Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2005, 05:18 AM   #1
bigrockbruce
Established Member

M.O.C. #4292
New 3295RK problems finally fixed!

Hello again! It has been awhile since we last left messages because after purchasing our 3295RK in August 2005 we are have been narrowing down a list of problems that we discovered during our 1st outing.
Our Monty has been in the dealer’s service department for a month and here are the results:
•After reading so many positive comments about the toppers we had them installed on all 3 slides and they work beautifully. After a very cold damp morning it was nice to move the slides in without having the water and dampness inside the rig.
•They replaced our QR2000 DVD/CD system with a new QR3000. Gone is the humming in the speakers and now we have real surround sound for our movies and CDs. The remote is easier to read and work. Yeah!!
•Our shower door handle had deep scratches in it so they replaced the whole door. Someone should have caught this before it left the factory.
•The vinyl in the kitchen was fixed because it had been installed over a protruding screw head.
•The handrail at the outside entrance door would never fold and fit down properly in bracket channel. The round stopper was too large. They replaced this stopper with a thick flat 2” square piece of rubber. Now the hand rail can be snapped down in the bracket like it was designed when we are traveling down the road. The problem is poor placement of the handrail. Because of the awning bracket the factory location is too far away from the door. They need a better design for locating the handrail for this 3295RK rig.
•We were roasting of too much heat coming up in the bedroom register so they tried to cut it down by installing baffles but that problem still isn’t solved. In order to turn the heat up enough to make it comfortable in the living area there is just too much heat (about 75%) going to the bedroom.
(I am posting a separate question on this one….”Too much heat in the bedroom”

One last addition I’d like to mention. We didn’t feel the standard bed was very comfortable so I purchased a 3” memory foam. (best price & quality I found was on Ebay) What an awesome comfy difference! Our bed is called a King but it measures 72 W X 77 L so the closest bedding that fits is the California King sets. (72W X 84 L) I use the elastic garter like hooks from corner to corner to tighten up the fitted bottom.
Although we were very disappointed that most of our problems were not addressed under Keystone’s quality control center before we picked up our new RV from the dealer we are pleased with our service rep and the dealer’s service department.

bigrockbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Glad to hear that all has worked out well.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Bruce & Linda

So glad you got all your fixes-fixed.hopefully you won`t be back to visit your dealer for any more problems.i wish you guys the best of luck with your rig.

John & Steph
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I sometimes wonder if they actually look over each vehicle that gets run down the line or just choose one randomly and check that one, then let the rest go. Same goes with vehicles from the big three automakers. My king ranch was back at the dealer twice within the first two weeks geting things fixed that were installed backwords or not tightned enough to keep things from falling apart.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:53 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ron..They look each camper over at the end of the line..saw it in operation on the Montana line and the Sprinter line.You would have to be there to see what that consist of and when you saw it you would understand why these things come off the line the way they do...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:13 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I find it interisting that YOU -- WE pay for dealer prep and shipping of your trailer to your dealer ( they realy drag it across the U.S. to California by a contract driver ) who might I mention, knows how well he took precautions from driving over or around pot holes ect. ect.
I place most of the blame on the dealer as far as the little things that should have been fixed at the prep, prior to accepting the new trailer. the other thing is they always have you look at the unit after the papers are all signed sealed and delivered. it should happen before the trailer is signed off. that way if they have to fix the trailers problems first it should be quicker because no payments are being made because the finnal papers are still on hold. I made 1.5 payments on my 2980RL before I even got to take it home. because of the waiting for aproval form Keystone or the no brainer that ordered the wrong parts, and had to do it all over again.

I through purging.

TT2
Old 11-16-2005, 03:24 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

I find it interesting that YOU -- WE pay for dealer prep and shipping of your trailer to your dealer ( they relay drag it across the U.S. to California by a contract driver ) who might I mention, knows how well he took precautions from driving over or around pot holes ect. ect.
I place most of the blame on the dealer as far as the little things that should have been fixed at the prep, prior to accepting the new trailer. the other thing is they always have you look at the unit after the papers are all signed sealed and delivered. it should happen before the trailer is signed off. that way if they have to fix the trailers problems first it should be quicker because no payments are being made because the final papers are still on hold. I made 1.5 payments on my 2980RL before I even got to take it home. because of the waiting for approval form Keystone or the no brainer that ordered the wrong parts, and had to do it all over again.

I through purging.

TT2
That is a lesson learned..The paper's are NOT signed until the customer is completely satisfied with the unit.

I will have a credit union draft made out for the amount and UNSIGNED.It will get signed when we are satisfied..it has worked before..You would be surprised at what the dealer will do or say (in writing) to get you to sign that 40K check.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:43 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
bigrockbruce, I am so very glad to hear that your dealer is working with you on these problems. Too often you hear of the dealer that after he has your money adopts the "don't call us we'll call you" attitude.

I would never sign the final papers until I was completely satisfied with any repairs, adjustments ,etc and there is no way a dealer could force me to sign prior to my approval.

True quality control is slowly becoming a thing of the past and that's not just at Keystone but everywhere. Within the RV links pages there is one section listing "RV Forums", while finding these links I also stopped and read a number of these forums. You would be surprised how often I would come upon a thread where someone was complaining about the problems they have discovered in their new coaches. Even to the point that they are thinking "lemon law". But this isn't just in the RV industry it is in most every industry. How many of you bought a new home and found zero problems? How about a new car or truck or a new toaster?
Today the byword is "QUANTITY" not quality. The more they can get out the more money they make. Taking the time to thoroughly inspect every single unit is very TIME consuming and TIME is money.
There's an old saying "Let The Buyer Beware". That warning applies to everyone and everything and not just in the RV industry. What we as the "Buyers" need to do is reverse that to "Let The Seller Beware." Let your dealers know beforehand that you will be doing a complete and thorough PDI (PreDelivery Inspection) BEFORE finalizing any deal. If the final repairs are minor in nature and are going to take awhile and you don't want to wait have the dealer "put in writing" that the repairs will be made and a firm date as to completion.
Hey, it's YOUR MONEY and you do have your rights.
Here are 3 different PDI's for that new buyer....
http://users3.ev1.net/~crossstitch/PDI/pdi.html
http://www.bitware.com/5er/PDI.htm
http://www.fifthwheelliving.com/PDI.pdf
BTW - IF the dealer balks at you doing your own PDI than maybe it's time to look for another dealer.

ON edit---One last thing, Let the dealer know at the time of the sale that you will be doing your own PDI. Don't spring it on him the morning you are scheduled to take delivery. You could even give him a copy of the PDI so he knows exactly what you will be looking for. This way he can have his techs do the same PDI and make the necessary corrections prior to your arrival thus making your inspection a bit easier and less time consuming.
This would also be a test of the dealer. If he had the PDI beforehand and you still found numerous problems he's sending you a message and again maybe it's time to find another dealer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:08 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bruce and Linda, I'm glad to hear you have a good dealer and those things are getting fixed.

I read with interest about your handrail. Ours has never properly locked in place. As you mentioned, poor placement. Ours rubbed a bit of finish off the edge of the slide. Our dealer's fix was to put a rubber bumper where it rubs. It works but is not very pretty and not a really good solution. But it's been that way so long I forgot about it until reading your post.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
When we purchased out Montana from Mike Thompsons RV. you did not have the right to change your mind, the sale was final even if it was ordered like ours was, and had to wait for it to be made then transported from the manufacture. I could find that paper work and read it out to you all but it's at the RV Storage Lot all this was prior to the final signing.

TT2
Old 11-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #11
frosty
Established Member

M.O.C. #568
Had 03-3295 RK with a lot of hitch problems...Glad to say that Keystone did a wonderful job of the repaires. Then had a big lump in the middle of the living room.Got in touch with Jef Rank of Keystone,set a date to repair at the factory..Did a wonderful job ,and very nice people.While we were there went to Hart city,and the rally,..At Hart city saw a 3400RL,Got a good deal and came home with a 06-3400. Will be taking it to Florida for the winter.will try it out.. We have a new Montata dealer in our area,Pocono R v They did some warrenty work on our rig -great job....May see you at the Tampa R V show........
Happy Camping Frosty
frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations on the new 3400, Frosty!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Frosty - good to hear from you. Good luck with the new 3400!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote