Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #81
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That company is called Grand Design and they make a 5th called the Solitude my friend Just bought one at the Tacoma Rv show, he was going to guy a Montana like mine but after lookin at this one he bought it, I gotta admit for the same options and price I paid his is nicer outside and in ....DANG IT'S NICE!.....I'm Jealous

Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #82
triumphess
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13202
Our dealer just got one of those Grand Designs in -- I was just looking at the photos, and it sure looks nice. We need to go up there next Friday for a warranty fix (loose sides on tub/shower) I am going to have to check it out!
triumphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #83
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It looks like Grand designs has taken over the former Coachman plant in Middleberry that has been standing empty for 3 or 4 years. Yes Former Montana, Keystone folks formed it.. IF they take that one extra step and implement a effective quality control plan that will improve on those workmanship issues they will be ahead of the industry and may force other manufactiurers to do the same...

CORRECTION..It is the former 4 seasons plant.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #84
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I would be very reluctant to buy from a startup company that may not be around next week and has few dealers for warranty work. Yes, I know,big companies have folded too but you have a better chance with them.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #85
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I would be very reluctant to buy from a startup company that may not be around next week and has few dealers for warranty work. Yes, I know,big companies have folded too but you have a better chance with them.
I would agree with that but these guys are not rookies.Lazy Daze is a dealer.IMO these guys have the opportunity to change the industry and it needs changing.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #86
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I will be interested in the Quality of my friends Grand designs, he takes delivery Monday and we will go on a Maiden Voyage next week ,that was one thing I would be worried about is being a "GUINEA PIG" for a 56k rig
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #87
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Your evaluation would be a great help.These rigs use pretty much the same vendors and materials. It is how the RV is put together by the workmen and the quality of their workmanship that makes the difference.We may be in Goshen in May and if so will take a tour of the plant.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #88
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
If you do go on a tour Rich give tell us what ya think I am sure my friend would be interested in that also ,I was with him when he bought it but I do not think he really asked the right questions about how it was made he just liked the way it looked and the salesmen did not state very much info on them either,I did notice they had CRAP tires that I never heard of
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #89
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We really do not have a large warranty issue that IMO requires the service center. If we have the time and they will accept us we will go over.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #90
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We just had our Norcold 4 door fridge go out again... One year and two months ago we had to replace the cooling unit which is 80% of the refrigerator. Our extended warranty covered all but the $500 deductible and the food we lost over a holiday season.. Now the cooling system is shot again.. Norcold said that if it was one year and one day over the installation, it is out of warranty... Thankfully our extended warranty company has more compassion and they will drop the deductible for this new unit.. How does Norcold get by with this... Almost every one we know with the Norcold no matter what kind of RV they have, have had problems, 5th wheels as well as motorhomes.. This time we had just filled the freezer with shrimp, salmon, ground beef, pork chops and chicken.. Also froze the strawberries from the strawberry festival that only comes around once a year. I almost cried when we had to throw this out...If we get to Elkhart this year
we will have the cooling unit replaced with the Amish one..

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #91
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Replace it with a Dometic
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #92
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
The Dometic vs. Norcold debate............like many other debates. Which is right.
I had a motorhome with a Norcold and it performed flawlessly for the six years I had it. Kept frig in the mid 30's easily. My next RV was a fifth wheel with a Dometic and it also worked very well; however, the next fifth wheel also had a Dometic and it struggles to keep frig at 40 and seldom ever goes below that. At times it will even creep up into the upper 40's. None of them ever broke down. I will taking delivery on an new 3455SA next week with a Norcold. Hopefully it will perform a well as the first Norcold I had.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #93
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Its not only the workmanship but the crappy products they use to assemble these RVs. Furniture that unravels after 3 years of light use, the beds that sag from breakdown, water pumps that are inferioer, crappy tires, TVs that fail, and yes poor workmanship when assembling. For what we pay we are not getting our monies worth.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #94
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

Its not only the workmanship but the crappy products they use to assemble these RVs. Furniture that unravels after 3 years of light use, the beds that sag from breakdown, water pumps that are inferioer, crappy tires, TVs that fail, and yes poor workmanship when assembling. For what we pay we are not getting our monies worth.
I think I just bit my tongue.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #95
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Phewww, I may be jinxing myself, but I am glad I got one of the few "good" ones out there. The only problems we have had is a loose wiring connection on the water heater, and a broken door knob to the bathroom. The dealer fixed the wiring problem, and I replaced the doorknobs which I had planned on doing anyway. If I do have problems, I am not fortunate enough to be able to visit the service center, so either I will repair or dealer can on the extended service plan. I feel sorry for those with units that do not seem to be as good as the one that we are blessed with.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #96
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Bingo, I'm in your camp and hope I don't jinx us either. Bad fireplace remote control(handled by dealer) and a piece of trim 1" long fell off. Loose pin in toilet fixed with a dab of silicone. Must have got one of the good ones. If I had the problems some of the people are reporting, I would say to heck with "bang for the buck" and trade for a unit I felt was better constructed, but evidently, they are still selling every one they build, so this must not be the case. My local dealer can't keep the Montana HC's on the lot, and he has sold a bunch of them. They must be doing something right. But I can say that the new 3900FB has been sitting up front for about 2 months and hasn't moved. Don't know if its the cost or the floor plan(we like it, but not all of it), but the other Montanas are still moving.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #97
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I have a list of 31 problems so far for warranty repair. Most are small items but I do have an axle miss alignment, moride suspention, and front frame flex issues. More issues come up every few days. Should be an excelent trailer once all the issues are taken care of. We still love our Montana but it sounds like we got a lemon....
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 AM   #98
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Nor cold failed after @ 10 months. Our Domentic failed after 7 years.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #99
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975

X2 on that Robbie.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:

I think I just bit my tongue.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #100
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Quote:

Just what year do you think they started going so bad? My '05 has been trouble free so far. Still have the oem tires on it. But I plan on changing them out this year.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote