here that Fantastic recommended not using one so I didn't. Besides, I like that cool feature when it closes if it rains, and I couldn't have done my ooooh ahhhh thing like I was watching fireworks if it was covered and it rained!

I wish I could figure a good way to cover the skylight over the shower, both for storage and at night (read morning when my wife likes to sleep in). I don't like the option of using one of those covers and velcro, I just hate sticking that on my new trailer, or an old one.

mac
Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I just got a chunk of that shinny insulation stuff. Cut it to the size of the shower skylight.Stuck velcro on the edges and stick it up there when needed.Works just fine..Did it on our previous TT and it lasted for 10 years...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Rich,

I just didn't want that ugly velcro tape on the skylight, but I also don't want the sun damage either, I guess I should trade one for the other.

mac
Old 06-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Mac,

Perhaps if you don't actually stick the Velcro tape on the edges of the vent, but do cut a snug piece of silverized insulation, with the fuzzy Velcro surface on the edges of the insulation, only, it'd hold up by itself in the vent.

With some tension, and as long as it holds up there while you're asleep, or standing still and simply wanting protection from all the rays, it wouldn't be a big deal if it was to fall out during transit. Being that light material, anyway, it's not like it'd dent anything it might land on if it did fall.

Aside from that, I resent your calling Velcro "ugly." I happen to still have some chest hair. (Unlike a growing area of my head.) And it sorta looks like Velcro. (If you cross your eyes and squint, anyway.) And while it may no longer be in style, what with some men waxing their chests these days, I recall a while back when it was considered handsome, and rather manly. So let's lighten up on good ol' Velcro. 'Kay?

Steve

P.S.

I'm already prepared to respond to the next thread on this matter, and discuss how to remove an overly snug piece of silverized, Velcro-lined insulation from vents so as to allow some light into a Monty.

S.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I painted my skylight black, problem solved.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240

Old 06-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Check with any of your local rv dealerships or Camping World. I have seen 6 or 7 screens for the sky lights in rv's. You just have to shop around until you find the right size.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:04 AM   #13
Montana_5964
Established Member

M.O.C. #5964
Solution to no velcro - Cut a piece of cardboard so it fits snug in the skylight. Get the Gorilla glue out and glue the bubble wrap foil to the cardboard. Cut little whole in cardboard so you can remove it while traveling.
Montana_5964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:20 AM   #14
Yazoo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4650
We had a cover on our Fantactic fan and because the vent cover could not open all the way it greatly reduced the volume of air it would move. we use black pieces of dense foam that are used in packing electronic equipment. They are longer then the opening so you have to bend them to stick them up in the vent opening, keeps the light out but because it is bowed it also allows for some air to come through.
Yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote