Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2022, 06:18 PM   #1
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
Slide Cable Broke

Had an unpleasant surprise when setting up today when a slide cable broke. Have been trying to contact a mobile repair, with no success yet. If no success with a mobile guy, what are the thoughts about bringing the slide in and continuing our trip? The slide seems to move OK.
We talked to our dealer back home and they said not to let the frayed end slide back through the seal when we pull the slide in as it will make the replacement process more difficult. I asked about removing the other end of the cable from the bracket on the inside, since that would be the only way to keep it from pulling through the seal, and they said not to since the motors would not be balanced. It's a broken cable, so the motor is already out of balance.
For background, it's a 2019 MHC 321 MK. It's the kitchen slide on the curb side of the trailer, and it's the upper cable that pulls the slide back in. Thanks for your thoughts.

BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:20 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've experienced 3 broken cables since we purchased our Montana, and as I'm writing this, I now have a 4th one broken. And we are 550 miles from home.

You can move the slides in and out with no negative effect on anything. BUT! Have one person push the button on the inside of the camper to retract, and have someone on the outside applying some pressure, pushing the slide back in on the broken cable side, and you'll have no problems.

When extracting again, there won't be any issues. Do this when retracting until you can get it serviced.

If your cable is frayed and in a spaghetti bowl condition, and that spaghetti bowl is at any of the pully's or at any of the holes in the walls, then pull the cable out, regardless of what the service shop said. That tangled wire will cause a bigger problem if you don't get it out of the way.

When installing a new cable, "they" like to attach the new cable to the old cable and then they can pull the old cable out, pulling the new cable in. Otherwise, they have to fish the new wire through the wall, over the pulleys and align the cable up. It does take more effort, yes. BUT, you need to do what's best for your camper NOW so nothing gets damaged further.

After taking mine to the shop on 3 broken cables, I've decided to replace this 4th one myself now. I know the broken cable slide will work just fine with some extra "push' from the outside, so I'm not worried about completing our current trip (we are 3 weeks from home and 1 more campground away). I ordered the replacement cable, the cutting tool, and the crimper off Amazon and they were delivered at home yesterday, waiting for me. If I would have used my head, I probably could have had Amazon deliver it to the campground I'm at and I could have had it fixed already (probably). Delivery was over night. I was surprised how fast it went. But, I'll now wait till I get home.

The first cable that broke sent horror shock waves through me. I called my local dealership back home and they told me the exact same thing they told you, with the advise to help push the slide back in from the outside so the remaining 3 cables would have as much stress. But I freaked out, scared out of my mind. But the remainder of that trip was successful with no more issues. I just followed their advise.

The second break was not so traumatic. I was really mad it happened, but I didn't stress.

The third break, was the same cable as the first time. I was really dismayed, and disappointed. But not stress, just a ... oh crap! again! Why this cable? attitude.

Now the 4th one is, Oh well. I suppose it's time for them to all start popping now! This one, I'm doing myself! Order the parts, and if it's successful, I'll order a couple extra cable kits and keep them in the camper with the cutter and crimper. And hope I never, ever, have to use them.

Hope all this helps! Good luck.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
Seaulayter

M.O.C. #30127
Do the new 2022 High Country's slide outs use cables or is there a different mechanism?
2019 GMC 3500 SRW
Seaulayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #4
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Do what DutchmenSport said and move on.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
Thanks for your inputs. I removed the nut from the end of the cable so it wouldn't pull back through when closing today and it worked fine. I have an appointment set up when we get back. I was hoping it could be a fix it while I wait thing, but it doesn't seem RV service departments are wired that way.
BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I've got a kitchen cable with 1 strand about to break. I have a replacement cable and a swaging tool to help replace. I bought a second repair cable, so I'll still have a spare after I replace to about to fray cable next week.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #7
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
We went from a 2020 294RL to a 2022 295RL mainly because of the cable problems were having. Three snapped. Like others, the first one freaked me out but by #3 I had three replacement cables with me, tools, and changed it at a SP in Idaho outside Yellowstone. Then another started fraying...bad alignment between the pully and where the cable meets the slide. When pulling in it ends at a severe upward angle adding a lot of pressure. Saw the 2022 at a show and no cable slides! Made an offer on the spot and got a good price for the trade in...
Old 04-13-2022, 03:48 PM   #8
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARICE13 View Post
Do the new 2022 High Country's slide outs use cables or is there a different mechanism?
Don't know your model, but our 2022 has the rack and pinion slides back aft and the Schwintek slide for the bedroom.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #9
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Don't know your model, but our 2022 has the rack and pinion slides back aft and the Schwintek slide for the bedroom.
Ours too…295RL
Old 04-13-2022, 04:13 PM   #10
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
Had to replace a cable on our 2011 FL. After inspecting the broken cable, it appears that the cable was severed where it passes through the frame when in closed position. This lead me to conclude, up and down movement from hitting bumps in the road, caused the cable to be cut. I replaced the cable without a problem. But thinking back on the issue I'm wondering if making the whole larger (drilling) would prevent this from reoccurring?
Old 04-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #11
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2itcliff View Post
Had to replace a cable on our 2011 FL. After inspecting the broken cable, it appears that the cable was severed where it passes through the frame when in closed position. This lead me to conclude, up and down movement from hitting bumps in the road, caused the cable to be cut. I replaced the cable without a problem. But thinking back on the issue I'm wondering if making the whole larger (drilling) would prevent this from reoccurring?
That should help. I had to grind one of mine down and file it clean but still found the pulley-to-bracket angle to be problematic
Old 04-13-2022, 04:36 PM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I've experienced 3 broken cables since we purchased our Montana, and as I'm writing this, I now have a 4th one broken. And we are 550 miles from home.

You can move the slides in and out with no negative effect on anything. BUT! Have one person push the button on the inside of the camper to retract, and have someone on the outside applying some pressure, pushing the slide back in on the broken cable side, and you'll have no problems.

When extracting again, there won't be any issues. Do this when retracting until you can get it serviced.

If your cable is frayed and in a spaghetti bowl condition, and that spaghetti bowl is at any of the pully's or at any of the holes in the walls, then pull the cable out, regardless of what the service shop said. That tangled wire will cause a bigger problem if you don't get it out of the way.

When installing a new cable, "they" like to attach the new cable to the old cable and then they can pull the old cable out, pulling the new cable in. Otherwise, they have to fish the new wire through the wall, over the pulleys and align the cable up. It does take more effort, yes. BUT, you need to do what's best for your camper NOW so nothing gets damaged further.

After taking mine to the shop on 3 broken cables, I've decided to replace this 4th one myself now. I know the broken cable slide will work just fine with some extra "push' from the outside, so I'm not worried about completing our current trip (we are 3 weeks from home and 1 more campground away). I ordered the replacement cable, the cutting tool, and the crimper off Amazon and they were delivered at home yesterday, waiting for me. If I would have used my head, I probably could have had Amazon deliver it to the campground I'm at and I could have had it fixed already (probably). Delivery was over night. I was surprised how fast it went. But, I'll now wait till I get home.

The first cable that broke sent horror shock waves through me. I called my local dealership back home and they told me the exact same thing they told you, with the advise to help push the slide back in from the outside so the remaining 3 cables would have as much stress. But I freaked out, scared out of my mind. But the remainder of that trip was successful with no more issues. I just followed their advise.

The second break was not so traumatic. I was really mad it happened, but I didn't stress.

The third break, was the same cable as the first time. I was really dismayed, and disappointed. But not stress, just a ... oh crap! again! Why this cable? attitude.

Now the 4th one is, Oh well. I suppose it's time for them to all start popping now! This one, I'm doing myself! Order the parts, and if it's successful, I'll order a couple extra cable kits and keep them in the camper with the cutter and crimper. And hope I never, ever, have to use them.

Hope all this helps! Good luck.
Dutchman sport, check the alignment of your cables going into and out of your 5er slides, especially just before the slide makes contact with the slide seals. If they are not level, and rub or kink, your cable will crimp and cause your cables to fray over time and eventually break. The angle can be adjusted by moving the brackets the cable mounts to on your slide out outside wall. Its often hard to see unless you look for it. I had to adjust one of mine after having a couple cables break. Now after 3 years my cables still look like new. After watching multiple U-tube videos I was able to replace the last one myself. It helps to have an extra set of hands but you can definitely do it yourself. I check my cables every time I set up just in case. They fray over time so you can catch it early if you inspect them frequently. I also carry a spare cable and tools just in case. Fortunately haven’t had to use them. Happy camping!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:56 PM   #13
Tess

M.O.C. #21804
Dutchman Sport would you please send the cable kit part number or the Amazon link for the cable kit? Thank you for all of your input to this forum, you always have the best and most helpful answers!
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:50 PM   #14
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
So it is ok to travel with a broken slide cable?
Should you do anything to hold the slide in?
I have a broken slide cable (table side of our 331RL, 2019 High Country)
kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:58 PM   #15
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Dutchman Sport would you please send the cable kit part number or the Amazon link for the cable kit? Thank you for all of your input to this forum, you always have the best and most helpful answers!
Sorry I did not get back to this thread sooner.

The BAL model # is 22305 Cable Repair Kit off Amazon.

I also ordered the crimper (it reminds me of a large bolt cutter), and a pair of cable-wire cutters.

Here's a link to the Amazon site: Click here. The site will have the crimper and the wire cutter at the bottom, under that section ... frequently bought together. I think my total amount for all 3 was around $100. I'm order a couple more cable kits and keeping them in the camper along with the crimper and wire cutter.

kjohn6363,
I have driven several hundred miles now (3 times) with a broken slide cable without having to do anything to secure the slide. Remember, there are 4 cables to pull the slide "in" and hold it in, and there are 4 cables to pull the slide "out" and hold it out. Once the slide is "in" the 3 remaing cables will hold it in place just fine as you travel.

Mikelff,
All 3 times, my cables have broken on the outside, where that round catch at the end of the cable attaches to the L-bracket on the slide. It almost appears they are not crimped tight enough and simply give way ... unless, when in the closed position, they are being bound upward or downward, causing wear, right at that spot. I'm not sure, but definately will check.

FYI, I'm fixing them tomorrow (Saturday 4-30-2022). We made it back home form North Carolina and weather turned yuckie in Indiana. No desire to fix the cable in this cold damp weather. But, tomorrow I'm doing it, regardless of weather.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:38 PM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
OK, as a follow up, I installed the new slide cable, replacing the broken one. At the campground, I pulled the broken cable completely out so it would not tangle in the existing cables and pully system. I do now understand why RV repair shops want you to leave the broken cables in place. They are a challenge to feed through everything. But, even with that, the broken mess needed to be removed.

Long story short, the cable was successfully replaced. Although there was a learning curve, but in theory, it really was very easy. The difficulty was threading the cable through the pully's and getting them inside the pully track and under the little metal part to keep them from slipping off the pully.

Mine was broken, (standing in front of the slide on the inside of the camper) ... bottom left. It was the driver's side front living room slide. The problem was, there is the love seat, recliner chairs right there, facing the front window and television, and a long time ago, I drilled holes through the floor and anchored these seats to the floor with bolts that can only be accessed by removing the wall in the bottom storage bay area, as the seats are bolted behind that wall. I did not want to remove the chairs to get the access to the pully, so this was the most difficult challenge.

Starting from the outside, I was able to feed the cable (bottom outside), through the hole and it went inside only a couple inches and stopped. Going inside, I had to bend back the plastic cover over the cables running up and down the inside of the slide wall, but I could not remove it (the cover). I had to wedge some lumber in there to hold the plastic open so I could work. Space was terribly tight and no matter how hard I tried, I could not feed the cable into the upward position.

After several attempts, I ended up using the original cable. I cut the end to make a clean cut and remove the frayed wires. I was then able to use that end and push through that spacer... downward, instead of upward. Once it was through, I was able to connect the new and the old cable with that cloth/rubber gizmo for taping both cables together. Viola! I was able to pull the cable through. Although the tape is used was almost too thick, I was still able to get it through.

After that first pully, the rest were real easy. I did end up removing the crown on the slide so I could gain access easier, and that was a wise thing to do. The rest was easy-peasy.

After everything was done, I re-installed the crown. However, I did not staple the crown back on, I took it to my wood shop and built a long hook (out of lumber), and not it simply catches over the top of the inside slide like a picture hanger. In the future, if I need to remove it, it just lifts right off.

So, the operation was a success. As I mentioned above, in theory, these cables are very easy fix. The challenge is fishing the cable through that one pully you don't have good access to.

Here's some shots of my cables. In the photos below, I had not attached the very end yet, you can see it still dangling.

The end not broken:

Tools of the trade ... The Crimper and the Cable Cutter ....plus not in the photo, a Robertson headed screw drive, a hammer, and a pair of needle nose plyers ... and my wife who helped hold the wire on the outside of the camper and push and pull the thing when I needed.

Total time for the cable replacement fix ... about 2 hours. And then another hour to rebuild the header on the inside of the slide.
Old 04-30-2022, 07:04 PM   #17
Tess

M.O.C. #21804
Dutchman, thank you so much for the information. I'm definitely ordering those things. My husband is a great fixer I'm hoping ours hold out a few more trips.
I'm glad you got yours fixed and the way you attached the crown is a good idea!
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #18
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
OK, as a follow up, I installed the new slide cable, replacing the broken one. At the campground, I pulled the broken cable completely out so it would not tangle in the existing cables and pully system. I do now understand why RV repair shops want you to leave the broken cables in place. They are a challenge to feed through everything. But, even with that, the broken mess needed to be removed.

Long story short, the cable was successfully replaced. Although there was a learning curve, but in theory, it really was very easy. The difficulty was threading the cable through the pully's and getting them inside the pully track and under the little metal part to keep them from slipping off the pully.

Mine was broken, (standing in front of the slide on the inside of the camper) ... bottom left. It was the driver's side front living room slide. The problem was, there is the love seat, recliner chairs right there, facing the front window and television, and a long time ago, I drilled holes through the floor and anchored these seats to the floor with bolts that can only be accessed by removing the wall in the bottom storage bay area, as the seats are bolted behind that wall. I did not want to remove the chairs to get the access to the pully, so this was the most difficult challenge.

Starting from the outside, I was able to feed the cable (bottom outside), through the hole and it went inside only a couple inches and stopped. Going inside, I had to bend back the plastic cover over the cables running up and down the inside of the slide wall, but I could not remove it (the cover). I had to wedge some lumber in there to hold the plastic open so I could work. Space was terribly tight and no matter how hard I tried, I could not feed the cable into the upward position.

After several attempts, I ended up using the original cable. I cut the end to make a clean cut and remove the frayed wires. I was then able to use that end and push through that spacer... downward, instead of upward. Once it was through, I was able to connect the new and the old cable with that cloth/rubber gizmo for taping both cables together. Viola! I was able to pull the cable through. Although the tape is used was almost too thick, I was still able to get it through.

After that first pully, the rest were real easy. I did end up removing the crown on the slide so I could gain access easier, and that was a wise thing to do. The rest was easy-peasy.

After everything was done, I re-installed the crown. However, I did not staple the crown back on, I took it to my wood shop and built a long hook (out of lumber), and not it simply catches over the top of the inside slide like a picture hanger. In the future, if I need to remove it, it just lifts right off.

So, the operation was a success. As I mentioned above, in theory, these cables are very easy fix. The challenge is fishing the cable through that one pully you don't have good access to.

Here's some shots of my cables. In the photos below, I had not attached the very end yet, you can see it still dangling.

The end not broken:

Tools of the trade ... The Crimper and the Cable Cutter ....plus not in the photo, a Robertson headed screw drive, a hammer, and a pair of needle nose plyers ... and my wife who helped hold the wire on the outside of the camper and push and pull the thing when I needed.

Total time for the cable replacement fix ... about 2 hours. And then another hour to rebuild the header on the inside of the slide.
Dutchman, you need to anchor that top trim piece to your slide. If not, it WILL bounce off and crash to the floor. Just letting it hang on there like a picture frame I don’t think will work. Ask me how I know! Mine was originally stapled on. After my cable replacement I used nails with a nail gun. It will be a chore to remove it again but at least it wont get bounced loose. See if you can find a way to anchor that piece securely. Its amazing how much your 5er bounces around going down the road. I did a video once using my gopro inside my 5er just to see what it was like and they bounce quite a bit depending on road conditions. Yes, check to make sure your cables are straight and level , not rubbing on anything, just the last couple inches when the slide is fully retracted or extended. That’s typically where the binding takes place. Now that you have done it once, and have the tools, if there is a next time it will be a lot easier. Always keep a spare replacement cable kit in your RV. Thanks for pics! Happy trails.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #19
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
Thank you so much for the info and pics.
I am going to try and do this myself.
Thanks again
Old 05-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #20
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
Thanks for all the info and pics