Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
HWY 160 Durango to I 25

Early planning on trip this fall to Colorado. First to Durango and then over to Colorado Springs. Looks like Hwy 160 to I25 and then north. Is that OK pulling a 38' 5th wheel. Is there a better way?

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Depends on your comfort level towing in the mountains. But 160 is like an RV pipeline across southern Colorado. East of Pagosa Springs is Wolf Creek pass. It is a long steep climb to the top. But good highway and two lanes going up so you can stay in the right lane and take your time without holding up traffic. And several pull offs if you need to cool down. Going down the east side is not as steep, but be sure to mind the speed limit thru the snow shed. A sharp turn as you go thru. From there it is pretty easy drive across San Luis valley until you reach La Veta pass between Ft Garland and Walsenburg. La Veta pass is not as high as Wolf Creek. Easy climb traveling east bound, a little steep going down.

If you are averse to high passes you can go south at Pagosa Springs and make a southerly loop back up to Alamosa and bypass Wolf Creek pass. But quite a few miles longer.

And you can avoid La Veta pass by going north from either Monte Vista or Alamosa to Poncha Springs and then US50 to I-25 at Pueblo.

Curious how you are getting to Durango in the first place.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
We summer in the Durango area and have taken that route the past 3 years, no problem. Take it easy on the down grades and enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery ever. Spent a night in La Veta two years ago, quaint little place. Headed that way in late September.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Depends on your comfort level towing in the mountains. But 160 is like an RV pipeline across southern Colorado. East of Pagosa Springs is Wolf Creek pass. It is a long steep climb to the top. But good highway and two lanes going up so you can stay in the right lane and take your time without holding up traffic. And several pull offs if you need to cool down. Going down the east side is not as steep, but be sure to mind the speed limit thru the snow shed. A sharp turn as you go thru. From there it is pretty easy drive across San Luis valley until you reach La Veta pass between Ft Garland and Walsenburg. La Veta pass is not as high as Wolf Creek. Easy climb traveling east bound, a little steep going down.

If you are averse to high passes you can go south at Pagosa Springs and make a southerly loop back up to Alamosa and bypass Wolf Creek pass. But quite a few miles longer.

And you can avoid La Veta pass by going north from either Monte Vista or Alamosa to Poncha Springs and then US50 to I-25 at Pueblo.

Curious how you are getting to Durango in the first place.
Thanks to you and pineranch for the replies.
From Tuscaloosa, AL up to I40. West to Albuquerque then north on 84 and 160.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 08-16-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Unless you plan to visit Santa Fe and Chama, 550 is the best route from Abq to Durango.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:43 AM   #6
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Unless you plan to visit Santa Fe and Chama, 550 is the best route from Abq to Durango.
Mike
Thanks for that information. Will take your advice.
My main concern is not me making it, it's my truck. On long hard pulls it tends to get hot. In West Virginia I actually had SES light to come on for over heating. I think I have a fan clutch problem as my fan doesn't lock up until it's too late. I think I will replace fan clutch before I leave. Truck had this problem from day one before any dirt got in radiator stack.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 08-16-2015, 05:43 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As I mentioned above, there are several pull offs going up Wolf Creek pass long enough for your Monte. And two lanes all the way up so you can take it as slow as you want. And the air temp will likely be around 70 degrees starting up and 60 or lower by the time you reach the top. Two years ago in early August we were in a heavy sleet for a while on top of Wolf Creek pass! But not cold enough to stick to roadways.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I am psomers' DW and I would like some info on campground in Durango. This may not be the place to post but I'm sure some of you responding will know. Thanks for all the help.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Carole - I would recommend you start a new post. Look under HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL and there are two forums there about campgrounds. Start a new thread there as some will probably pass over this thread since it has already been discussed a bit.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Hi PSOMERS. In that area in May. See my reply dated tonite in Campgrounds State, Fed.and Prov.--Topic- Campgrounds Advice out west. Mesa Verde NP near Durango is great and a nice cg across the road.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Thanks BB TX, I did repost in another place.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote