Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
150amp fuse and cutoff switches

Hey folks

Couple questions on fuses and cutoff switches

There is a black square 150amp fuse (?) between battery and a cutoff switch in battery compartment. Is that a fuse and what does it protect? I have residential fridge and thought it might be for inverter?

There is a keyed cutoff switch in the water hookup compartment. What does that control?

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If it's a 50amp resetable breaker it's for the hydraulic pump motor and probably should be replaced with an 80. I have no idea what a 150 would do. The battery disconnect in the convenience center cuts off a lot of things from the battery but not all. Things like propane detectors etc will still be powered and so your battery will die soon if you rely on that to disconnect it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If it's a 50amp resetable breaker it's for the hydraulic pump motor and probably should be replaced with an 80. I have no idea what a 150 would do. The battery disconnect in the convenience center cuts off a lot of things from the battery but not all. Things like propane detectors etc will still be powered and so your battery will die soon if you rely on that to disconnect it.
Electric jacks and slides so no hydraulic pump
Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The 150 fuse up front is protection for the inverter feeding the residential refer. The keyed switch in the convenience center disconnects some (not all) of the 12V to the RV.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
The 150 fuse up front is protection for the inverter feeding the residential refer. The keyed switch in the convenience center disconnects some (not all) of the 12V to the RV.
Thanks Carl, That's kinda what I thought since the Inverter was an add on for the residential and takes a lot of power.

On a related note, the batteries drew down to the point that AC thermostats would not operate a month or so ago. I traced the issue down to the converter or at least so I thought. I replaced the converter (which tested no voltage). Everything seemed well for a couple weeks but the issue cropped up on me again this week! The batteries will drain down on us over a day or two use. Any thoughts?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Thanks Carl, That's kinda what I thought since the Inverter was an add on for the residential and takes a lot of power.

On a related note, the batteries drew down to the point that AC thermostats would not operate a month or so ago. I traced the issue down to the converter or at least so I thought. I replaced the converter (which tested no voltage). Everything seemed well for a couple weeks but the issue cropped up on me again this week! The batteries will drain down on us over a day or two use. Any thoughts?
Hi, I’m not Carl, but I do know that the converter will only run for a day or two, MAYBE 3 (assuming multiple batteries) with a residential refer unless you’re hooked to shore power. If you’re on shore power I would expect the converter to bypass to supply 125V AC.

Mark
Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Assuming your batteries are dying while plugged into shore power. Cause would be converter dying or the battery cutoff switch in the convenience center is switched to off state indicated by its key being able to come out of that switch. Batteries dying while boondock in would be normal for residential fridge, converter running, and other high power usage devices.