Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Rubber roof that has been cool sealed. Now what do

The title was supposed to be.
Rubber roof that has been cool sealed. Now what do I do?
I guess it got cut off.

I have a 2004 Monty.

A previous owner put some sort of coating on the roof. I'm guessing it's cool seal.

This coating is getting a bit old, and is covered with millions of tiny cracks all over it. Not sure if they are just surface cracks or go all the way through. Looks basically like a dry lake bed.

Since cool seal is not an normal thing to put on a rubber roof, I'm wondering what I need to do?

Any advice from more knowledgeable minds?

cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We've got a 2004 also with tiny cracks in the rubber roof. I've talked to the previous owner and they said they never did anything to the roof except let it set in a field in Oklahoma 12 months out of the year. They never used it much so it sat in one spot most of it's early life. When we were cleaning the roof, before the solar panels, we couldn't believe the amount of white dandruff that came off the roof. I even called an RV guy to come look at it. He said what we were seeing is normal as rubber roofs age.

Unless you are sure someone applied something up there, the best advice I was given was to just clean it regularly with a non- petroleum or non-citrus cleaner, although I would like to find some product to put up there to keep from having to clean it so often.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Thanks Alwims,

Love those solar panels!

On second look, I'm not absolutely sure the entire roof has been painted with Cool Seal. Something was definable painted around the edge of the roof, from where it begins to turn downwards to the rain gutter. I can see brush marks.

Going to give it a good cleaning. Most places seem to recommend Dawn dish washing liquid. Should have a better idea after that.

It doesn't seem to be chalking like people say a rubber roof normally does.

cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Dawn is all we use or should I say I use as my wife won't get up there with me. She says if one of us has to fall because there is soap everywhere it shouldn't be her since she is the breadwinner. She's such a thoughtful wife.
EDIT; I just reread your last sentence, It most likely is chalking so be prepared to wash the sides when you wash the top. My guess is your sides will almost be white from chalk off your roof.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I am aware of products designed for use with rubber roofs, and with the rubber sealants I am aware of, once applied, only option is to clean, and then repaint.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I used Kool Seal on my roof. It is designed to be used on a edpm rubber roof. I think it is quality stuff. Took 10 gallons to do the job. 6 gal primer and 4 gal top coat. If you have any doubts about it call the company and question them. They can tell you if it can be resealed a second time. As you say maybe they did not do the whole roof.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote