Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Sharonrae

M.O.C. #23152
Electrical water heater switch

I have a 2001 Montana with suburban water heater and I have had to replace the switch about a dozen times in the last 6 months. The switch keeps burning it's self out and every time I run my a.c. during the summer months I have to turn the switch off on the inside panel cause it trips the inside breaker power every time. The switch gets stuck on the on position. The wires on the switch side are frayed and I have put electrical tape around the wires for a temporary fix. Is there a way to replace the wires for the water heater switch.

My heating element when I test it reads 0.264v a few days ago when I tested it after I drained the tank and cleaned out the anorod and rested the element it read 1.236v put anorod rod back filled tank and then turned everything back one had hot water for about 3 days and now no hot water again as of yesterday morning. What could be causing me to loose hot water every few days. This is getting frustrating.

Sharonrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It’s possible that you have a bad electrode and it’s shorting out. If you are checking voltage across the two terminals at the exposed electrode connections and are getting anything else but 120 volts more or less, then you may have an open circuit on the junction box on the side of the water heater, usually only accessible by pulling the water heater out. You may need help with this, like a mobile RV tech. You may have a failed connection in the junction box which could be causing the breaker to trip.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don’t know how you are checking the voltage. But I agree with Bob, you should measure 120 vac across the screws on the heating element with power on. Or something in the range of 10-12 ohms resistance with power off and wires disconnected. Have you ever changed the heating element?

Bad heating element or a short could be causing the burned switch and tripping breaker. Bad wiring connections at the switch can also cause heating there.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
Just my two cents, the element is 17 years old. For what they cost just replace the element and see if your problem goes away
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote