Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2024, 10:43 AM   #1
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
In Command went wacky

Last night my Exterior lights would not come on. Then I found interior lights would not come on and I couldn't adjust furnace temp. (It would change temp and then in second go back to my previous setting)
Didn't take me too long to realize that any light that was on its own switch or plug (110 or 12V) worked fine, but of its only accessed via the In Command controller it wouldn't work. (Funny the bedroom slide did still work??)
I figured out how to turn off the In Command(on/off switch I never used before). Turned it back on, basically resetting it and all works fine.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts?

Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:30 AM   #2
High5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33861
Yes, I've had a few trailers with In-Command now and have had issues where the User Interface stops responding, fails to show temperature and other odd, non-responsive behaviors. I haven't had to hard reset in the 5th wheel we're in now, but in the last one, I had to disconnect from shore power and use the reset button in the basement a couple of times. That stopped after I updated the system.

I know a lot of people have complaints about the In-Command system, but if you think about it like just another computer system and restart it periodically, it's pretty decent. Just like an Android phone, tablet, laptop or any other OS/device, there's memory, disk and processor utilization and software controlling the functions. Longer uptimes can lead to the software utilizing more hardware resources and ultimately errors/faults/conflicts, so restarting periodically will keep it running more smoothly. If you can connect your In-Command to a wifi network, you may find OTA updates available.

We're full timers, so I generally restart In-Command once a month and always have it connected to our network to pick up any new updates. Before we were full time, I always powered it off at the end of the trip so it wouldn't draw on the battery and would get a clean startup on the next trip. I would also connect it to my home wifi or mobile hotspot once or twice per season to see if any updates were available.
High5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:29 PM   #3
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks--That is exactly type of info I was fishing for.

Last year, I had no Wi-Fi so never messed with that. Saw Wi-Fi last night in the settings and that got me to thinking and you confirmed.

This year, I now have a Starlink; just connected it and almost immediately asked me about downloading an update.

Though I never powered if off, I manually disconnect batteries when I store, so it was off for a year (Jan 23-Jan 24).

Next steps:
1-Look at connecting to my phone--I bet I couldn't last year with no consistent Wi-Fi. I'll pull out instructions and play with that later today. (Bluetooth and a APP???)
2- Find the reset button in the basement you speak of.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:39 PM   #4
High5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33861
Happy to help. You should be able to connect your phone with Bluetooth, and if you have Starlink running all the time (full timer?) you can create a Global Connect account from the app, sign in from the settings menu and access the basic features when you're away from your trailer. We full time, so use it quite a bit when we go away for the weekend and want to turn the heat back up or turn on the awning light when returning home when it's dark.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:46 PM   #5
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Just what I was thinking.

Part Timer--SnowBirder.
4 months last winter
Only 2 months this winter
Planning 3-4 months next winter
Old 03-05-2024, 04:17 PM   #6
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Never found the instructions, but got my phone all hooked up.
I can't locate a reset button in the basement.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:57 PM   #7
High5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33861
Things will have to get really bad before you use the hard reset button in the basement, but if you need to use it, it's behind the In-Command cover, should be towards the center of the board, and will be a small anonymous looking button like the one pictured in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240305_155017.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	16603  
Old 03-05-2024, 06:48 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I have the Pro Plus on my unit. My crown mold LED lighting was flickering blinking flickering - then it would come on. I found the relay on the board (pictured in post #7 above) associated with interior lights - unplugged the relay and swapped it out with another (all those relays are the same model). It fixed my flicker problem.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote