Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
CarolD
Established Member

M.O.C. #22008
Chicago, IL to Bangor Maine

Planning our first big trip with our rig and we really need some help with a route that will help us keep our sanity.

We should be okay until Syracuse NY but from there on we are lost and I am coming here for all the wisdom you guys can give us on roads that are great and ones to stay away from!

I am planning to get an RV GPS to help but really need words of wisdom!

CarolD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Garvinsd
Established Member

M.O.C. #21544
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Planning our first big trip with our rig and we really need some help with a route that will help us keep our sanity.

We should be okay until Syracuse NY but from there on we are lost and I am coming here for all the wisdom you guys can give us on roads that are great and ones to stay away from!

I am planning to get an RV GPS to help but really need words of wisdom!
I live in NH and am from Maine so I can help you a bit. I would get off I-90 as soon as possible, just drove it a few weeks ago and it was not pleasant. The problem with I-90 is if you are going to Bangor, ME you will be almost forced to take I-290 and I-494 to get to I-95 (in Mass). Both of these roads are truly horrible - like a bad washboard. I would get off I-90 north of Albany and take Rt 202 to Concord, NH and then I-93 to Manchester, NH and then Rt 101 to I-95 in southern NH. Rt 202 and 101 are not bad depending on when you transit. Once you get on I-95 it is smooth sailing to Bangor. Word of caution is don't get caught on I-95 (south of York, ME) going north on any Friday from about 1200 noon on - traffic nightmare. Traffic gets a lot less congested north of the York toll both. Good luck on your trip - beautiful area.
2019 Chevy 3500HD High Country DRW
Garvinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
CarolD
Established Member

M.O.C. #22008
Really appreciate this information I will make it my route!
CarolD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
couple of things. one, get a great map book from walmart...good routes. second, you don't need a 'rv' gps, any one that you like will do.

another way is to go from detorit or port huron and go acrossed canada and see their great sites.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote